Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 02:07 PM

2,705 posts, read 3,119,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Wow! This is the best reason I've ever heard of to believe in Jesus. Apparently belief gives you a free license to do literally anything. You can even murder people, cut them up, stick them in your freezer and then cook them up for dinner whenever you get the urge for human flesh. And it's all forgiven.
You have to ask for forgiveness in order to receive it, and even then you will made to give account after your life is over and you stand before the Righteous Judge.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:18 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,631,047 times
I think the man had some demons in him. If you let them in, they will stay.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:18 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,865,092 times
I don't know what to think, was he mentally ill or just pure evil; I think I will leave that up to God to sort out and whatever the man upstairs decides is fine with me.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:20 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,008,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hose111 View Post
what mean exude please
extract/learn/gather/sum total

Old 07-29-2011, 02:20 PM

223 posts, read 268,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Hi there, only have a minute before I have to leave and I'm wondering if this thread will be closed by the time I get back home tonight. So just had to say one quick thing.

Hey there OreNative78, Now..you know nothing about me, or my journey. You know nothing of what I have seen with my own eyes, heard with my own ears, and felt with my own heart, and thought, pondered and meditated with my own brain. So how could you possibly know what I'm basing ANYTHING on, friend? I do NOT base "it" on faith alone.

Maybe somewhere along the line, on your journey, something will happen that will open you up to a different possibility....

Keep your mind open...you have no idea just how "logical" some things can become, once you've tasted of a different reality.

The only harm there is, is when you set up blockades and barriers on your own path. It's counterproductive. Keep things open, keep the roads open, you may decide to venture down one of them someday. What has been true for me is peering down a road, seeing absolutely nothing, turning around and then much later being drawn back to that same "nothing" road because I see something on it I didn't see before.

Keep it open... and you can't go wrong.
peace to you,
sparrow
I wasn't making a value judgment on your belief. (Why would the thread be closed? Because Christians don't like people who deign to question faith?)

I'm saying that when you use the word "logical", you need to remember that it is a specific word, with a specific meaning. Believing in the supernatural is not "logical", and even the most devout theologian should agree with me on that, in an academic sense.

My mind is open. I also know that the human mind has an AMAZING ability to trick itself into believing something is real, when it's not. I've had brain surgery to remove a tumor before, and I've been personal witness to the degrees in which physical abnormalities in the brain alter your perceived "reality".

Accordingly, unless something is objectively proveable and verifiable, I refuse to accept it on faith.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
WOW...who's been peeing on your Cheerios? You are extremely negative and jaded about life. Don't you realize that all that negativity will bring negativity back to you.
I'm not being negative, I'm making factual remarks. I'm sorry if the facts anger you, though I'm not very surprised. Devoutly religious people tend to bristle when you speak to them logically, in my experience.

Quote:
I certainly have experienced the peach which surpasses understanding as I took care of my mother while and until she died at home as she wished to...and that peace carried me through it all. I guess it is just something that has to be experienced first hand to understand it.
If you've experienced it, then it doesn't surpass understanding.

I understand the religious need to use flowery language to attempt underscore the euphoria they feel when they buy into the eternal life concept, but that doesn't mean it's beyond understanding. It's a very real, tangible thing. You accepted your mother's fate, and your affection for her carried you through the day. A lot of this comes from the adrenal glands.

It's not "peace that surpasses" understanding, unless you're merely trying to emulate Robert Frost in a poetry competitiong, which I don't think we're trying to do.

Right?

Old 07-29-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
If they have no "normal" responses, how can anyone who does have normal responses possibly understand what that experience is like?

Also, if they have no normal responses like the rest of us which would restrain them from doing evil things, are they really evil or are they sick? I don't know if Dahmer was a sociopath or not. If he was, then his experience is foreign to me and anyone who isn't a sociopath. But if he wasn't, then I would say the principle of reaping and sowing applies to him as it does to the majority of us.
I'd stop you here and merely suggest you read up on criminal psychological. The brain is an internal organ, just like the stomach, heart, spleen and kidneys. It's observable, studyable, and conclusions can be drawn from the study. I can't give you an entire psychology course via message board.

Quote:
In my own life, the reap/sow principle as an inward experience has shown itself to be valid and I appreciate the wisdom of it. If you haven't experienced that then it makes sense that what I have to say won't mean much to you.
Oprah shopped this concept around for a huge profit. I understand religion does the same.

I do kinds things for others -- my lack of faith in fairy tale religions doesn't stop that.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
I think the man had some demons in him. If you let them in, they will stay.
Yes, Dahmer had some demons in him for sure. Earlier in his life he may have tried to fight them but he ultimately lost. He gave in to his demons and became what history will remember him as.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:06 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
What exactly is this thread about? I know who Dahmer is, but what exactly are we to exude by what we think of an individual.
I assume the OP was referring to the fact that Dahmer supposedly became a Christian while he was in prison.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I assume the OP was referring to the fact that Dahmer supposedly became a Christian while he was in prison.
So that tells us he was at least partially human.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity