Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 09:54 AM

28,150 posts, read 30,093,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael17 View Post
We are judged based on our own deeds not Adams.
God is a merciful God.
Right. Furthermore, if Christ died that we might be forgiven of our sins, did He not also die that Adam might be forgiven of his sins? Why on earth would God still be holding us accountable for something Adam did if Adam's sin was covered by Jesus' Atonement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 10:03 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,437,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
You don't see how saying that God must punish us contradicts that God loves unconditionally and forgives sins? It's nonsensical. If you believe the former, please stop saying you believe the latter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by romans519 View Post
So how can you be a God of justice and leave sin unpunished? Jesus took our place, showing God's perfect love and justice.

Romans519, I'm just going to keep bringing you back to the point: you say God's love and forgiveness is unconditional, but also say it is conditional when you say that God must punish us for our sin.

Pick one.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:09 AM

6,674 posts, read 4,301,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Right. Furthermore, if Christ died that we might be forgiven of our sins, did He not also die that Adam might be forgiven of his sins? Why on earth would God still be holding us accountable for something Adam did if Adam's sin was covered by Jesus' Atonement?
That's the whole point. If a person accepts Jesus' sacrifice, He doesn't hold them accountable anymore. That's the message of salvation, becoming righteous because of His blood.

Rom 5:19
For just as through the disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the one man the many will be made righteous

Old 08-15-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
That's the whole point. If a person accepts Jesus' sacrifice, He doesn't hold them accountable anymore. That's the message of salvation, becoming righteous because of His blood.
So are you seriously saying that we are not held accountable for any wrongs we do as long as we have faith in Christ? Are you saying that we can completely ignore His commandments, sin without impunity, treat our fellow human beings any way we want to and God will simply turn a blind eye to our hypocrisy because we have said, "Jesus, save me!"?

Old 08-15-2013, 10:16 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,048,779 times
Quote:
Jesus does forgive all sins BUT, that doesn't mean they are forgiven of each of us individually UNTIL we have Christ and that forgivness only abides with us as long as we are abiding in His love.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Jesus does forgive all sins BUT, that doesn't mean they are forgiven of each of us individually UNTIL we have Christ and that forgivness only abides with us as long as we are abiding in His love.
I think we're in agreement, but just so that I'm sure, would you mind explaining what you believe is required for a person to continue to be "abiding in His love"?

John 15:10 states that we'll abide in His love if we keep His commandments. "If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love."

Old 08-15-2013, 10:39 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,048,779 times
Quote:
I think we're in agreement, but just so that I'm sure, would you mind explaining what you believe is required for a person to continue to be "abiding in His love"?

John 15:10 states that we'll abide in His love if we keep His commandments. "If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love."
That really is it. We can no longer practice sin. We must be desirous of His will and perform it. In summary it is do unto others as we would have done unto us.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:44 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,966,428 times
Quote:

The normal translation would be "commandments" but in the light of the meaning of "the New Commandment" as the overarching concept that guides our conduct, I think a better translation here would be "precepts," or guiding examples such as those given in "the sermon on the mount." As long as we are acting with a clear concern for the well being of all involved we are acting as the representatives of God's love, both to believers and those who don't.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
That really is it. We can no longer practice sin. We must be desirous of His will and perform it. In summary it is do unto others as we would have done unto us.
I agree 100%. I would just add that this doesn't mean that we must be perfect. As human beings, we're incapable of being perfect. We must, however, be truly committed to Christ and continue to repent when we fall short.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
The normal translation would be "commandments" but in the light of the meaning of "the New Commandment" as the overarching concept that guides our conduct, I think a better translation here would be "precepts," or guiding examples such as those given in "the sermon on the mount." As long as we are acting with a clear concern for the well being of all involved we are acting as the representatives of God's love, both to believers and those who don't.
I totally agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity