Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 04:38 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times

Advertisements

Okay, I know I'm not religious - but I just thought I would share my own opinions about judging. We all judge to some extent. However, I think that there is constructive judging and non-constructive judging. Judging others in the light of whether we would choose to follow in their footsteps or take the same paths that they have taken is constructive. Judging others and condemning them is not constructive. We should use our judgement for learning and understanding - not for putting others down or to make ourselves feel superior.
I can look at my friends and think - well, they certainly shouldn't have done that! That's not what I would have done! However, I'm still going to be there for them and love them. I can walk down the street and see someone wearing clothes that are too tight or too low cut and think - I sure don't want to look like that! I'm not going to wear clothes like that! But I'm not going to go up to them and tell them that they look like a hooker!
Am I making any sense?

Last edited by Dewdroplet76; 09-24-2010 at 05:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 04:44 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,573,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Okay, I know I'm not religious - but I just thought I would share my own opinions about judging. We all judge to some extent. However, I think that there is constructive judging and non-constructive judging. Judging others in the light of whether we would choose to follow in their footsteps or take the same paths that they have taken is constructive. Judging others and condemning them is not constructive. We should use our judgement for learning and understanding - not for putting others down or to make ourselves feel superior.
I can look at my friends and think - well, they certainly shouldn't have done that! That's now what I would have done! However, I'm still going to be there for them and love them. I can walk down the street and see someone wearing clothes that are too tight or too low cut and think - I sure don't want to look like that! I'm not going to wear clothes like that! But I'm not going to go up to them and tell them that they look like a hooker!
Am I making any sense?
You absolutely do... And I also got your drift...

Old 09-26-2010, 11:54 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,253,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I can look at my friends and think - well, they certainly shouldn't have done that! That's not what I would have done! However, I'm still going to be there for them and love them. I can walk down the street and see someone wearing clothes that are too tight or too low cut and think - I sure don't want to look like that! I'm not going to wear clothes like that! But I'm not going to go up to them and tell them that they look like a hooker!
Am I making any sense?
Thought it was so good that it should appear a third time.

ZZZZactly.

In the sukkah yesterday, someone mentioned offhandedly that some think one of their priorities in life is to set others straight. I have received criticism from such but also criticism from those who think I ought to be out there correcting! You know -- they're supercilious. But I want to create a new word for that kind of action: supersillious.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:02 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,691,333 times
yeah,I love it dew
another thing judgmental ppl tend to do is they think it's ok to judge something,if theirs is better than yours..kept up better,neater,tidier,etc.
my dad does this allllll the time...it's ok for him to critisize my yard if we didn't get a chance to mow..but by golly...his may be better,but it is *not perfect.
I suppose it never occured to him that that is NOT how God judges,and that in fact,he has now opened himself up to the same level of judgement and standard,by judging us.
Just something to think about!

Old 09-26-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelcroQueen View Post
Thought it was so good that it should appear a third time.

ZZZZactly.

In the sukkah yesterday, someone mentioned offhandedly that some think one of their priorities in life is to set others straight. I have received criticism from such but also criticism from those who think I ought to be out there correcting! You know -- they're supercilious. But I want to create a new word for that kind of action: supersillious.
You funny.........

Old 09-26-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
yeah,I love it dew
another thing judgmental ppl tend to do is they think it's ok to judge something,if theirs is better than yours..kept up better,neater,tidier,etc.
my dad does this allllll the time...it's ok for him to critisize my yard if we didn't get a chance to mow..but by golly...his may be better,but it is *not perfect.
I suppose it never occured to him that that is NOT how God judges,and that in fact,he has now opened himself up to the same level of judgement and standard,by judging us.
Just something to think about!
I know how that could be like...in my case, it's my mom......

Old 09-27-2010, 07:52 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,691,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
I know how that could be like...in my case, it's my mom......
that stinks ans...sry you have to put up w that..i know how it is!

Old 09-27-2010, 08:08 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,575,842 times
1. Homosexulality. It seems like you can't do worse then that one.

Your first one isn't a sin, unless heterosexuality is ALSO a sin? to be a sin something has to be a choice, not something that one is born with. Also it must be a behavior or action. homosexuality is NEITHER of those things. I'm gay typing this right now yet I"m not 'gaying'.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:15 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,217,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post

Your first one isn't a sin, unless heterosexuality is ALSO a sin? to be a sin something has to be a choice, not something that one is born with. Also it must be a behavior or action. homosexuality is NEITHER of those things. I'm gay typing this right now yet I"m not 'gaying'.
I think you miss the point. Many modern Christians create sins and rank and elevate them in importance. If the anger and hate we see regarding homosexuality is any guide, it is obvious that many consider it the worst of all, even worse than mini skirts.

Sin should not be ranked, made up or really talked about much, all Christians should do is promote the good news of the gospel.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:17 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,540,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
When I see people express themselves in such a way, I find myself back at the which came first quandary, the chicken or the egg, but this time it is between the hatred or the ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity