Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2014, 01:15 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,498,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I thought is was well accepted by Biblical scholars that there were other children in the household of Mary and Joseph. Am I wrong?

Yes Jesus had at least 4 brothers, and at least 2 sisters or more.
They were born out of the union of Mary and her husband Joseph after Jesus was born.

Mary and her husband Joseph had at least 6 children after
the birth of The Lord Jesus Christ.

They had sexual relations, and Mary was no longer a virgin after that.

Speaking of Jesus in Mark:

Mark:6:1: And he went out from thence, and came into his own country;
and his disciples follow him.
2: And when the sabbath day was come, he began to teach in the synagogue:
and many hearing him were astonished, saying, From whence hath this man these things,
and what wisdom is this which is given unto him, that even such mighty works
are wrought by his hands?
3: Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joses,
and of Juda, and Simon? and are not his sisters here with us?
And they were offended at him.
4: But Jesus said unto them, A prophet is not without honor, but in his own country,
and among his own kin, and in his own house.
5: And he could there do no mighty work, save that he laid his hands
upon a few sick folk, and healed them.
6: And he marveled because of their unbelief. And he went round about
the villages, teaching.

Last edited by bumpus7; 09-12-2014 at 01:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 01:38 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,498,785 times
Here is another account in Matthew of the brothers and sisters of Jesus Christ,
who were born of Joseph and Mary, after the birth of The Lord Jesus Christ.

Matthew :13:54: And when he was come into his own country,
he taught them in their synagogue, insomuch that they were astonished,
and said, Whence hath this man this wisdom, and these mighty works?
55: Is not this the carpenter's son? is not his mother called Mary,
and his brethren, James, and Joses, and Simon, and Judas?
56: And his sisters, are they not all with us? Whence then hath
this man all these things?
57: And they were offended in him. But Jesus said unto them,
A prophet is not without honour, save in his own country, and in his own house.
58: And he did not many mighty works there because of their unbelief.

Old 09-12-2014, 02:15 PM

335 posts, read 410,097 times
It is extremely important that especially evangelicals and messanics place Mary in
a vital role irrespective of our equally extreme stand on Mary not being divine not
being a conduit for intercessory prayer and certainly not a icon to worhip. So why
do we at least honor her in any sense? Mary via her lineage to David theorectically
and ionically could have been the queen of Israel and Joseph even more insane and
ironic the king of Israel (two week intense bible / dead sea scrolls to get this) Anyway,
Mary a teen was visted by an angel and told she would give birth to Yeshua, but being
out of wedock not only meant condemnation, potential stoning but her fiancee Joseph
Just might have issues with such news? Joseph then received a word in a dream from an angel that Gods spirit made this all possible. We believe that some evidence suggests that Mary and her family were Essences in addition to being Nazerenes and her family having forknowledge plus Elizabeth would give birth to John th Baptist earlier added to family acceptance, but some of these chronologies are conjecture since
God didn't dwell such matters that test faith? Mary and Joseph withstood hardships
Yeshua was born in squaller conditons. Mary early on became follower of Jesus
and presumably gave birth to three additional stepsons of Jesus and one daughter?
We believe Mary may have died after Joseph but can only speculate England or
Back in her home. Again not enough information. Mary played a pivotable role in
nurturing the savior who when He began His ministry made it clear (listen
Religious! ) No one ,nobody ,none other, notta saint notta, apostle, notta my mom
Mary ,notta dead Popes etc goes to the Father but by ME yeshua!!!!! STOP manufacturing Icons, mediators religious as there is but one mediator Jesus Christ !!!

Old 09-12-2014, 02:17 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,739,500 times
This is one of the oldest debates Catholics and Protestants have been feuding over since the Reformation. Protestants feel that Catholics have turned Mary into another god, praying to her for God's forgiveness, asking her for favors, etc. Catholics don't see it that way, and believe that Protestants are disrespecting the earthly mother of Christ in their zeal for disagreeing about Mary.

Mary is the mother of the Son of God. That's big. She was entrusted with the most precious child the world has ever known. We do owe her great respect. But we need to be careful not to turn her into a god. At the end of the day, she is no different than any other woman that has ever lived. She was simply given greater responsibilities than the rest. Catholicism in it's earliest days was a body of pagan converts and pagans tend to favor polytheism. Praying to saints and Mary is probably just pagan tendencies that found their way into Christianity.

Catholicism is polytheism that refuses to admit it is polytheism. You can pray to a saint just like you would a lesser god in paganism, but as long as you don't call them a god, then you're still monotheistic. You can even make Mary an integral part of praying to God for forgiveness. Just don't' apply the term "god" or "goddess" when referencing her and it isn't actually polytheism.

Catholicism is a good religion that teaches good things. Catholics and other Christians differ primarily on doctrine, ordinances and practices. Turning Mary into another God and then pretending that you aren't -- that doesn't make sense to me. There is a very long list of other Catholic beliefs that I wholeheartedly disagree with. But generally, we agree on what is most important: How to be a good person, who to look to for salvation, etc.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:38 AM

20 posts, read 16,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpboat View Post
Hope this subject hasn't already been addressed. I looked back through the forum and couldn't find any mention of how Christians regard Mary. I ask this question since there is considerable difference of opinion on who Mary is in the faith of Christians. As a former Baptist, I basically ignored Mary other than when she is mentioned at Christmas. But we were taught that the Catholics prayed to Mary and put her up as equal to Jesus. I have come to understand that this is not correct. When I converted to Lutheran, the Virgin Mary was mentioned a lot more especially during the holy Eucharist. Mary is acknowledged in the creed, during the prayer when the holy communion is blessed by the pastor and recently one Sunday was devoted to the Virgin Mary. It was during this service last month that Mary was identified as the Mother of God and ever virgin.

How do other Christians view Mary? Is is wrong to ask Mary to pray for us? Are Catholics wrong in venerating Mary? Are some Protestants wrong for disregarding Mary? Is is biblical to honor Mary? Thanks and I look forward to the feedback.
Who ever died on the cross and at his grave was named king of the Jews
Him you honor and him u pray to.

Mary can not save u if u pray to marry and worship her
U sin

I love king david and who is better to me in the time of grief than job? But do I pray to job? Or say save me to a man who sleeps?

Did david pray to Abraham?

Did job complain to Noah when he was afflicted?

That is what the Catholics do. Puting Mary on the same pedistol or even higher than Jesus is sin. For they took a virgin and made her into a idol.

They took a prudent wife and made her into a dumb idol that can not speak. A statue they pray to wood.

Moderator cut: deleted

Last edited by june 7th; 09-14-2014 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: Religious bashing is not allowed.

Old 09-14-2014, 02:22 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,761,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkintheway View Post
Who ever died on the cross and at his grave was named king of the Jews
Him you honor and him u pray to.

Mary can not save u if u pray to marry and worship her
U sin

I love king david and who is better to me in the time of grief than job? But do I pray to job? Or say save me to a man who sleeps?

Did david pray to Abraham?

Did job complain to Noah when he was afflicted?

That is what the Catholics do. Puting Mary on the same pedistol or even higher than Jesus is sin. For they took a virgin and made her into a idol.

They took a prudent wife and made her into a dumb idol that can not speak. A statue they pray to wood.

Moderator cut: orphaned
I think it is fine to pray to whoever/whatever you want to. Sin is killing someone, being greedy, judgmental, etc.. Praying to who some people THINK is the wrong deity is not sin. I sometimes even talk to/pray to deceased loved ones.
Do these religions have such an issue with the Virgin Mary because she is a female?
I have never encountered such fear, hatred, and judgmental attitudes as I have reading these Christian forums.

Last edited by june 7th; 09-14-2014 at 04:52 PM..

Old 09-14-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
I think it is fine to pray to whoever/whatever you want to. Sin is killing someone, being greedy, judgmental, etc.. Praying to who some people THINK is the wrong deity is not sin. I sometimes even talk to/pray to deceased loved ones.
Do these religions have such an issue with the Virgin Mary because she is a female?
I have never encountered such fear, hatred, and judgmental attitudes as I have reading these Christian forums.

Exodus 20 4-5

“You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me,

U are a man and god is god what your heart think is right and what the lords heart know is right is different.
Do his commandments we are not greater than he

Old 09-14-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Exodus 20 4-5

“You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me,

U are a man and god is god what your heart think is right and what the lords heart know is right is different.
Do his commandments we are not greater than he
I don't follow a jealous God. The God I have a relationship with is a pretty cool, loving, awesome, forgiving God

I am not really a hard core Bible person, I think it has some very good info, but at the same time I also realize it was written by men not by God. I know others take every word of the Bible literally, and everyone has the right to do that, but it's not my thing.

Old 09-14-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
I don't follow a jealous God. The God I have a relationship with is a pretty cool, loving, awesome, forgiving God

I am not really a hard core Bible person, I think it has some very good info, but at the same time I also realize it was written by men not by God. I know others take every word of the Bible literally, and everyone has the right to do that, but it's not my thing.
How can u say u are of god if u say u know his book was written by men?
If u don't meditate in his book night a day day and night. How can u know what kind of god he is? How do u know he is kind and not jealous? If it's not your thing to take the words of god seriously?

Can a student understand a matter if the teacher does not teach? Can a wiseman understand a book he does not read or study deligently?

What a student in high school didn't study and do their work deligently?

If u can learn with out listening seeing or paying attention to then I will be silent.

But u can not learn without using your 5 senses so how can u say what kind of god god is if u never learned his ways by hearing his law?

Old 09-14-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
How can u say u are of god if u say u know his book was written by men?
If u don't meditate in his book night a day day and night. How can u know what kind of god he is? How do u know he is kind and not jealous? If it's not your thing to take the words of god seriously?

Can a student understand a matter if the teacher does not teach? Can a wiseman understand a book he does not read or study deligently?

What a student in high school didn't study and do their work deligently?

If u can learn with out listening seeing or paying attention to then I will be silent.

But u can not learn without using your 5 senses so how can u say what kind of god god is if u never learned his ways by hearing his law?
The Bible was written by men. It was also edited and some parts were also destroyed. The Bible was also not meant to be taken literally.

Instead of reading the Bible day and night I rather live life and experience God that way. I rather go outside and look up at the sky, watch the birds, spend time with loved ones, etc. Doing those things bring me closer to God and I am always in awe of how perfect and beautiful God is. I do listen and pay attention, that is how I know God is not a jealous, angry and mean God.

Of course there is nothing wrong with reading and studying. English Lit. was my major in college so obviously I love to read
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity