Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 08:46 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,623,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
The Southern Baptist credo is against alcohol--and they even oppose their members going into bars and NOT drinking.
The Southern Baptist credo are a bunch of hypocrites. What's that joke about them pretending not to know each other when they go to a liquor store? I'm in the heart of the Southern Baptist Bible belt and what they do outside of the church is in stark contrast to the suits and dresses on Sunday. Really chaps my hide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 10:11 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,946,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Here is a fun exercise to come up with the top sins according to American Christians, not the boring ones like murder and stealing, no one cares about those, I mean the real bad ones, the ones that get the extremists all in a huff.

Here are a few that I have noticed.

1. Homosexulality. It seems like you can't do worse then that one.

2. Girls in low cut tops and mini-skirts.

3. Rock music

4. R Rated movies

5. Dancing

6. Voting Democrat

Any others?

Pointing out everyone elses sins while having your own.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:20 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,690,406 times
hmm,smoking? wearing too much makeup,very very high heels(esp red or black-considered too sexy!),women not wearing gloves with a dress,women not wearing a dress-period,showing your belly button,letting your bra-straps or slip show,not showing married couples in separete beds on tv in the 50's or so.. (LOL),DATING-the fundies like for their kids to court,not date! yes, even in this day and age.

hmm I guess the biggest sin in the south in the Olden days was...

drumroll...

wearing white after Labor Day!!

(no proper Southern Lady would be caught dead in white after Labor Day )

hehehe!!

eta: not keeping your Suitor waiting.It implied you didn't care about appearances,or were too anxious.bad manners for a proper lady.
also a lady calling a guy or a woman answering the phone on the first ring were considered over-anxious and improper ladylike beahvior.
(my dad never liked seeing a woman and 2 men ride together in a car.He thought it looked improper and was unladylike behavior.therefore,when I double-dated,the guys had to go pick up the other girl *first!) LOL.can you believe that?!yes that's true.

Last edited by SC122; 09-20-2010 at 11:31 AM..

Old 09-20-2010, 11:23 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,213,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Pointing out everyone elses sins while having your own.
That may be #1!

Old 09-20-2010, 11:31 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,252,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
women not wearing gloves with a dress
Whaaaa? People still do that?? I bought some black gloves to wear with some of my suits, but I haven't had the nerve to wear them yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
hmm I guess the biggest sin in the south in the Olden days was...

drumroll...

wearing white after Labor Day!!

(no proper Southern Lady would be caught dead in white after Labor Day )

hehehe!!
We northerners (even those of us with southern roots) ignore that! I am still wearing my white jeans at times.

You would have been horrified this past Saturday, when nearly everyone was wearing all-white for Yom Kippur. I wore a white hat, white blouse, white slacks, white shoes, and white toenail polish!

Old 09-20-2010, 11:31 AM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelcroQueen
And there was an earlier period when it was a SIN TO WEAR A BRA in that church!
Quote:
What kind of church is that?
One without alot of support for its members

Old 09-20-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king's highway View Post

Sin = transgression of God's Law.

The big four... all of which are capital crimes [sins] under God's Law.

Blasphemy

Murder

Homosexuality

Adultery

Ahh yes. One could quite logically see why the intelligence that created the universe would be concerned with any of these things.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:33 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,252,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
One without alot of support for its members
Hee-hee-hee-hee! I love it!

But I must add, in their defense, that in the times before this, most U.S. churches would have been horrified at a woman in a bra. Conscientious women bound themselves then; ladies of the evening wore bras.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:34 AM

308 posts, read 427,498 times
Quote:
Here is a fun exercise to come up with the top sins according to American Christians, not the boring ones like murder and stealing, no one cares about those, I mean the real bad ones, the ones that get the extremists all in a huff.

Here are a few that I have noticed.

1. Homosexulality. It seems like you can't do worse then that one.

2. Girls in low cut tops and mini-skirts.

3. Rock music

4. R Rated movies

5. Dancing

6. Voting Democrat

Any others?
My favorite

Old 09-20-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Swearing, premarital sex. Just thought I'd add my 2 cents!

What about swearing during premarital sex? Double whammy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity