Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2010, 05:43 PM

32,533 posts, read 22,176,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen antrim View Post
One would have to account for Ninava.
You mean the music group???...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
Correct

In context
Joh 9:16 Therefore said some of the Pharisees, This man is not of God, because he keepeth not the sabbath day. Others said, How can a man that is a sinner do such miracles? And there was a division among them.
Joh 9:17 They say unto the blind man again, What sayest thou of him, that he hath opened thine eyes? He said, He is a prophet.
Joh 9:18 But the Jews did not believe concerning him, that he had been blind, and received his sight, until they called the parents of him that had received his sight.
Joh 9:19 And they asked them, saying, Is this your son, who ye say was born blind? how then doth he now see?
Joh 9:20 His parents answered them and said, We know that this is our son, and that he was born blind:
Joh 9:21 But by what means he now seeth, we know not; or who hath opened his eyes, we know not: he is of age; ask him: he shall speak for himself.
Joh 9:22 These words spake his parents, because they feared the Jews: for the Jews had agreed already, that if any man did confess that he was Christ, he should be put out of the synagogue.
Joh 9:23 Therefore said his parents, He is of age; ask him.
Joh 9:24 Then again called they the man that was blind, and said unto him, Give God the praise: we know that this man is a sinner.
Joh 9:25 He answered and said, Whether he be a sinner or no, I know not: one thing I know, that, whereas I was blind, now I see.
Joh 9:26 Then said they to him again, What did he to thee? how opened he thine eyes?
Joh 9:27 He answered them, I have told you already, and ye did not hear: wherefore would ye hear it again? will ye also be his disciples?
Joh 9:28 Then they reviled him, and said, Thou art his disciple; but we are Moses' disciples.
Joh 9:29 We know that God spake unto Moses: as for this fellow, we know not from whence he is.
Joh 9:30 The man answered and said unto them, Why herein is a marvellous thing, that ye know not from whence he is, and yet he hath opened mine eyes.
Joh 9:31 Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth.
Joh 9:32 Since the world began was it not heard that any man opened the eyes of one that was born blind.
Joh 9:33 If this man were not of God, he could do nothing.
Joh 9:34 They answered and said unto him, Thou wast altogether born in sins, and dost thou teach us? And they cast him out.
Joh 9:35 Jesus heard that they had cast him out; and when he had found him, he said unto him, Dost thou believe on the Son of God?
Joh 9:36 He answered and said, Who is he, Lord, that I might believe on him?
Joh 9:37 And Jesus said unto him, Thou hast both seen him, and it is he that talketh with thee.
Joh 9:38 And he said, Lord, I believe. And he worshipped him.
Joh 9:39 And Jesus said, For judgment I am come into this world, that they which see not might see; and that they which see might be made blind.
Joh 9:40 And some of the Pharisees which were with him heard these words, and said unto him, Are we blind also?
Joh 9:41 Jesus said unto them, If ye were blind, ye should have no sin: but now ye say, We see; therefore your sin remaineth.
Oohh...Christ did not keep the Sabbath????...What does Verna have to say about that????...

Old 10-25-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
John 9:31 Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth.

[God heareth not - When a miracle was performed it was customary to invoke the aid of God. Jesus often did this himself, and it was by his power only that prophets and apostles could perform miracles. The word "heareth" in this place is to be understood as referring to such cases. God will not hear - that is, He will not answer. ]

This verse (John 9:31) has no reference to the prayers which sinners make for salvation.

The only prayers which God will not hear are those which are offered in mockery, or when the man loves his sins and is unwilling to give them up. Such prayers God will not hear...

Psalm 66:18 "If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me;"

Isaiah 1:

14 Your new moons and your appointed feasts my soul hateth: they are a trouble unto me; I am weary to bear them.
15 And when ye spread forth your hands, I will hide mine eyes from you: yea, when ye make many prayers, I will not hear: your hands are full of blood.

[Isaiah, verses 10-15: Judea was desolate, and their cities burned. This awakened them to bring sacrifices and offerings, as if they would bribe God to remove the punishment, and give them leave to go on in their sin. Many who will readily part with their sacrifices, will not be persuaded to part with their sins. They relied on the mere form as a service deserving a reward. The most costly devotions of wicked people, without thorough reformation of heart and life, cannot be acceptable to God. He not only did not accept them, but he abhorred them. All this shows that sin is very hateful to God. If we allow ourselves in secret sin, or forbidden indulgences; if we reject the salvation of Christ, our very prayers will become abomination.]

16 Wash you, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from before mine eyes; cease to do evil;
17 Learn to do well; seek judgment, relieve the oppressed, judge the fatherless, plead for the widow.
18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.
19 If ye be willing and obedient, ye shall eat the good of the land: 20 But if ye refuse and rebel, ye shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it.

27 Zion shall be redeemed with judgment, and her converts with righteousness.28 And the destruction of the transgressors and of the sinners shall be together, and they that forsake the LORD shall be consumed.

Job 27:
7 Let mine enemy be as the wicked, and he that riseth up against me as the unrighteous.
8 For what is the hope of the hypocrite, though he hath gained, when God taketh away his soul?
9Will God hear his cry when trouble cometh upon him?

[Job looked upon the condition of a hypocrite and a wicked man, to be most miserable. If they gained through life by their profession, and kept up their presumptuous hope till death, what would that avail when God required their souls? The more comfort we find in our religion, the more closely we shall cleave to it. Those who have no delight in God, are easily drawn away by the pleasures, and easily overcome by the crosses of this life.]

Jeremiah 11:
1 The word that came to Jeremiah from the LORD, saying,
2 Hear ye the words of this covenant, and speak unto the men of Judah, and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem;
3 And say thou unto them, Thus saith the LORD God of Israel; Cursed be the man that obeyeth not the words of this covenant,
4 Which I commanded your fathers in the day that I brought them forth out of the land of Egypt, from the iron furnace, saying, Obey my voice, and do them, according to all which I command you: so shall ye be my people, and I will be your God:
5 That I may perform the oath which I have sworn unto your fathers, to give them a land flowing with milk and honey, as it is this day. Then answered I, and said, So be it, O LORD.

6 Then the LORD said unto me, Proclaim all these words in the cities of Judah, and in the streets of Jerusalem, saying, Hear ye the words of this covenant, and do them.
7 For I earnestly protested unto your fathers in the day that I brought them up out of the land of Egypt, even unto this day, rising early and protesting, saying, Obey my voice.
8 Yet they obeyed not, nor inclined their ear, but walked every one in the imagination of their evil heart: therefore I will bring upon them all the words of this covenant, which I commanded them to do; but they did them not.
9 And the LORD said unto me, A conspiracy is found among the men of Judah, and among the inhabitants of Jerusalem.
10 They are turned back to the iniquities of their forefathers, which refused to hear my words; and they went after other gods to serve them: the house of Israel and the house of Judah have broken my covenant which I made with their fathers.
11Therefore thus saith the LORD, Behold, I will bring evil upon them, which they shall not be able to escape; and though they shall cry unto me, I will not hearken unto them.

[Those whose own prayers will not be heard, cannot expect benefit from the prayers of others.
When God found so much evil among them we cannot think it strange if it follows, Therefore I will bring evil upon them (v. 11), the evil of punishment for the evil of sin; and there is no remedy, no relief: the decree has gone forth and the sentence will be executed.]

Ezekiel 8:
18 Therefore will I also deal in fury: mine eye shall not spare, neither will I have pity: and though they cry in mine ears with a loud voice, yet will I not hear them.

[God passes sentence upon them that they shall be utterly cut off: Therefore, because they are so bent upon sin, I will also deal in fury with them, v. 18. They filled the land with their violence, and God will fill it with the violence of their enemies; and he will not lend a favourable ear to them. Of his own pity: My eye shall not spare, neither will I have pity; repentance shall be hidden from his eyes. Of their prayers: Though they cry in my ears with a loud voice, yet will I not hear them; for still their sins cry more loudly for vengeance than their prayers cry for mercy.]

Micah 3:
4 Then shall they cry unto the LORD, but he will not hear them: he will even hide his face from them at that time, as they have behaved themselves ill in their doings.

[They hate the good and love the evil; they hate good in others, and hate it should have any influence on themselves; they hate to do good, hate to have any good done, and hate those that are good and do good; and they love the evil, delight in mischief.]

Zechariah 7:
12 Yea, they made their hearts as an adamant stone, lest they should hear the law, and the words which the LORD of hosts hath sent in his spirit by the former prophets: therefore came a great wrath from the LORD of hosts.
13 Therefore it is come to pass, that as he cried, and they would not hear; so they cried, and I would not hear, saith the LORD of hosts:

[The law of God lays restraint upon the heart. But they filled their minds with prejudices against the word of God. Nothing is harder than the heart of a presumptuous sinner. See the fatal consequences of this to their fathers. Great sins against the Lord of hosts, bring great wrath from his power, which cannot be resisted. Sin, if regarded in the heart, will certainly spoil the success of prayer. The Lord always hears the cry of the broken-hearted penitent; yet all who die impenitent and unbelieving, will find no remedy or refuge from miseries which while here they despised and defied, but which they then will not be able to bear.]

A worshipper - A sincere worshipper; one who fears, loves, and adores him.
Doeth his will - Obeys his commandments. This is infallibly true. The Scripture abounds with promises to such that God will hear their prayer...

Psalm 34:
15 The eyes of the LORD are upon the righteous, and his ears are open unto their cry.

16 The face of the LORD is against them that do evil, to cut off the remembrance of them from the earth. 17 The righteous cry, and the LORD heareth, and delivereth them out of all their troubles.

Matthew 7:
7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

Bless Your Holy Word Dear Father...Bless the eyes that read and see with understanding...Bless the ears that hear and believe... Bless the hearts that are open to receive the knowledge of Your truth...and Bless them with the wisdom to do them. Amen.

God Bless.

In Christ's love...and prayerfully in His truth,
Verna.
How do you get around the fact that christ did not keep the Sabbath???...

Old 10-25-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
Verna, I can't figure out why you are always slinging hundreds of Old Testament verses at people. Are you sure you want to live under the law? I hear that's not such a good place to be hanging out. Have you heard the Good News? I think it starts in Matthew, somewhere.
She just does not understand...She will cry 'Lord, Lord'...

Old 10-25-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
God will only hear and answer the sinners prayer for salvation...their humble, honest, heart felt cry for help.

God has judged it good to grant to the prayers of the humble the salvation of the exalted; and assuredly we have many examples of this...

Philippians 1:19 "...for I know that through your prayers and the help of the Spirit of Jesus Christ this will turn out for my deliverance [salvation],..."

Romans 8:9 You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ.

2 Corinthians 1:11 "...as you help us by your prayers. Then many will give thanks on our behalf for the gracious favor granted us in answer to the prayers of many."

Hebrews 5:7 During the days of Jesus' life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with loud cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission.

Psalm 22:24 For he has not despised or disdained the suffering of the afflicted one; he has not hidden his face from him but has listened to his cry for help.

Psalm 20:5 May we shout for joy when we hear of your victory and raise a victory banner in the name of our God. May the LORD answer all your prayers.

Psalm 65:5 By awesome deeds you answered our prayers with righteousness, O God of our salvation, the hope of all the ends of the earth and of the farthest seas;

In the first part of Rev.8 the relation and necessity of saintly prayers to God's plans and operations in executing the salvation of men is set forth in rich, expressive symbol, wherein the angels have to do with the prayers of the saints...

Revelation 8:
1And when he had opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven about the space of half an hour.
2And I saw the seven angels which stood before God; and to them were given seven trumpets.
3 And another angel came and stood at the altar, having a golden censer; and there was given unto him much incense, that he should offer it with the prayers of all saints upon the golden altar which was before the throne.
4 And the smoke of the incense, which came with the prayers of the saints, ascended up before God out of the angel's hand.
5 And the angel took the censer, and filled it with fire of the altar, and cast it into the earth: and there were voices, and thunderings, and lightnings, and an earthquake.

Verna.

A life of prayer is the only life which Heaven counts. Prayer is based on a relationship with God through Jesus Christ.
May God forgive you Verna...

Old 10-25-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Once again, God only hears the prayers of sinners when seeking repentance. If sinners are just apologizing for their sins without any intention of forsaking those sins, then God does not hear them.

As for hypocrites, God despises them. Jesus called them vipers and whited sepulchers.
It is a shame that you do not know what the blood of Christ did...

Old 10-25-2010, 10:10 PM

8,181 posts, read 9,253,623 times
Quote:
How ignorant.

I say it is a lie from the pit of hell, that's what I say. You and hilgi do not understand what that passage means. If you did, you would know that Jesus, a Jew from birth, kept the Sabbath all of His life. Good grief you guys, get a grip would ya...? I mean honestly...this is just unbelieveable...incredible...it's beyond me...

I'm going to bed. Good night.
Jesus kept Kosher laws, observed Passover, Sukkot, Hanukkah, and worshipped in the temple. Are we to follow everything He did? Read Galatians 4:4-5 he lived under the law to redeem us from the law.

When listing sins every commandment is listed again several times in the NT.

To worship the Lord God only (1st commandment): no less than 50 times
Idolatry (2nd commandment): condemned 12 times
Profanity (3rd commandment): condemned 4 times
Honoring parents (5th commandment) is taught 6 times
Murder (6th commandment) condemned 6 times
Adultery (7th commandment) condemned 12 times
Theft (8th commandment) condemned 4 times
False Witness (9th commandment) condemned 4 times
Covetousness (10th commandment) condemned 9 times

How many times in the New Testament is not keeping the Sabbath called a sin or a call to keep the Sabbath (other than the accusations by the Pharisees)?

Spoiler
Zero. It is not in ANY list of sins in the NT.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:22 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,686,271 times
Quote:
In context:
Quote:
Joh 9:16 Therefore said some of the Pharisees, This man is not of God, because he keepeth not the sabbath day. Others said, How can a man that is a sinner do such miracles? And there was a division among them.
Joh 9:17 They say unto the blind man again, What sayest thou of him, that he hath opened thine eyes? He said, He is a prophet.
Joh 9:18 But the Jews did not believe concerning him, that he had been blind, and received his sight, until they called the parents of him that had received his sight.
Joh 9:19 And they asked them, saying, Is this your son, who ye say was born blind? how then doth he now see?
Joh 9:20 His parents answered them and said, We know that this is our son, and that he was born blind:
Joh 9:21 But by what means he now seeth, we know not; or who hath opened his eyes, we know not: he is of age; ask him: he shall speak for himself.
Joh 9:22 These words spake his parents, because they feared the Jews: for the Jews had agreed already, that if any man did confess that he was Christ, he should be put out of the synagogue.
Joh 9:23 Therefore said his parents, He is of age; ask him.
Joh 9:24 Then again called they the man that was blind, and said unto him, Give God the praise: we know that this man is a sinner.
Joh 9:25 He answered and said, Whether he be a sinner or no, I know not: one thing I know, that, whereas I was blind, now I see.
Joh 9:26 Then said they to him again, What did he to thee? how opened he thine eyes?
Joh 9:27 He answered them, I have told you already, and ye did not hear: wherefore would ye hear it again? will ye also be his disciples?
Joh 9:28 Then they reviled him, and said, Thou art his disciple; but we are Moses' disciples.
Joh 9:29 We know that God spake unto Moses: as for this fellow, we know not from whence he is.
Joh 9:30 The man answered and said unto them, Why herein is a marvellous thing, that ye know not from whence he is, and yet he hath opened mine eyes.
Joh 9:31 Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth.
Joh 9:32 Since the world began was it not heard that any man opened the eyes of one that was born blind.
Joh 9:33 If this man were not of God, he could do nothing.
Joh 9:34 They answered and said unto him, Thou wast altogether born in sins, and dost thou teach us? And they cast him out.
Joh 9:35 Jesus heard that they had cast him out; and when he had found him, he said unto him, Dost thou believe on the Son of God?
Joh 9:36 He answered and said, Who is he, Lord, that I might believe on him?
Joh 9:37 And Jesus said unto him, Thou hast both seen him, and it is he that talketh with thee.
Joh 9:38 And he said, Lord, I believe. And he worshipped him.
Joh 9:39 And Jesus said, For judgment I am come into this world, that they which see not might see; and that they which see might be made blind.
Joh 9:40 And some of the Pharisees which were with him heard these words, and said unto him, Are we blind also?
Joh 9:41 Jesus said unto them, If ye were blind, ye should have no sin: but now ye say, We see; therefore your sin remaineth.
First of all, meerkat, when you begin your reply with, "in context," and then proceed to begin at the 16th verse...that is not totally "in context" now is it?...but beyond that, even if you had included the first 15 verses, due to the lack of your understanding and interpretation of the chapter...(the whole underlying meaning in fact)...it doesn't make any difference anyway if you included all the verses or not. To highlight the sixteenth and fourty-first verse in light turquoise tells me you are attempting to stress certain points of which you do not even understand the meaning of yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Oohh...Christ did not keep the Sabbath????...What does Verna have to say about that????...

[font=Georgia]Moderator cut: deleted
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
How do you get around the fact that christ did not keep the Sabbath???...

[font=Georgia]Moderator cut: deleted/edited

Quote:
How ignorant to state that Jesus didn't keep the Sabbath.
Quote:

I say it is a lie from the pit of hell, that's what I say. You and hilgi do not understand what that passage means. If you did, you would know that Jesus, a Jew from birth, kept the Sabbath all of His life. Good grief you guys, get a grip would ya...? I mean honestly...this is just unbelieveable...incredible...it's beyond me...

I'm going to bed. Good night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Jesus kept Kosher laws, observed Passover, Sukkot, Hanukkah, and worshipped in the temple.

There you have it hilgi, Jesus, a Jew from birth, with Jewish parents, living in a Jewish land, believing in the Jewish laws, kept the Sabbath; Passover; Sukkot; Hanukkah, and all the other sabbatical ceremonies and celebrations as did every other Jew in the nation...as they still do to this very day...on Saturday!..for God's sake...LOOK! at what you are saying!...are we even having this conversation...? It is unbelievable...I just shake my head in amazement. FOR GOODNESS SAKE, PRAY TO GOD FOR TRUTH!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi
Are we to follow everything He did?

Uh...hilgi...if you knew and underdstood the whole Word of God you would know that in Scripture we are told that we do not have to observe these "other" ceremonies and celebrations that include drink and food and/or dancing and gathering together of any type.

We are specifically commanded to keep the Ten Commandments of God...the one's He wrote on the two tablets of stone in the ancient days of Moses...the same Ten Commandments that are now written upon the hearts of those who are those who God considers His people..who love Him and do them. These are the people who He knows and who He abides with...who He loves...these are the people who know Him and abide with Him...and love Him, in truth.
Quote:
Read Galatians 4:4-5 he lived under the law to redeem us from the law.

Galatians 4: "Sonship In Christ"

1 Now I say, That the heir, as long as he is a child, differeth nothing from a servant, though he be lord of all;
  • Galatians 3:29 And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's descendants, heirs according to promise.
  • Galatians 4:2 but he is under guardians and managers until the date set by the father.
2But is under tutors and governors until the time appointed of the father.

3 Even so we, when we were children, were in bondage under the elements of the world:
  • Galatians 2:4 But it was because of the false brethren secretly brought in, who had sneaked in to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, in order to bring us into bondage.
  • Galatians 4:8 However at that time, when you did not know God, you were slaves to those which by nature are no gods.
  • Galatians 4:9 But now that you have come to know God, or rather to be known by God, how is it that you turn back again to the weak and worthless elemental things, to which you desire to be enslaved all over again?
  • Galatians 4:24 This is allegorically speaking, for these women are two covenants: one proceeding from Mount Sinai bearing children who are to be slaves; she is Hagar.
  • Colossians 2:8 See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ.
4 But when the fullness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,
  • Mark 1:15 and saying, "The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel."
  • Luke 2:21 And when eight days had passed, before His circumcision, His name was then called Jesus, the name given by the angel before He was conceived in the womb.
  • Luke 2:27 And he came in the Spirit into the temple; and when the parents brought in the child Jesus, to carry out for Him the custom of the Law,
  • John 1:14 And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth.
  • Romans 8:3 For what the Law could not do, weak as it was through the flesh, God did: sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and as an offering for sin, He condemned sin in the flesh,
  • Philippians 2:7 but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men.

5To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons.
  • Romans 8:14 For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.
  • Galatians 3:26 For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.
6 And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.
  • Mark 14:36 And He was saying, "Abba! Father! All things are possible for You; remove this cup from Me; yet not what I will, but what You will."
  • Romans 8:9 However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him.
  • Romans 8:15 For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, "Abba! Father!"
  • Romans 8:16 The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God,
  • 2 Corinthians 3:17 Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty

7Wherefore thou art no more a servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ.
  • Romans 8:17 and if children, heirs also, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him so that we may also be glorified with Him.
In this chapter Paul deals plainly with those who hearkened to the judaizing teachers, the Pharisees, who cried up the law of Moses in competition with the gospel of Christ. The Pharosees endeavored to bring them under the bondage of the law...forsaking teaching the ALSO! the gospel of Jesus Christ. To convince them of their mistake, Paul gives the comparison of a child under age (being kept in a state of darkness and bondage, the state of the Old-Testament church, which he had touched upon in the previous chapter), and shows the great advantages we have now, in the greater light and liberty under the gospel, above what they had under the law...indeed a dispensation of grace, and the way it used to be, before Jesus' coming, was a dispensation of darkness; for then, as the heir, he was under tutors and governors who educated and instructed them in those things which he knew very little of the meaning of it...even though afterwards they would be of great use to him; so it was with the Old-Testament church...the Mosaic economy, which they were under, was what they could not fully understand the meaning of; for, as Paul states, in 2 Co. 3:13, They could not stedfastly look to the end of that which is abolished. But to the church, when grown up to maturity, in gospel days, it becomes of great use.

As that was a dispensation of darkness, and bondage, they were in bondage under the elements of the world, being tied to a great number of burdensome rites and observances, (which is what I spoke of above to hilgi, concerning the rituals they were taught and instructed to observe and abide by...rediculous things), and whereby they were kept in a state of subjection, like a child under tutors and governors.

The church then was characterized by Paul, as servant, being obliged to do every thing according to the command of God, without fully understanding the reason for it; but the service under the gospel is more reasonable than that was.

The time appointed of the Father having come, when the church was to arrive at its full age (when Jesus came), the darkness and bondage under which it before lay are removed, and we are under a dispensation of greater light and liberty.

Paul acquaints us with the much happier state of Christians under the gospel-dispensation, v. 4-7. When the fulness of time had come, the time appointed of the Father, when He would put an end to the legal dispensation, and set up another and a better in the room of it, he sent forth his Son, Who, as he had been prophesied of and promised from the foundation of the world, was manifested for this purpose. He submitted to be made of a woman (His incarnation), and to be made under the law (His subjection). He Who was truly God, for our sakes became man; and he Who was Lord of all consented to come into a state of subjection and to take upon him the form of a servant; and one great end of all this was to redeem those that were under the law (all the added rules and rituals...sacrificing animals on an alter, etc...), to save us from that intolerable yoke and to appoint gospel ordinances more rational and easy. He had indeed something more and greater in his view, in coming into the world, than merely to deliver us from the bondage of the ceremonial law; for he came in our nature, and consented to suffer and die for us, that hereby he might redeem us from the wrath of God, and from the curse of the moral law, which, as sinners, we all lay under. But that was one end of it, for the church was to come to a better place, for he was sent to redeem us, that we might receive the adoption of sons - that we might no longer be accounted and treated as servants, but as sons grown up to maturity, who are allowed greater freedoms, and admitted to larger privileges, than while they were under tutors and governors.

This is what Paul wants us to understand..."the adoption of sons"...which the gospel so often speaks of as the privilege of those who believe in Christ. Israel was God's son, his first-born, Rom. 9:4. But now, under the gospel, particular believers receive the adoption; and, as an earnest evidence of it, they have together, with the Spirit of adoption, putting them upon the duty of prayer, and enabling them in prayer to eye God as a Father (v. 6): Because you are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying Abba, Father. And here (v. 7) Paul concludes this argument by adding, Wherefore thou art no more a servant, but a son; and, if a son, then an heir of God through Christ; that is, Now, under the gospel state, we are no longer under the servitude of the law (rules...rituals...animal sacrifice, etc...), but, upon our believing in Christ, become the sons of God; we are thereupon accepted of him, and adopted by him; and, being the sons, we are also heirs of God, and are entitled to the heavenly inheritance (Rom. 8:17). Therefore, to turn back to the "folly" and "weakness" of a state of a child, obeying rules and rituals and sacrifices they did not even understand, and to seek justification by adhering to them, was NO LONGER! needed!

Paul says this is what we are to observe now: 1. The wonders of divine love and mercy towards us, particularly of God the Father, in sending his Son into the world to redeem and save us...the Son of God, in submitting so low, and suffering so much, for us, in pursuance of that design...and of the Holy Spirit, in condescending to dwell in the hearts of believers for such gracious purposes. 2. The invaluable advantages which Christians enjoy under the gospel; for, (1.) We receive the adoption of sons. Which is the greatest of privileges, which believers have through Christ that they are adopted children of the God of heaven. (2.) We receive the Spirit of adoption.

All who have the privilege of adoption have the Spirit of adoption - all who are received into the number partake of the nature of the children of God; for he will have all his children to resemble him. The Spirit of adoption is always the Spirit of prayer, and it is our duty in prayer to eye God as a Father. Christ has taught us in prayer to eye God as our Father in heaven. If we are his sons, then his heirs. It is not so among men, with whom the eldest son is heir; but all God's children are heirs. Those who have the nature of sons shall have the inheritance of sons.
Quote:
When listing sins every commandment is listed again several times in the NT.
Quote:

To worship the Lord God only (1st commandment): no less than 50 times
Idolatry (2nd commandment): condemned 12 times
Profanity (3rd commandment): condemned 4 times
Honoring parents (5th commandment) is taught 6 times
Murder (6th commandment) condemned 6 times
Adultery (7th commandment) condemned 12 times
Theft (8th commandment) condemned 4 times
False Witness (9th commandment) condemned 4 times
Covetousness (10th commandment) condemned 9 times

How many times in the New Testament is not keeping the Sabbath called a sin or a call to keep the Sabbath (other than the accusations by the Pharisees)?

Spoiler
Zero. It is not in ANY list of sins in the NT.
If Scripture did not mention "Worshipping the LORD God Only"...or..."Idolatry"...or...'Murder"...or...
"Adultery"...or..."Covetousness"...or..."Theft"...or..."Bearing False Witness"...would that mean it is o.k. to commit them...? Scripture clearly states...

“If you love me, you will keep my commandments." John 14:15.

John 14:21 Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him

John 14:23 Jesus replied, "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him.

John 15:10 If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love.

1 John 2:3 We know that we have come to know him if we obey his commands.

1 John 5:3 This is love for God: to obey his commands. And his commands are not burdensome,

2 John 1:6 And this is love: that we walk in obedience to his commands. As you have heard from the beginning, his command is that you walk in love.

Verna.

...and THIS IS The Love Of God...To keep His Commandments...all TEN of them.

Last edited by june 7th; 10-27-2010 at 06:09 PM..

Old 10-26-2010, 08:40 AM

37,348 posts, read 28,449,241 times
Verna Romans 13 :10 says "love does no harm to your neighbor , therefore Love is the fulfillment of the law" , if you believe God hates his enemies , it goes without saying you do to .

Jesus said "you have heard it said love you neighbor and hate your enemy , but i say unto you love your enemy".

You are guilty of breaking the 2nd greatest commandment , and the scriptures also tell us if you have broken one you have broken them all and that would include the sabbath too.

Please do not bother to respond with a bunch of colorful scriptures, you cannot sweeten up a perversion of the scriptures with fancy colors , you are guilty according to the scriptures and without excuse and need to humble yourself and repent and turn from this god of hate you believe in , justified by a perversion of the scripture and turn to the love of Jesus .

Last edited by pcamps; 10-26-2010 at 08:51 AM..

Old 10-26-2010, 09:25 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,686,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
...You are guilty of breaking the 2nd greatest commandment , and the scriptures also tell us if you have broken one you have broken them all and that would include the sabbath too...
Oh dear...pcamps...you never cease to leave me in amazement with some of the things you come up with...

Here...YOU...of all people...who does not believe in keeping the Sabbath holy unto God...and YOU who fights the truth of it with everything you have within you...quotes correctly that to break one commandment you break them all...AND THEN YOU EVEN FINALLY ADMITT THAT BREAKING THE SABBATH IS A TRANSGRESSION......which would be YOU for sure!...(no doubt at all)...but then to falsely accuse me of breaking the second one...I'm sorry...but this is just plain..................I don't even have a word for it. Carry on.

LOL!

Be blessed pcamps.

In Christ,
Verna.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity