Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 05:52 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,190,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
I agree.....don't be sorry for speaking the truth. And what you said is the truth.
Me, too! I agree, too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 06:13 PM

289 posts, read 311,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple_Princess View Post
I think something that gets missed is that God warns us against some things more strongly for our own sake. I always think about earthly parents. If you have a rule against excess sweets and drugs and then you find a huge bag of candy hidden in your kids room what would you do ? How about a marijuana stash ? It isn't that they broke one rule more badly than another but you know that the violation of one will be harder on the child, hence the stronger admonition regarding one vs. another.
As an "earthly parent", here's what I would do:

After I caught him (I have a son) with the bag of candy, I would first and foremost tell him that he was no longer allowed in my house, no longer allowed the inheritance I promised him, and I'd kick him out onto the street to fend for himself. I may or may not also remind him of what a disgrace he is to me.

However, if he called on the phone day and night for the remainder of his life, groveling at my "feet", saying "I'm sorry" and "I'll never do it again" (and sticking to it, to the best of my knowledge)... then I'll reconsider my stance when he's upon his deathbed. After all, I AM a loving parent....

For me, this is Biblical teaching in a nutshell. And I'm sorry, but I think I'll take the "earthly" on this one over the purported "divine".

Old 02-25-2011, 06:17 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,631,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyfor View Post
As an "earthly parent", here's what I would do:

After I caught him (I have a son) with the bag of candy, I would first and foremost tell him that he was no longer allowed in my house, no longer allowed the inheritance I promised him, and I'd kick him out onto the street to fend for himself. I may or may not also remind him of what a disgrace he is to me.

However, if he called on the phone day and night for the remainder of his life, groveling at my "feet", saying "I'm sorry" and "I'll never do it again" (and sticking to it, to the best of my knowledge)... then I'll reconsider my stance when he's upon his deathbed. After all, I AM a loving parent....

For me, this is Biblical teaching in a nutshell. And I'm sorry, but I think I'll take the "earthly" on this one over the purported "divine".
You're kidding with all of this right? Being sarcastic? Lord I hope so.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:27 PM

860 posts, read 1,359,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Don't be sorry at all.

VERY well said and I agree with you 100%.
Thank you for saying what needed to be said.

Peace,
sparrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
I agree.....don't be sorry for speaking the truth. And what you said is the truth.

Thanks. I'm glad someone else agrees. Some of the things I've read on this board are REALLY scary.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:47 PM

422 posts, read 650,026 times
Actually God is NOT like any human man. He has the capacity to care about each and every one of us INCLUDING the way we live our lives. If someone tells you it doesn't matter what you do they don't love you enough to tell you the truth. Humans are born with all kinds of predispositions: drugs, alcohol, gambling whoremongering, laziness etc.. It doesn't mean we should say "well my feelings lean that way so I am helpless". You can choose to be delivered from anything outside of Gods will or choose to stay in it. You cannot tell me to lie about Gods written plan for our lives so that someone won't "feel bad". If someone chooses to take their own life it certainly isn't because of Christ. He came so that we may have life. You can also choose to not believe. Those who follow the word of God also have the right to believe. And for the record Adolf Hitler had people agreeing with him. It didn't make him right it just made him "feel" better.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:05 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,551,185 times
Will God destroy America for legalizing same sex marriage?

This should take the award for the most absurdly silly premise of any thread for the month of February........... well maybe for this week, as the competition is pretty stiff, but definitely should place high for the month, and be a weekly winner, or is that looser

Old 02-25-2011, 09:03 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,389,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Genesis 19
[5] And they [the homosexuals] called unto Lot, and said unto him, Where are the men which came in to thee this night? bring them out unto us, that we may know them.
[6] And Lot went out at the door unto them, and shut the door after him,
[7] And said, I pray you, brethren, do not so wickedly.

These men wanted to engage in sex with the angels, who appeared to be men. Lot said it was wicked, and even offered his daughters instead, but they didn't want women. They were burned in their lusts toward other men.

Jude 1:7 - Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

So, I say again: Even though America appears to be a sheep nation because of its good treatment of Israel, it still needs to remember Sodom and Gomorrah.
It's very interesting that the word homosexual does not appear in the text, only in traditional thinking?

Now, take some time and check this out:

"But a beautiful cedar palace does not make a great king! Your father, Josiah, also had plenty to eat and drink. But he was just and right in all his dealings.
That is why God blessed him. He gave justice and help to the poor and needy, and everything went well for him.
Isn’t that what it means to know (yada) me?"

Says the Lord. (Jeremiah 22:15-16)

The Hebrew word yada is translated in English as the word; to know or that of knowledge.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:14 PM

422 posts, read 650,026 times
So he offered his virgin daughters to these men so they could help them out of their poverty and neediness ? Right...

Old 02-25-2011, 09:17 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,631,430 times
Sodom and Gomorrah is the past. We really don't know or understand why God destroyed it. To say otherwise is assumption. All we know is there were none righteous except Lot and his family.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:19 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,070,442 times
I certainly hope not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity