Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2012, 10:29 PM

63,827 posts, read 40,118,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Lee, there are three phases to Sanctification.

Positional Sanctification which is automatic at the moment of faith in Jesus Christ. Acts 26:18; 1 Cor 6:11; Heb 10:10,14

Experiential Sanctification which requires continued spiritual growth of the believer after salvation. Eph 5; 2 Cor 7:1; 2 Tim 2:19-22

Ultimate Sanctification which is future and pertains to the resurrection of the body. Phil 3:21; 1 John 3:2; Rom 8:29; 1 Cor 15:35-54. The word sanctification itself is not used, but the principle applies.
And don't forget the hypostatic, hydromatic, hypnogogic, hydrostatic, hypocritical, kenotic, stenotic, hypnosis too. It is not something simple you know . . . like just "love God and each other"and repent when you don't or something!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 03:06 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,047,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletWren View Post
Yes, Christ set us free from trying TO DO things or NOT DO things to make ourselves worthy. He loves us where we are. This is NOT saying that those who love God will indulge in sinful things of the world or encourage others to do things that the law tells us not to do. It is not a carte blanche license to seek as much self gratification as you can bear. This only leads to unhappiness anyway.

When you seek God in your heart, then He begins to put those things in your heart that bear fruit.
Yeshua Ha Meshiach did not do away with Torah...

Old 02-09-2012, 03:28 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,047,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
I think what Verna believes is (and correct me if I'm wrong), that no one is saved just because they keep the law, but no one is saved if they don't keep it. Verna?
Faith is NOT just Passive NEITHER is it Active...It is both...

Old 02-09-2012, 06:41 AM

661 posts, read 622,339 times
Mike, please can you provide some more information on what the "believer's rewards" are that will be awarded to the obedient at the judgment?

Thank you

Stephanie

Old 02-09-2012, 07:50 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,463,489 times
i cannot be saved by keeping the law becasue there are too many. i think over 600 of them. so when someone tells me to keep the sabbath but cannot remember at least another 300 by memory then i think they are picking what suits them. My memory cannot contain that many laws. I guess i depend on the Mercy of God.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:59 AM

661 posts, read 622,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
i cannot be saved by keeping the law becasue there are too many. i think over 600 of them. so when someone tells me to keep the sabbath but cannot remember at least another 300 by memory then i think they are picking what suits them. My memory cannot contain that many laws. I guess i depend on the Mercy of God.
Hi Torpedos, what you have written here is precisely why it is absolutely imperative to have an accurate understanding of what "law" means in the NT. It is a word not used arbitrarily and it does not always refer to the 613 rules of the Mosaic Law. Those 613 are not the law that Christians are required to obey. But if we don't understand the important distinctions that Paul makes about law, we risk tossing out the baby with the bathwater.... a mistake with huge consequences to our understanding of the necessity of obedience.
Blessings
Steph

Old 02-09-2012, 08:08 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,700,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph1980 View Post
Hi Torpedos, what you have written here is precisely why it is absolutely imperative to have an accurate understanding of what "law" means in the NT. It is a word not used arbitrarily and it does not always refer to the 613 rules of the Mosaic Law. Those 613 are not the law that Christians are required to obey. But if we don't understand the important distinctions that Paul makes about law, we risk tossing out the baby with the bathwater.... a mistake with huge consequences to our understanding of the necessity of obedience.
Blessings
Steph
Amen, Steph !!

Old 02-09-2012, 08:10 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,366,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
The JUST shall live by their FAITH - not the UNJUST. Just means righteous - look it up.

No one can be justified by keeping the law - we are justified by faith - BUT who is it that has the faith that justifies???.....

>>>Rom 2:13 For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.

John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath eternal life; but he that obeyeth not the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abideth on him.

Only those who obey have the faith that justifies!

Go here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/chris...hed-blood.html

...and read my replies....that'll save a lot of typing.

God Bless,
Verna.

Verna, you're awesome.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:21 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,663,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
Verna, you're awesome.
redvelvet, so are you ! God Bless you sweetheart !

Old 02-09-2012, 08:54 AM

987 posts, read 1,119,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Yeshua Ha Meshiach did not do away with Torah...
Well, Richard, you continue to do what your heart tells you to. I have found freedom in Christ.

I will listen to Paul who said attempting to become righteous by adherence to the law is like being Hagar, a bondwoman. I choose to be like Sarah, the free woman. The law was a contract promising rewards based on man's actions. The promise, given to Abraham, was NOT dependent on anything Abraham did. God put Abraham to sleep and HE implemented the covenant strictly based on what He would do because it pleases Him to do it. The law did NOT nullify the promise. The law was given to show us how sinful we are.

This is NOT to say that believers SHOULD devote themselves to this carnal world and run after the pleasures of it. Only those who are pruned and die to self will rule with Christ. But I will NOT insist upon someone following a checklist. God writes in our hearts what we should do and the FIRST AND MOST IMPORTANT law is to love God and when we realize who He is and what He is doing for and in us, that outshines any good deed we can ever perform. THEN we are to love our neighbor as ourselves and if you can do that, you will be a disciple of the Son of God and on your way to becoming a disciple yourself. I can't say I'm even close to being there. God has a lot of pruning to do in my heart.

But you continue to check each step you take by the law. If you find comfort in that, far be it from me to snatch it away.

May the sunshine of God's love shine in each one's heart today and draw us ever closer to His radiance.

Peace.

Last edited by ScarletWren; 02-09-2012 at 09:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity