Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 03:54 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,191,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
Fornication = Which is having sex with someone your not married to
Marriage is a man and a women who are married to each other only.

Beastiality = Having sex with animals.

Lying
Having sex outside of marriage is a thrill and pleasure. try it. Actually, it's better to shack together than to get married.
Let the animals do what they want to do, they don't need god and his morals.
Lying? Are you kidding?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 05:56 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,155,869 times
I guess this thread was meant as a joke, but the #1 overall sin in America is::

Having other gods before God, thereby not honoring and loving Him nor Worshiping Him as God.

Thereby, the minds ARE deluded.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:11 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,217,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
I guess this thread was meant as a joke, but the #1 overall sin in America is::

Having other gods before God, thereby not honoring and loving Him nor Worshiping Him as God.

Thereby, the minds ARE deluded.
It is meant to be funny but not a joke. It is sad how Christians focus on sins, mostly sins they have created. They have done a great job trying to put us back under the law when all we need is to focus on the saving grace of Jesus.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:11 PM

7,998 posts, read 12,279,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post

First off, June (of all people) apologizes for having gotten caught up in the "frivolity" of this thread. (That part about the nylons really did set her back...)

But in all honesty, in response to your post, she would have to ask (given all the different denominations that you have, and all their varying interpretations) how is one to know that what you cited would be the #1 "sin" in America? --June understands it from an OT biblical perspective, but is not sure that all of Christianity would be 'unified' as regards what the "greatest sin" (aside from no nylons) would be...

Seriously....

Take gentle care.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:39 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,253,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
You girls do have it rough, most of the outward appearance related sins all fall on you.
Yeah -- supposedly.

One thing I will never figure out is why some people think slacks are immodest on women but not on men. That's just goofy.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:45 PM

7,998 posts, read 12,279,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelcroQueen View Post

One thing I will never figure out is why some people think slacks are immodest on women but not on men. That's just goofy.
Legs, Velcro. Legs. C'mon now...

Old 09-22-2010, 12:29 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,253,467 times
AND I will never understand how a dress/skirt is more modest than slacks on a woman, because she must always be tugging and tucking to sit decently, and when she is walking, half of the leg shows (JUNE! ), and there's that natural hip-twist that makes the skirt moooove. Modest? Hogwash! That idea was dreamed up by men who needed to see a lot of leg and who just loved to make rules to keep women down.

When I was in 8th grade at a new school in St. Louis, there I sat wearing my skirts my mother demended. One of the girls told me that I must be "easy," because only "easy girls" wore skirts. She said more I won't repeat. That has SO Stuck In My Head! Now, I won't wear a skirt -- not just for that reason, of course, but it sure influenced me.

But some people teach that women cannot wear slacks! Goofus!

Old 09-22-2010, 04:11 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,567,214 times
I think the dress thing is more about gender roles than modesty. In earlier times, and in some cultures not all Christian BTW, clothing is very gendered or maybe even always gendered. For a woman to wear slacks is therefore seen as "too masculine", or at least I'm guessing that's more the issue.

In the West I think that was more true of the aristocracy. George Sand was sometimes seen as a "cross-dresser" even when she was just wearing what peasant women did. (Granted I think she did wear male clothes at times) Peasant women sometimes wore things closer to pants or the like because dresses were cumbersome in fields, etc.

That leads to some of the female fashion things might have been about keeping women, or "decent women" anyway, out of the workforce. Or at least had that as a side "benefit." I remember reading that in WWII there were men who complained about women in factories wearing tight-clothing because they said, in the euphemistic manner of the time, that it was getting them hot and making them commit sexual harassment. (They wouldn't have used the term "sexual harassment", but they had some phrase) Of course men in the factories were wearing tight clothes because you don't want loose clothing in front of machinery, certainly not in front of machinery of that era. Interestingly I think the men were told to just grow up and get over it because we needed women in the factories and it was not a good idea to do anything that could cause them to lose limbs while working on the machines.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:44 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,691,333 times
most big fundie families tend to have their girls waar long skirts,either below the knee or sometimes almost, or down to, the floor.

duggarfamily.com

Old 09-22-2010, 02:15 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,958,320 times
I will never understand why homosexuality is considered to be a sin. They are genuinely attracted to the same sex, despite the claims of straight people that it's "curable" or "changeable." Someone on this forum once said that no one is truly homosexual. That's complete hogwash. As a homosexual myself, I can tell you with 100% honesty that it is not a choice, and it is a real, genuine attraction. Unfortunately, there are still many "tough" bigoted men out there who just can't get themselves to believe this true fact of nature. Shame on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity