Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2014, 03:16 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelDante View Post
I agree. To say she was born without sin would seem to contradict Rom 5:12 that all have sinned, Romans 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God, and many other scriptures. While Jesus was perfect nowhere in the bible does it allude to Mary being such.

Many may want to simply connect the dots stating she HAD TO BE since Jesus was but does it? God's ways of doing things are above ours as spoken of in Isaiah 55:8, 9, so even as such would we dare question God's decision to use an imperfect person to birth Jesus? Was Mary the perfect sacrifice to equal out Adamic sin or was it Jesus. By putting Mary on the pedestal once again we give undue honor while not focusing on it was Jesus who died for our sins and through him forgiveness is made possible.
No Catholic would ever believe Mary is somehow more important than Jesus!

Like all Christians we put Jesus and his great sacrifice for us at the forefront of our worship.

We just happen to believe he wants us to honor his mother for the role she played in his entrance into humanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 03:19 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,810,961 times
Plus the argument on the link provided assesses the connection of Mary to the ark. This is True.
But then demands that the ark is to be venerated. We did not follow the ark. We followed what the ark carried. I love all the collaborations of old and new testament. I learned all these from the Holy Spirit. And is comforting to have confirmation. Only thing I see not of the word is that Mary was born without sin.

Old 09-24-2014, 03:19 PM

229 posts, read 337,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
No Catholic would ever believe Mary is somehow more important than Jesus!

Like all Christians we put Jesus and his great sacrifice for us at the forefront of our worship.

We just happen to believe he wants us to honor his mother for the role she played in his entrance into humanity.
The OP original question was also directed at Christians so I was responding as someone who is a disciple of Jesus not as a Catholic.

So may I ask a question? What scriptures do you reference or use in your understanding that Jesus wants us to honor his mother for the role she played as basically the vessel from which God used?

Old 09-24-2014, 03:20 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
The OP original question was also directed at Christians so I was responding as someone who is a disciple of Jesus not as a Catholic.
Oh, I understand, no problem!

Old 09-24-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
My friend, I think you would agree with me that quite a few things had to be left out of the Bible otherwise it would be as big as a car and no one would be able to own one lol

For instance, we know NOTHING of Jesus's life from 12 to 33. Does that mean that nothing valuable and important happened during that time? Of course not!

It is a logical conclusion to make that God being perfect and most holy would need an extremely pure vessel in which to come into this world, is it not? Therefore Mary had to be "immaculate" and born without sin
It sounds nice. But it is a contradiction. God, Jesus is the only perfect vessel. As we are the body of Christ.To put Mary as perfect vessel is strange. As the scripture says no one is without sin.

Old 09-24-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt Thinker View Post
We are talking about Catholic doctrines. The Catholic Church does not hold to sola scriptura. That idea did not appear until the 16th century. The Catholic Church also admits tradition and reasoning about the implications of both scripture and tradition, with doctrine being expressed in ex cathedra statements based on those.

I stopped being a believing Catholic a long long time ago. But with 16 years of Catholic education behind me I know the religion very well.
Thank you,
I see, traditions.

Old 09-24-2014, 03:31 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
By putting Mary on the pedestal once again we give undue honor while not focusing on it was Jesus who died for our sins and through him forgiveness is made possible.
And yet Catholic Mass is centered around Holy Communion and Catholics believe the Host is the body and blood of Jesus Christ.

Go figure.

Old 09-24-2014, 03:33 PM

233 posts, read 374,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
To be more specific.
Mary being born without sin is not in the scripture.
The Holy Scriptures are not meant for prideful, combative people to use on an online forum with one line beat downs. Clearly, I, you, and Catholic Church can not provide one single, superficial, sentence to the immaculate conception.

The link I posted does speak very clearly on it, using multiple Biblical references from the Old Testament and the New Testament. The 30 page paper I posted is literally soaked in the Old and New Testament and explains why Mary is the new Arc of the Covenant.

Again, I said if you are serious about your argument. Not if you are looking for a silly online one sentence quote - which many of you tend to do hundreds of times a day to argue your misunderstandings of a Bible that some Christians can't even read.

Old 09-24-2014, 03:38 PM

229 posts, read 337,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
And yet Catholic Mass is centered around Holy Communion and Catholics believe the Host is the body and blood of Jesus Christ.

Go figure.
LOL I tell anyone I have no idea what Catholics believe since I never was raised in how they interpret things. However one thing is certain... when people use bible scriptures to guide their lives and to get answers to questions it's never let me down yet. But when going off only traditions of men or opinion we are sure to fall short on understanding.

Thanks for your response.

Old 09-24-2014, 03:38 PM

233 posts, read 374,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

Go figure.
This is nauseating isn't it? I have said my piece, and left my part. I literally feel called to walk away from this vacuum tunnel of human pride and spitting! Such is the broken self-interpreting, self-priding theological system of Protestantism. 26,000 denominations and growing.

One thing I kind of thought of today - so many people say that Roman Catholic traditions and practices are remnants of their Pagan culture they just couldn't let go of. That they are disguised, Satanic, Pagan ritualists who actually think they are Christians.

Well - I guess if it is so easy for a Christian church to meet in the middle of the Pagan culture, and soak it up to the point where it can't let go of it's Pagan origin for 2,000 years - just imagine what all of the new denominations of Christianity that meet new believers in the middle NOW out of a source of comfort and "relevancy" are picking up in TODAY'S culture. A whole new level of Paganism isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity