Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 09:35 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,439,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OreNative78 View Post
No. Only in the eyes of those who see "bad things" in a qualitative, "moral" social view are those things "bad." The person doing terrible things could quite easily be a sociopath, totally unaffected by the misery they bring. This is pathological science. So it doesn't square with any dogma to say that doing bad things makes everyone miserable inside.

Society places this stigma on bad things, and most people feel bad when they do terrible things. But that's an outside influence, not a "spirit of love" thing that's in all of us.

Many people spend their whole lives doing horrible things to people, and through intense, believable rationalizations, live and die happily. This is not justice.

In truth, there is no justice. Just life.
How do you know this? Have you been in their heads? Even if a sociopath experiences no remorse, that does not mean they don't experience a darkness that those of us who do not have that mental illness can possibly understand or relate to.

Regardless, for the majority of us, I think the principle applies. It does for me.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:39 AM

8,186 posts, read 6,964,685 times
Quote:
Nothing I've experienced, studied, seen, read or heard leads me anywhere close to the logical conclusion that something awaits us after the dirtnap. And this is nothing to fear, in my view:

Hi OreNative78, We're different people experiencing different things. I have experienced things that did lead me to the logical conclusion that something awaits.
Does that make me see your beliefs as "wrong"? No. Of course not.
We're on different paths for a reason. I respect your beliefs. What you believe is what you believe, it's not wrong. It's right for you at this moment in time. Just as mine are for me.

Quote:
You remember how peaceful you were before you were born, yes
In your dreams, you are always vividly aware of and remember your waking life, yes..?

By the way I wouldn't expect ANYONE to believe ANYTHING without experiencing, studying, seeing, reading and learning.
And I'll throw in hearing, feeling, touching, thinking, pondering and meditating.

Peace,
sparrow

Old 07-29-2011, 09:43 AM

334 posts, read 488,547 times
Quote:
Dahmer, Bundy, some of the more corrupt Popes, etc.

My biggest problem with religion (and Christianity specifically) is that someone can be a horrific person their entire life, murder, rape, subjugate, steal, etc. and then "accept Jesus" at the end, and Christianity explains that they will be entering paradise while a saintly African child who helps his village but has no belief in Christ would burn in the fires of hell.

This is the ultimate deal-breaker to me. I'm certain some Christians will tell me that this is not how it works, but scripture supports my view.
To me, this is strong evidence for...
First, you act as though the saintly child (is there really such thing) has anything good in him to earn God's favor. This is against what the bible teaches.

Also, for an example from the bible, you only have to look at thief on the cross...

Old 07-29-2011, 10:11 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,228,328 times
Quote:
Do they? Plenty of brutal dictators died in the lap of luxury.

Plenty of warm-hearted, gentle, meek souls who want nothing but goodness for even their enemies suffered horrible fates at the end.

Life is not fair. That should be the first commandment in my new "religion." Thou shalt get used to it!
But...were those dictators truly happy...did they have the peace which surpasses understanding...I think NOT!

There are plenty of people who live in abject poverty, who are starving, who have absolutely nothing...that manage to find JOY and PEACE in whatever circumstances they find themselves in...that is a lesson we ALL can learn and a very important one we've been taught but haven't learned yet.

Life isn't fair...and some have it worse than others...but we can find JOY in any experience whether it is labeled good or bad...simply because we are alive and can experience it.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:21 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,228,328 times
Just because what we see on the outside of another and is perceived by us as a happy life full of luxuries...may not be the case...for NO ONE knows the inner man of another person...what is truly in the heart and mind...what inner demons they contend with. Just because the picture looks pretty on the outside...doesn't mean it is. Just saying...

Old 07-29-2011, 10:32 AM

I was touched by Mr. Dahmer, testimony.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Society places this stigma on bad things, and most people feel bad when they do terrible things. But that's an outside influence, not a "spirit of love" thing that's in all of us.

Just curious ... read in another thread that you & your wife, both atheists, gave money to a stranger in need. As you said, an altruistic act. To me, that's the spirit of love in you in action. What do you attribute it to?

Old 07-29-2011, 11:09 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,557,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hose111 View Post
I was touched by Mr. Dahmer, testimony.
It's a smart move on his part considering the views of most Christians and the sheer number of those Christians.

Perhaps it's real remorse or perhaps he hopes there is a lobbying for his release because of it. Could it be a last ditch effort to continue his evil ways?

Old 07-29-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
It's a smart move on his part considering the views of most Christians and the sheer number of those Christians.

Perhaps it's real remorse or perhaps he hopes there is a lobbying for his release because of it. Could it be a last ditch effort to continue his evil ways?
Doubt it. He was sentenced to 15 consecutive life sentences, I think it was, in one state (I just read this a minute ago, but the memory ain't what it used to be, so that might not be totally accurate ). And another life sentence in another state after that. Don't think he probably had any illusions of being released. (He was beaten to death in prison, btw.)

Old 07-29-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post

No one knows 100% a person's intentions. But he sounded genuine.

When you are locked up in prison, it is easier to commit your life to God. There are less opporutnities to sin. Not sure if he would've been pure on his own, but he sounded geniune.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity