Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2011, 07:17 PM

130 posts, read 164,570 times

Advertisements

Praying or worshipping Mary in any way is an idol, and those that do that do not inherit eternal life

She is a woman and as Solomon said when people leave here they don't know what goes on here I thing may be, maybe

But given she was a wonderful woman of God as David was a wonderful Christian man we don't want to not accept she born Christ our God, and we give David respect, so giving Mary that to, they were both sinners saved by grace as they both said and were then the righteous, but neither was equal with God, she had at least 6 children 4 sons and at least 2 daughters, so she didn't stay a virgin too long, how God worked it out that she had flesh and He was Perfect and sinless even though He was inside her sharing blood He does not explain, but she naturally birthed Jesus Christ the Son of God, She was clearly not sinless as she stated, she got in a bit of trouble at the wedding, water into wine, a bit of trouble when He told her and Joseph He must be about His Father's business, she was with her unsaved children trying to retrieve God for getting in trouble for rebuking the church leadership, she was told my mother and brothers are those who keep the Word of God,

It was said blessed are the breast you sucked, He said blessed I think are those who keep the Word of God again

How people worship her and she has never recieved or answered on prayer nor any true saint in heaven, you know I guess the devil likes it given he came up with the whole thing, so God warns don't worship or bow or pray to her or anyone but God alone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 11:21 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,375,587 times
I think she should be held with respect, in that she too gave a big sacerfice.I know in the Bible it says that God told her of the importance of the then unborn Christ, I belive he probably told her what would happen to him in the end or at least give her an idea. She had upmost faith in God and his plan to go along with it.I do not know if any other person could have done the same.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:07 PM

488 posts, read 1,252,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpboat View Post
Hope this subject hasn't already been addressed. I looked back through the forum and couldn't find any mention of how Christians regard Mary. I ask this question since there is considerable difference of opinion on who Mary is in the faith of Christians. As a former Baptist, I basically ignored Mary other than when she is mentioned at Christmas. But we were taught that the Catholics prayed to Mary and put her up as equal to Jesus. I have come to understand that this is not correct. When I converted to Lutheran, the Virgin Mary was mentioned a lot more especially during the holy Eucharist. Mary is acknowledged in the creed, during the prayer when the holy communion is blessed by the pastor and recently one Sunday was devoted to the Virgin Mary. It was during this service last month that Mary was identified as the Mother of God and ever virgin.

How do other Christians view Mary? Is is wrong to ask Mary to pray for us? Are Catholics wrong in venerating Mary? Are some Protestants wrong for disregarding Mary? Is is biblical to honor Mary? Thanks and I look forward to the feedback.
No, it's not wrong to honour the Virgin Mary, in fact she should be held with respect indeed, but it is definitely wrong to worship her and pray to her as neither she nor any other saints can hear our prayers... by worshipping saints, you engage in idol-worship...

//www.city-data.com/forum/chris...s-avoided.html

Old 04-19-2011, 10:40 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,776,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doesntspringtomind View Post
No, it's not wrong to honour the Virgin Mary, in fact she should be held with respect indeed, but it is definitely wrong to worship her and pray to her as neither she nor any other saints can hear our prayers... by worshipping saints, you engage in idol-worship...

//www.city-data.com/forum/chris...s-avoided.html
Why cant Saints hear our prayers?

Old 04-19-2011, 11:32 AM

9 posts, read 22,429 times
My understanding from scriptures is that Mary was just a woman, albeit a woman that God chose for His purposes of conceiving and giving birth to His son, Jesus. In this she is special, but only God is to be worshipped and revered. As far as prayer goes, praying to Mary is a waste of time. Our prayers must go to one only, and that is God, and are offered to Him through His son, Jesus, our only intercessor. It has to be this way because Mary was only a woman, not divine in any way. It was an honorable thing she did, but she really had no choice in the matter, and it in no way elevates her status.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
Why cant Saints hear our prayers?
because they were humans just like you and me and now that they are dead (sleeping) they are waiting for their new glorified body - - the ressurection, just as we are waiting for ours - - the rapture

Old 04-19-2011, 11:59 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,603,748 times
Quote:
because they were humans just like you and me and now that they are dead (sleeping) they are waiting for their new glorified body - - the ressurection, just as we are waiting for ours - - the rapture
The Bible never says that. It is a tradition of men fabricated as an excuse to ignore Mary and the saints. It also makes God seem like a neurotic father who doesn't want his children to talk to each other because he's afraid they'll start to love each other more than they love him! The early Church clearly believed that saints could hear our prayers and intercede for us, as is evident from graffiti carved into the tombs of martyrs. I would rather believe as the early Christians did than embrace a doctrine made up about five hundred years ago!

Old 04-19-2011, 12:02 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,776,378 times
Quote:
God is God of the living, not of the Dead.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
God is God of the living, not of the Dead.
you're right about it! but what do you think happens to those who die physically?

[LEFT]But go thou thy way till the end [be]: for thou shalt rest, and stand in thy lot at the end of the days. (Dan 12:13)

[LEFT]But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. ( 1 Thess 4:13-14) when? the following three verses have the answer!

[/LEFT]
[/LEFT]

Old 09-11-2014, 11:23 AM

1 posts, read 774 times
Odd to me that some Protestants equate asking help from Mary and saints with "worship" due to God alone. The Church is a family made up of the faithful on earth, and the saints in heaven. In any good family, members look out for one another, assist one another. In Revelations, we read of elders/saints and angels bringing golden bowls of incense to God, that incense being the prayers of the people. If we are to pray ONLY to God, then why in this instance were the prayers of the people being presented TO God by angels and saints? He couldn't hear them directly? Perhaps because those prayers were also heard BY angels and elders in heaven, and brought to Him, with His obvious blessing and approval, out of love and respect? It would be wrong, and a misuse of prayer, to ask Mary for a new car, just as it would be wrong to ask Jesus for a new car, but to say to Mary, "Holy Mother of Christ, move me to be closer to Him, even as you are"? Hardly! Few of us would have a problem with picking up a photo of a deceased loved one and speaking to that person, saying "Dad, hope you're watching over us" and the like. That isn't "worship" or idolatry, it's human tenderness and belief in an afterlife and a continued interaction between those in heaven and on earth. That is what "praying to saints" and to Mary is too, at its best. Have such prayers ever been abused? of course, but so have prayers directed to God alone. Jesus founded a church, which constitutes an extended family of sorts. I praise God for that; and say glory to Him - in His angels, and in His saints!

Last edited by Gunnar1952; 09-11-2014 at 11:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity