Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2011, 01:11 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,100,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgertutt View Post
Sooner or later everyone will believe on God's only begotten Son and will be saved, just as surely as Lydia, and Saul of Tarsus did when God laid hold on them by His sovereign grace and caused Jesus to be "choice" in their heart.

We know this because "God will have all men to be saved."

It's a matter of God's timing for each individual.

God's grace can temporarily be resisted to teach lessons.
But God's grace can never be defeated.
What lesson is resistance going to teach???...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Also, regarding John 3, I think it's important to remember that appolumi, the same Greek word for perish, also means to be in a state of being lost.

We are all lost until Jesus finds us.
And sooner or later He will find us all, because God will have all mankind to be saved (1Tim. 2:4).

A snippet from
"What Does it Mean to Perish?"
Whenever you see Jesus use a word such as “perish” or “destroy,” the original word is “apollumi.”
The Greek word “apollumi” means to “to lose, or to be lost.
What Does it Mean to "Perish?"
I like the way you Bold 'wil have' as if it is a future tense verb when it is in fact not...

Old 10-16-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
I thank God for being able to understand that believers in eternal torment will remain believers in eternal torment for as long as God wants them to. I believe that God needs them as a foil of contrast against which He will demonstrate the power of His love that never fails, and His undefeatable grace.
Which is Purgatory, a Roman Catholic Belief...

Old 10-16-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post
The only Book that CHRISTians should exhort one another to read is God’s Word. For you to tell people to read the teachings of men in order to know the Way of Truth proves your heart has put their teachings up as necessary for understanding God’s Word and is a typical requirement of cults.

No, we do not need any man to interpret for us; we need only the Spirit of God – and the Word of God. He will teach us. (1 John 2:27 & Psalm 32:8) He will give us more insight than all our teachers. (Psalm 119:99) He will interpret for us. (1 Cor. 2:12-14) He will guide us into all Truth. (John 16:13)
Amen!...

Old 10-16-2011, 01:22 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,413,829 times
Default The lesson that Saul of Tarsus learned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
What lesson is resistance going to teach???...
Saul of Tarsus vigorously resisted Christ and His messengers.
Paul learned that when it comes time for God to lay hold on an individual by His sovereign grace and make Jesus "choice" in their heart, all resistance is ultimately futile.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Saul of Tarsus vigorously resisted Christ and His messengers.
Paul learned that when it comes time for God to lay hold on an individual by His sovereign grace and make Jesus "choice" in their heart, all resistance is ultimately futile.
Where in the letters is that stated?...

Old 10-16-2011, 01:29 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,413,829 times
Post kolasis aionios it will be exactly what God sees each person needs

Quote:
Which is Purgatory, a Roman Catholic Belief...
The RCs got it partly right.
But they teach that "kolasis aionion" is only for baptised Catholics with unrepented sins.
The truth is that kolasis aionion (age-during corrective chastisement) is for all sinners who need it. Matt. 25:46

Greek scholar William Barclay wrote concerning kolasis aionion (age-during corrective chastisement) in Matthew 25:46
"The Greek word for punishment is kolasis. There is no instance in Greek secular literature where kolasis does not mean remedial punishment. It is a simple fact that in Greek kolasis always means remedial punishment. God's punishment is always for man's cure."

See what other Greek scholars say about it too.
AN ANALYTICAL STUDY OF WORDS
Chapter Eleven

Fifteen literally translated (not interpretively translated) Bibles that reveal what God will do with the sinners in Matthew 25:46
Concordant Literal, Young’s literal, Wilson’s Emphatic Diaglott, Rotherham’s Emphasized, Scarlett’s, J.W. Hanson’s New Covenant, Twentieth Century, Ferrar Fenton, The Western New Testament, Weymouth’s (unedited), Clementson’s, The New Testament of our Lord and Savior Jesus Anointed, The Restoration of Original Sacred Name Bible, Bullinger’s Companion Bible margins, Jonathan Mitchell’s translation (2010).

Old 10-16-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
The RCs got it partly right.
But they teach that "kolasis aionion" is only for baptised Catholics with unrepented sins.
The truth is that kolasis aionion (age-during corrective chastisement) is for all sinners who need it. Matt. 25:46

Greek scholar William Barclay wrote concerning kolasis aionion (age-during corrective chastisement) in Matthew 25:46
"The Greek word for punishment is kolasis. There is no instance in Greek secular literature where kolasis does not mean remedial punishment. It is a simple fact that in Greek kolasis always means remedial punishment. God's punishment is always for man's cure."

See what other Greek scholars say about it too.
AN ANALYTICAL STUDY OF WORDS
Chapter Eleven

Fifteen literally translated (not interpretively translated) Bibles that reveal what God will do with the sinners in Matthew 25:46
Concordant Literal, Young’s literal, Wilson’s Emphatic Diaglott, Rotherham’s Emphasized, Scarlett’s, J.W. Hanson’s New Covenant, Twentieth Century, Ferrar Fenton, The Western New Testament, Weymouth’s (unedited), Clementson’s, The New Testament of our Lord and Savior Jesus Anointed, The Restoration of Original Sacred Name Bible, Bullinger’s Companion Bible margins, Jonathan Mitchell’s translation (2010).
So far 'Hope Beyond Hell' author has taken three verses out of context and misapplied them...

Eze 18:1 The word of the LORD came unto me again, saying,
Eze 18:2 What mean ye, that ye use this proverb concerning the land of Israel, saying, The fathers have eaten sour grapes, and the children's teeth are set on edge?
Eze 18:3 As I live, saith the Lord GOD, ye shall not have occasion any more to use this proverb in Israel.
Eze 18:4 Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.

The above is speaking of Israel, however, If it was speaking of the whole world, that is all it says, everyone is His, He made them so they are His...But the author only used part of that verse, the end of it says 'THe soul that sinneth, it shall die'...

Jer 31:1 At the same time, saith the LORD, will I be the God of all the families of Israel, and they shall be my people.
Jer 31:2 Thus saith the LORD, The people which were left of the sword found grace in the wilderness; even Israel, when I went to cause him to rest.
Jer 31:3 The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee.
Jer 31:4 Again I will build thee, and thou shalt be built, O virgin of Israel: thou shalt again be adorned with thy tabrets, and shalt go forth in the dances of them that make merry.

Again, the author takes out of context and misapplies 31:3, he staes that Hawyaw says ' God who loves man with an everlasting love (Jer. 31:3)'...Again, Hawyaw is speaking to and about Israel...

Luk 12:54 And he said also to the people, When ye see a cloud rise out of the west, straightway ye say, There cometh a shower; and so it is.
Luk 12:55 And when ye see the south wind blow, ye say, There will be heat; and it cometh to pass.
Luk 12:56 Ye hypocrites, ye can discern the face of the sky and of the earth; but how is it that ye do not discern this time?
Luk 12:57 Yea, and why even of yourselves judge ye not what is right?
Luk 12:58 When thou goest with thine adversary to the magistrate, as thou art in the way, give diligence that thou mayest be delivered from him; lest he hale thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer, and the officer cast thee into prison.
Luk 12:59 I tell thee, thou shalt not depart thence, till thou hast paid the very last mite.

Here again, Luke 12:57 is taken out of context for one AND it is changed into a command when in reality it is a question to His audience...'Jesus commands us to judge for ourselves what is right (Lu 12:57).'...Note the question mark in the actual verse above....So, far I am not impressed with his logic or reason...

Last edited by Richard1965; 10-16-2011 at 04:56 PM..

Old 10-16-2011, 04:57 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,116,512 times
Quote:
So far 'Hope Beyond Hell' author has taken three verses out of context and misapplied them....
This coming from someone who believes God created some people solely for the purpose of eternally tormenting them.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
This coming from someone who believes God created some people solely for the purpose of eternally tormenting them.
I'm sorry...What did you say...I wasn't listening?....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity