Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 02:49 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,253,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I will never understand why homosexuality is considered to be a sin. They are genuinely attracted to the same sex, despite the claims of straight people that it's "curable" or "changeable." Someone on this forum once said that no one is truly homosexual. That's complete hogwash. As a homosexual myself, I can tell you with 100% honesty that it is not a choice, and it is a real, genuine attraction. Unfortunately, there are still many "tough" bigoted men out there who just can't get themselves to believe this true fact of nature. Shame on them.
Believers do not have the same mindset, Nep. It is as different as how an artist and a builder approach a stream and beautiful lake in a flowered field, autumn trees glowing under a perfect sky, mountains in the background. The artist wants to preserve the sight, to dance in the field, to play music there, to paint, to just be there; the builder wants to put up buildings, even though s/he knows that some of the trees will have to go, the stream rerouted, and some will no longer see the lake or the mountains: the scene will be changed forever.

For true believers, everything is measured by what the Bible says, by what is called sin and not called sin in the Bible, by what we understand are G-d's purposes and desires. Those who don't value the Bible as more than literature will not consider what is in it but will measure life by human means: what they desire, what makes sense to them, what is fair, what advances their idea of good living, etc. (Short list, but you know where I am going.) Although true believers hold these ideas in their own minds, measuring things by them, for believers, they are less than secondary to the teachings of the Bible.

So for many who are known as believers, thoughts on homosexuality come down to this: What does the Bible say about the practice of homosexuality? What pleases G-d? What is the bottom-line purpose of humanity? Are we to base life merely upon what we desire? Can there be a better choice than following/seeking all the things we desire?

Now, of course I don't know what you go through as a homosexual. I have not gone toward homosexuality. And further, the number of homosexuals I have known well personally can probably be counted on my ten fingers.

But if you asked me if I thought acting upon homosexuality was sin, I would answer yes, just as copulation outside of marriage is sin, lying is sin, all theft is sin, and so on. Does that mean that you should not be a friend? No.

The only times a believer is bound by the Scriptures to ask you to go your own way is if, while you are a practicing homosexual, you are calling yourself a believer and you want to be in their congregation; the other circumstance would be if, as a practicing homosexual, you want to have private time with your partner in a believer's home. These are biblically unacceptable.

I know that what I have written here may bother you. I am sorry. But what the Bible teaches has to come before even compassion in this circumstance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 01:26 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,352,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Here is a fun exercise to come up with the top sins according to American Christians, not the boring ones like murder and stealing, no one cares about those, I mean the real bad ones, the ones that get the extremists all in a huff.

Here are a few that I have noticed.

1. Homosexulality. It seems like you can't do worse then that one.

2. Girls in low cut tops and mini-skirts.

3. Rock music

4. R Rated movies

5. Dancing

6. Voting Democrat

Any others?

Rap Music:

Being Poor: God want's us all rich, if we are not rich, then God is punishing us for quenching the spirit. (What about all the rich or other well off Athiests, aren't they quenching the spirit???)

Not believing people are going to get tortured for well over trillions of years:

Disagreeing with another Christian:

Action Movies:

Glancing at a woman: (Not staring but glancing as if to see if someone is there)

Going to a different Church:

Missing Church on Sunday:

Old 09-24-2010, 01:36 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,352,087 times
Quote:
I think the idea behind loving God is because he is the ultimate in love for creating us and all so our loving him helps us love others. Jesus did sum it up well by saying Love God and Love others.
I think a lot of the dos and don’ts regarding sex etc. are more about unintended consequences. Being all pissed because some guy has sex with a lot of girls does not make sense but his actions could cause heart break and disease so I think God is more about “hey watch out and think first”.
Amen.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:36 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,540,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
The Southern Baptist credo is against alcohol--and they even oppose their members going into bars and NOT drinking.
A. Jews do not recognize Jesus as the Messiah.
B. Protestants do not recognize the Pope as the leader of the Christian faith.
C. Baptists do not recognize Each Other in the liquor store or at Hooters.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:40 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,540,763 times
But there is the "big one" that none of you will ever admit to, and I know you won't recognize or admit to it, but this thread is absolute proof of how vile it is.

Spoiler
Judging others

Old 09-24-2010, 02:27 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,217,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
But there is the "big one" that none of you will ever admit to, and I know you won't recognize or admit to it, but this thread is absolute proof of how vile it is.

Spoiler
Judging others
How do you do that?

I have no problem pointing out how focusing on sin, especially made up sins is a major problem in the modern Christian Church. If we stopped focusing on sin, there would be no judgment, that is the goal.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:

Spoiler
Judging others
But the Bible does not say that we shouldn't judge. Now, what do we do?

Old 09-24-2010, 03:51 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,573,354 times
Quote:

Spoiler
Judging others
How true!!!...

Old 09-24-2010, 04:07 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,217,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelcroQueen View Post
But the Bible does not say that we shouldn't judge. Now, what do we do?
It says if we judge we will be jugded, I take that to mean that it is not up to me to point out others sins but to preach the gospel of Christ.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
It says if we judge we will be jugded, I take that to mean that it is not up to me to point out others sins but to preach the gospel of Christ.
Oh, yes, it does say that as a warning to those who judge unfairly and to those who judge against others for the very things they are doing. But the Bible also says other things about judging. You know the one about "by their fruits you shall know them," the one about judging rightly within our congregations, and that we ought to know how to judge because we will be called upon to judge angels. Sorry -- I'm at work, so I can't give you direct quotations, but I am sure you know these anyway, just as you know about that log in one's eye, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity