Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2014, 01:17 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,739,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Maybe saying it this way will help you...

There is but one God and Jesus is his son with a special mother named Mary.

All who have died in God's grace are now saints in heaven. See how they are all connected?

We have a name for this - The Communion of Saints, which includes the saints still living on this earth
From my point of view, this would be the sum total of all true Christians in the world. Some people were placed in exceptional circumstances and did exceptional things. Countless of us would likewise do great things in the same circumstances, so I really do struggle to comprehend placing any mortal human, past or present, closer to God than myself or any other believer. I have always read the word "saint" in the Bible to mean "true believer in God." Again, hard to wrap your brain around something when you're upbringing teaches hands you a completely different definition for the same words.

Quote:
Zeus was never real, he was a mythical god, so he really isn't worth our time.
To the ancient Greek praying to Artemis he's real. In my opinion, Zeus is just one of countless examples where there is the realization of the existence of a Supreme Being. Zeus may very well be a much altered and highly corrupted version of God. The same is likely true of countless other high gods of pagan pantheons.

To me, this is obvious because I have always believed that the original religion for all of humanity was the true religion, worshiping the One True God.

Quote:
Furthermore, anyone who would have prayed to lessor god's under him was not attempting to connect TO him but separate from him.

And therein lies the difference in people who "pray" (talk to) the saints and those who worshiped mythical gods - one group was turning away from their god and the other group is turning TOWARD their God
I follow what you're saying but I disagree. How do you know that some ancient Greek guy praying to Artemis is trying to separate himself from the Supreme Being? He sincerely believes he is praying to the daughter of the supreme being. He sincerely believes that she specializes in hunting and that she is able to grant him a successful hunt. How is that any different from Catholic hunter praying to St Hubertus for a successful hunt?

I dunno, maybe I misunderstood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 03:10 AM
Zur

949 posts, read 831,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
From my point of view, this would be the sum total of all true Christians in the world. Some people were placed in exceptional circumstances and did exceptional things. Countless of us would likewise do great things in the same circumstances, so I really do struggle to comprehend placing any mortal human, past or present, closer to God than myself or any other believer. I have always read the word "saint" in the Bible to mean "true believer in God." Again, hard to wrap your brain around something when you're upbringing teaches hands you a completely different definition for the same words.

To the ancient Greek praying to Artemis he's real. In my opinion, Zeus is just one of countless examples where there is the realization of the existence of a Supreme Being. Zeus may very well be a much altered and highly corrupted version of God. The same is likely true of countless other high gods of pagan pantheons.

To me, this is obvious because I have always believed that the original religion for all of humanity was the true religion, worshiping the One True God.

I follow what you're saying but I disagree. How do you know that some ancient Greek guy praying to Artemis is trying to separate himself from the Supreme Being? He sincerely believes he is praying to the daughter of the supreme being. He sincerely believes that she specializes in hunting and that she is able to grant him a successful hunt. How is that any different from Catholic hunter praying to St Hubertus for a successful hunt?

I dunno, maybe I misunderstood.
If it comes to graven images, the simelarity between Catholics and pagens are there, I agree with you. When Constantine changed the pagan temples in churches, the statues remained, just got other names, Zeus where now St. Peter. We have to know that a statue is always an image, people imagin that the golden calw for instant is the God that brought us out of Egypt. Even the crucifix is an image and not Jesus Christ at all, it is a deshonor to imagin that Jesus is in a dead wood , stone or metal, this kind of "communication" comes from pagan worship and I would include a cross. God forbids to make such graven images in the ten commandments, because He knows that it can become an idol, when it is used as a contact, a "communication" to the unseen world. In wisdom it is written, that such statues, what ever name people give them in their imaginations, are powerless, cannot hear or help, it is without life, a dead object (Widdom 13:17), sometimes placed in a shrine (Wisdom 13:15). When someone bows down to this images, regardless if it represents something in Heaven, on earth or under the earth, it is idolatry, a sin to death. The catholic excuse that this image of Mary is not an idol will not stand on the day of judgement, because they have made their traditions over the law of God, Jesus rebuked the Jews and the Catholics will not stand either. The bible tells us to address in prayer our father in Heaven, and it is allowed to pray in the name of Jesus, it is the way to be heard in Heaven, all other ways are the teachings of men. The bible teaches us the way of light, other ways lead to destruction.

Last edited by Zur; 09-26-2014 at 03:25 AM..

Old 09-26-2014, 04:19 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,520,612 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eds0fj469eY

Published on Sep 18, 2013
With great clarity and keen insight, Karlo answers the common questions that arise in regard to the intercession of the saints, such as "Why should I pray to the saints when I can go straight to Jesus?" or "Why do Catholics pray to saints when Jesus is the one mediator between God and man?" He convincingly demonstrates that the Catholic theology of the intercession of the saints is both explicitly and implicitly found in the Sacred Scriptures. As such, Karlo concludes that the intercession of the saints is an essential part of the Christian Faith. To view part II of this talk, please visit Karlo Broussard | Catholic Apologist and Speaker or Karlo's youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmhAUpWrZGc

Old 09-26-2014, 04:30 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCqHLPX2MDA

Old 09-26-2014, 09:49 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,810,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
Nothing wrong with asking questions, reading and quoting the bible, and sharing your own personal beliefs. I think it is great to have discussions and share beliefs and experiences. It is when people think they are the ONLY ones that are right, have no respect for other beliefs, and think they have some kind of obligation to change others and what they believe in (like someone posted "it's time to start fixing things"). This is how religion can become dangerous.

This goes for atheists as well who think they have some kind of duty to "educate" the "ignorant" believers, and who also try to shove their beliefs onto everyone else because they think they are the only ones that are right.
So what you are saying is that it is better to leave the ignorant alone in the darkness of a lie.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
So what you are saying is that it is better to leave the ignorant alone in the darkness of a lie.
Of course not, that is why I posted the videos to explain this and give scripture to back it up.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Wow. the speaker quoted scripture of one praying to lord God. Then inferred that when the one praying Lord God is praying to an angel. Sorry,

Old 09-26-2014, 11:56 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,761,135 times
Quote:
You are correct, it would be a travesty to leave the ignorant alone in the darkness of a lie. Starting tomorrow I am making it my mission to educate people about how the Catholic religion is the ONLY true religion, and if sharing information to try to educate them does not work, then I am going to do whatever it takes to FORCE them to believe this. It really is time to start fixing things. After all, I would not want anyone to burn in hell for eternity if they did not believe in MY religion.

Old 09-27-2014, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
You are correct, it would be a travesty to leave the ignorant alone in the darkness of a lie. Starting tomorrow I am making it my mission to educate people about how the Catholic religion is the ONLY true religion, and if sharing information to try to educate them does not work, then I am going to do whatever it takes to FORCE them to believe this. It really is time to start fixing things. After all, I would not want anyone to burn in hell for eternity if they did not believe in MY religion.
Sorry if I come off as force full. I am blunt.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Wow. the speaker quoted scripture of one praying to lord God. Then inferred that when the one praying Lord God is praying to an angel. Sorry,
I didn't get that. May I ask what religion you come from? Many religions teach praying is worshiping and in other religions praying isn't necessarily worshiping. Praying to saints is NEVER worshiping, praying to God is.

I guess we have to agree to disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity