Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 11:36 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,253,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
The Southern Baptist credo are a bunch of hypocrites. What's that joke about them pretending not to know each other when they go to a liquor store? I'm in the heart of the Southern Baptist Bible belt and what they do outside of the church is in stark contrast to the suits and dresses on Sunday. Really chaps my hide.
I always thought that was just a joke. I have known some truly great people who are Southern Baptist, and I can't imagine any of those I knew being hypocrites. They were good people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 11:40 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,217,313 times
Quote:
The Southern Baptist credo are a bunch of hypocrites. What's that joke about them pretending not to know each other when they go to a liquor store? I'm in the heart of the Southern Baptist Bible belt and what they do outside of the church is in stark contrast to the suits and dresses on Sunday. Really chaps my hide.
A deacon at our old church (in the 70's) was very anti my brother (he had long hair), it always bugged my brother how this guy was. Years later my brother saw this guy drunk in a bar picking up girls.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:01 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,498,785 times
Fornication = Which is having sex with someone your not married to
Marriage is a man and a women who are married to each other only.

Beastiality = Having sex with animals.

Lying

Old 09-20-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
Ahh yes. One could quite logically see why the intelligence that created the universe would be concerned with any of these things.
Well Murder is bad, blasphemy would be annoying since he made us and all but not huge, adultery is bad if it is cheating (many Christians count any non-married sex as adultery but homosexuality is an odd one, why would God care?

Old 09-20-2010, 01:43 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Well Murder is bad, blasphemy would be annoying since he made us and all but not huge, adultery is bad if it is cheating (many Christians count any non-married sex as adultery but homosexuality is an odd one, why would God care?
To be honest with you - if I created the universe and people and everything - all I would want would be for everyone to be happy. It's like when I make a good meal or give someone a present - I just want them to be happy. I don't care if I get a thank you note, I don't care if they pick the mushrooms out of a dish, I don't care if they don't use what I gave thme in the way that I intended it to be used - I just want them to be happy.
Murder, stealing, cheating - yeah - those are bad things that have bad consequences. Sex - sex can make people happy as long as they are responsible and knowledgeable. Love - love is a good thing.
And make up makes me feel prettier!

Old 09-20-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
To be honest with you - if I created the universe and people and everything - all I would want would be for everyone to be happy. It's like when I make a good meal or give someone a present - I just want them to be happy. I don't care if I get a thank you note, I don't care if they pick the mushrooms out of a dish, I don't care if they don't use what I gave thme in the way that I intended it to be used - I just want them to be happy.
Murder, stealing, cheating - yeah - those are bad things that have bad consequences. Sex - sex can make people happy as long as they are responsible and knowledgeable. Love - love is a good thing.
And make up makes me feel prettier!
I think the idea behind loving God is because he is the ultimate in love for creating us and all so our loving him helps us love others. Jesus did sum it up well by saying Love God and Love others.
I think a lot of the dos and don’ts regarding sex etc. are more about unintended consequences. Being all pissed because some guy has sex with a lot of girls does not make sense but his actions could cause heart break and disease so I think God is more about “hey watch out and think first”.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:20 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
I think the idea behind loving God is because he is the ultimate in love for creating us and all so our loving him helps us love others. Jesus did sum it up well by saying Love God and Love others.
I think a lot of the dos and don’ts regarding sex etc. are more about unintended consequences. Being all pissed because some guy has sex with a lot of girls does not make sense but his actions could cause heart break and disease so I think God is more about “hey watch out and think first”.
I know some people on this forum probably think I'm completely with out any moral standards (not you, but some) - but I actually try to impress upon my friends the consequences of sleeping with someone. I am in no way shape or form against premarital sex (that would make me the biggest hypocrite!) but I do think that people need to think first. Not only is safe sex a must - but you have to think about the emotional repercussions. Sex changes things - you have to decide whether you are ready for that or not. In this day and age I think it is just silly to expect everyone to wait for marriage - but people should be smart about things.

If God does exist and he did create us all - of course I would love him and be very grateful to him as well. If he doesn't exist, I still love life and everything else around me, and I still treat each day as a gift. Maybe that's not enough - but that's just the way I work!

Old 09-20-2010, 03:51 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
Quote:
I went to a number of churches after I got married, trying to find the "right" one. She was Baptist. First church we went to looked down on us because we didn't wear fine, fancy clothes--we didn't own such clothes.

The second one is the one that came to me and talked to me about having been seen going into a bar. Yeah, I do karaoke, I don't drink. But they drank wine in Jesus' time, right? Nothing wrong with alcohol, per se, just don't overimbibe and become drunk.

That's also the one where the pastor came into the store I was working and told me that I shouldn't have to work on a Sunday, so that I could attend services. Well, if no one wanted to shop on Sundays--like he himself was doing, I'm sure the business wouldn't bother being open. But here you are patronizing the business, along with all these other folks in here.

You know what's hypocritical, being inside and smiling and shaking hands with everyone, and then when church is over, everyone's trying to get out and getting mad at each other in the parking lot. "Me first!" I didn't drive, so it wasn't an issue.

Long story short? I don't care one whit about what the Southern Baptist Conference says or wants me to believe, I make my own choices in the matter.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:05 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,691,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelcroQueen View Post
Whaaaa? People still do that?? I bought some black gloves to wear with some of my suits, but I haven't had the nerve to wear them yet.

no,not anymore.thank goodness
I can recall my mom and aunts wearing their sunday gloves with their matching dress though.Or just white gloves would do.

Quote:
We northerners (even those of us with southern roots) ignore that! I am still wearing my white jeans at times.

You would have been horrified this past Saturday, when nearly everyone was wearing all-white for Yom Kippur. I wore a white hat, white blouse, white slacks, white shoes, and white toenail polish!
OH love it!

Old 09-20-2010, 04:12 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,518,681 times
Women speaking in church..Not a peep nor an amen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity