Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2014, 01:47 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,498,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
I know God is not a jealous, angry and mean God.

It would be better to read the bible that to believe every spirit you hear.

Ex:20:5: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

Ex:34:14: For thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God:

Deut:4:24: For the LORD thy God is a consuming fire, even a jealous God.

Deut:5:9: Thou shalt not bow down thyself unto them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me,

Deut:6:15: (For the LORD thy God is a jealous God among you) lest the anger of the LORD thy God be kindled against thee, and destroy thee from off the face of the earth.

Josh:24:19: And Joshua said unto the people, Ye cannot serve the LORD: for he is an holy God; he is a jealous God; he will not forgive your transgressions nor your sins.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 02:03 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,254,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
You do realize I'm not the only person who believes it is okay to pray to Mary, right? Catholics do this. So you are saying the religion is wrong? What if I was to say your belief of NOT honoring the Virgin Mary is wrong, and you're going to be punished b/c you don't pray to the saints and angels.
Then I would ask the most important question. More important than what any sect or congregation believes or teaches.

[center]What does God say?[/center]

Well, Jesus makes it very clear.
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me." (John 14:6)
There is simply no Scriptural basis for praying to anyone other than God.
"For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus." (1 Timothy 2:5)
So no, I am not saying Catholics are wrong, I am simply in accord with God and what He has said in His Word.

Old 09-15-2014, 04:46 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpboat View Post
How do other Christians view Mary? Is is wrong to ask Mary to pray for us? Are Catholics wrong in venerating Mary? Are some Protestants wrong for disregarding Mary? Is is biblical to honor Mary? Thanks and I look forward to the feedback.
I don't think it's at all wrong to "honor" the Virgin Mary. I think she deserves a great deal of respect. After all, the scriptures do say that she would be blessed among women. As far as asking her to pray for us goes, I'd think it quite a stretch to believe that she would actually be able to hear our requests. To me, the belief that Mary can actually hear our requests pretty much elevates her to the status of God. For this reason, I would not do so myself.

Old 09-15-2014, 04:54 PM

14,886 posts, read 17,170,876 times
Yes, I agree with Katzpur. I also believe that Mary is dead and waiting the resurrection just like everyone else. Jesus is the only mediator between God and man. God bless.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:26 PM

233 posts, read 374,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I don't think it's wrong to honor Mary. But I do think it's going overboard to rank her as high as Jesus.
The church teaches very strongly against doing such a thing. Pointing the finger to Catholics and saying they rank Mary as high as Jesus is a quick emotional accuse. If you're going to disagree with the church at least know what you are disagreeing with.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:41 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,520,612 times
Mary is in heaven and can hear your prayers. She was sinless at birth being born without original sin to be the Mother of God and she was assumed into heaven, avoiding death.

Many Protestants have more of a interest in Mary since the movie, "Passion of the Christ" and they saw just how much she was involved in Jesus's life being there when he died.

Pope Francis says if we ignore Mary we are orphans. She is our Mother in heaven. Jesus gave her to the church when he told John she was his mother now after Jesus died, meaning she is our mother now.

There are many books written about Mary. Very beautiful books if they are written by those who believe in her. Many false ones as well so try to find the ones that hold her in honor.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:18 PM

14,886 posts, read 17,170,876 times
Quote:

Mary is in heaven and can hear your prayers. She was sinless at birth being
born without original sin to be the Mother of God and she was assumed into
heaven, avoiding death.
Do you have scriptural references for this, Janelle? Thanks and God bless.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Do you have scriptural references for this, Janelle? Thanks and God bless.
Rather than some forum-scripture debate spat. I would start here...

http://www.mostholyfamilymonastery.c...irgin_mary.pdf

Old 09-15-2014, 08:27 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,463,489 times
She has a lot of sex. Many children. She was not a virgin. So to honor her is kinda strange.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
She has a lot of sex. Many children. She was not a virgin. So to honor her is kinda strange.
There has been a lot of debate, not only between Catholics and Protestants, about the original scriptural wording of "brother" vs. "cousin" ... Regardless of which way you sway on this issue - I think it is highly disrespectful for you to speak this way of Mary.

I guess - what can you expect these days, especially online where no one has any social consequences for what they say. People just need to slow down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity