Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2014, 02:38 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,810,961 times

Advertisements

I really like the symbolism in revelation. Clothed with the sun standing on the moon crowned with twelve stars. Its mother Earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 02:39 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelDante View Post

Many Christians like myself recognize Mary for who she was, selected by God for the purpose of birthing Jesus. Many venerate Mary out of tradition or sometimes unfortunately misapplying scripture. I can't help but to think of the MANY scriptures of even angels who firmly rejected or refused any undue honor since while God is a loving God he also is spoken of as as a jealous God. Raising Mary up to any status beyond her past purpose is a form of idolatry.
That is your opinion, and I would fight to the death for you to be able to express it

But I will never agree with it, just sayin'....

Old 09-24-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burrrrr View Post
Yes there are. Please read the link I just posted right before you.
To be more specific.
Mary being born without sin is not in the scripture.

Old 09-24-2014, 02:44 PM

But whether it is in the scripture or not is important. Why would such a monumental fact be left out.

Old 09-24-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
But whether it is in the scripture or not is important. Why would such a monumental fact be left out.
My friend, I think you would agree with me that quite a few things had to be left out of the Bible otherwise it would be as big as a car and no one would be able to own one lol

For instance, we know NOTHING of Jesus's life from 12 to 33. Does that mean that nothing valuable and important happened during that time? Of course not!

It is a logical conclusion to make that God being perfect and most holy would need an extremely pure vessel in which to come into this world, is it not? Therefore Mary had to be "immaculate" and born without sin

Old 09-24-2014, 02:54 PM

229 posts, read 337,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
That is your opinion, and I would fight to the death for you to be able to express it

But I will never agree with it, just sayin'....
So we agree to disagree. LOL

I will say though an older man, much wiser than me, use to tell me when dealing with spiritual matters try to use less opinion and majority more scriptural that way ones who agree Gods word the bible is from God cannot argue truth or else they will actually be fighting Gods words. I hope you understand the scriptures I use are to back up my points and my thoughts are only based off extensive research. In order to get to the meat of scriptures one must sometime reference, mediate, and pray for knowledge to be given on a matter. Additional scriptures can also be referenced that relates to how worshiping Mary would be in appropriate but didn't want to write a book like is my habit.

But... like I said I appreciate your response staying civil and respectful and hope we can find other topics or beliefs we do have in common to discuss in detail.

Old 09-24-2014, 02:59 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
But whether it is in the scripture or not is important.
Only to the people who don't like what Catholics believe.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 09-24-2014 at 03:28 PM..

Old 09-24-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelDante View Post
So we agree to disagree. LOL

I will say though an older man, much wiser than me, use to tell me when dealing with spiritual matters try to use less opinion and majority more scriptural that way ones who agree Gods word the bible is from God cannot argue truth or else they will actually be fighting Gods words. I hope you understand the scriptures I use are to back up my points and my thoughts are only based off extensive research. In order to get to the meat of scriptures one must sometime reference, mediate, and pray for knowledge to be given on a matter. Additional scriptures can also be referenced that relates to how worshiping Mary would be in appropriate but didn't want to write a book like is my habit.

But... like I said I appreciate your response staying civil and respectful and hope we can find other topics or beliefs we do have in common to discuss in detail.
I think it pleases God to see his children from different walks of life work to recognize their similarities and not be so focused on their differences

Old 09-24-2014, 03:04 PM

229 posts, read 337,877 times
Quote:
To be more specific.
Mary being born without sin is not in the scripture.
I agree. To say she was born without sin would seem to contradict Rom 5:12 that all have sinned, Romans 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God, and many other scriptures. While Jesus was perfect nowhere in the bible does it allude to Mary being such.

Many may want to simply connect the dots stating she HAD TO BE since Jesus was but does it? God's ways of doing things are above ours as spoken of in Isaiah 55:8, 9, so even as such would we dare question God's decision to use an imperfect person to birth Jesus? Was Mary the perfect sacrifice to equal out Adamic sin or was it Jesus. By putting Mary on the pedestal once again we give undue honor while not focusing on it was Jesus who died for our sins and through him forgiveness is made possible.

Last edited by MichaelDante; 09-24-2014 at 03:12 PM..

Old 09-24-2014, 03:04 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,127,000 times
Quote:
I find this interesting. But there is no scripture referring to these teachings.
We are talking about Catholic doctrines. The Catholic Church does not hold to sola scriptura. That idea did not appear until the 16th century. The Catholic Church also admits tradition and reasoning about the implications of both scripture and tradition, with doctrine being expressed in ex cathedra statements based on those.

I stopped being a believing Catholic a long long time ago. But with 16 years of Catholic education behind me I know the religion very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity