Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2010, 04:19 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times

Advertisements

If you believe that Christ is our only mediator and advocate, then it's really hard to say that Mary is co-intercessor, something John Paul II kind of whipped out a few years ago.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to be flippant about it. But since Matthew offers substantial evidence that Mary did indeed have sexual relationships with Joseph after Christ's birth, then I'm not sure how you can make the case for perpetual virginity.

The other thing to consider is this? Is a virgin birth truly necessary? After all, virgin births were commonly ascribed during that period. Augustus Caesar, a half-dozen Egyptian kings, Assyrian, Babylonian figures, Buddha, Zoraster, etc., were all credited with virgin births long before Christ to demonstrate their extraordinary importance. What if Matthew and Luke co-opted the historical tradition 60-70 years after Christ's birth in order to show Christ's fulfillment of prophecy in Isaiah? And how come Paul is silent on the matters, as is Mark and John?

To me, the question of the virgin birth is cloudy and, in reality, a distraction from the central question of Christ's nature. I mean, if somebody unearthed a copy of Luke tomorrow that antedated all previous versions and didn't contain the Magnificat, would it affect your faith in Him one iota?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 04:26 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,840,747 times
Jesus CHrist is our only mediator; he's the one who says it both ways; He's the one and only, but he is also there when you need him in spite f others failing you. That 's why the blessed virgin Mary determines the rest of the difference on sort of the abstract principled ways of believing that first ideal. She is the difficult word for avoiding materialism. At least I think so for Her as the generalization for explaining uncertainty in Nature.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:20 PM

95 posts, read 162,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
You need to take several courses in theological history. Best of luck to you. Sincerely.
It seems I continue to hit a nerve with you. I am relatively new to C-D so am unaccustomed with this forum for the most part and don't want to cause conflict. I did not intentionally mean to provoke reactions though it appears the topic of Mary is somewhat controversial based on some of the responses. Also, as you point out, I am theologically ignorant and must rely heavily on what I read on the Internet. I do, however, read extensively before I post and try as much as possible to document what I assert with historic confessional documentation. I did recently share with another poster that I have been approached by my parish pastor about studying for the diaconate which is a 2 year commitment of instruction before being consecrated by the bishop. So if I decide to pursue becoming a lay deacon I will be exposed to thorough biblical and dogmatic instruction in the Lutheran faith.

I'm not sure what you are referring to about my needing "theological history" courses but everything I post is based on what I have read. For example, the Lutheran church of Scandinavia never rejected episcopal succession and the bishops and archbishops can trace their uninterrupted line back to the early church. Here's some information about this:

"Some Protestant churches, such as Anglicans (including those known in the U.S. as Episcopalians), the Church of Sweden, the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Finland, and the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Latvija, do have Apostolic Succession (also known as the "historic episcopate")."
Apostolic Succession - Mainstream Christianity

"The Church of Sweden, which is Lutheran in its confessional theology, has maintained the historic episcopate in an unbroken apostolic succession and the ordering of priests by an episcopal laying-on of hands up to the present day. The separation of the Church of Sweden from the See of Rome has, therefore, many parallels in the history of the Church of England. Indeed, the C. of S. like the C. of E. has a very traditional ‘feel’ about it with its many medieval buildings, altars, works of sacred art, mass vestments, mitres, croziers, etc., and this traditionalism in the C. of S. is still obvious in the role of the parish priest even in a highly secularized, modern Sweden".
The Experience of the Church of Sweden

The comments about how immigrate Lutherans were received by other Protestants is based on articles I have read and that American Lutherans attempted to fit it was a combination of factors. But since you are from the Missouri Synod background you might be interested in the movement to return to historic episcopacy by Missouri Synod Lutherans like other Lutherans in America, namely the ELCA have done:
The First Reorganization of the Missouri Synod, 1839 — Lutheran Forum

Old 11-17-2010, 02:32 PM

187 posts, read 492,220 times
Quote:
I was born and raised Lutheran. Lutherans do not pray to Mary. Yes, they believe that Mary was a virgin but Lutherans do not pray to saints. In fact, my mother has been a Lutheran for 76 years, despises the Roman Catholic church and does not believe in saints or praying to anyone but Jesus and God, who she believes are one in the same.
I am Catholic and have never "despised" any other religion or church. I find that many feelings of hatred are due to lack of understanding and overgeneralizations.
We revere Mary as all mothers should be honored; especially the mother of Jesus.
Many confuse Catholic traditions with doctrine.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:50 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,573,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemy4kids View Post
I am Catholic and have never "despised" any other religion or church. I find that many feelings of hatred are due to lack of understanding and overgeneralizations.
We revere Mary as all mothers should be honored; especially the mother of Jesus.
Many confuse Catholic traditions with doctrine.

I pay homage to Mary just as all mothers should be honored...more so with her, the mother of Jesus, who is the source of the "Good News" according to those who believe.

And I'm not even catholic, nor do I belong to any "religion."

Last edited by ans57; 11-17-2010 at 03:02 PM..

Old 11-17-2010, 02:56 PM

187 posts, read 492,220 times
Quote:
You need to take several courses in theological history. Best of luck to you. Sincerely.
This thread reminds me of a sociology assignment I had back in graduate school. It's fascinating to read the diverse reactions. Well done.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:42 PM

64 posts, read 62,354 times
Mary rocks! [lightening the mood] OK...I am Catholic and believe she is the most blessed women ever to exist....period. I honor her because God chose her above all women, Jesus honored her and she said "yes" to a most difficult question.

That said, I completely understand why many Christians denominations do not believe the various marian doctrines since they are not found in the bible. Only those Christian faiths that incorporate "tradition" would have some or all of the marian beliefs found in the RCC and/or orthodox churches.

Is it wrong or right to pray to her asking for intercession? Depends on what you believe.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:46 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,869,230 times
Dang Bubba!!! worship what makes sense to you, it doesn't have to make sense to anyone else.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:49 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,869,230 times
Actually I am surprised that they didn't make the goats three stalls down Saints also.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:54 PM

64 posts, read 62,354 times
Dang bubba? Goats? I had to check your location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity