Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 11:43 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,540,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrhockney View Post
Why? Ultimately, because the early Catholic Church was influenced by gnostic, stoic, and ultimately ascetic ideas about the sex being animal like and not a charactic of the divine. Christian Ascetics beat out the libertines and whatever other groups there were and went on to influence the status quo from there. Mary not always being a virgin was incapatable with their idea of "holiness." That's the way I see it anyways
Not at all. The church abolished many gnostic teachings and threw them out.

The church also puts sexual relationships in the sacred and special category. If a marriage does not include sex the marriage can be annulled. That does not say sex is evil at all. A person can be very holy and have sex in marriage. Marriage being the important word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Yes. And Jesus is referred to as Mary's firstborn son in Luke 2:7. Not as her only son. Mary was kept a virgin only until Jesus was born - Matthew 1:25.

Technically they were His half brothers and sisters because while they all had the same mother, Joseph was not Jesus' blood father.
Joseph could have been a widower with children from his first marriage. He was older than Mary.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
So you are saying that the original sin was having sex?
I thought it was eating that apple.

How exactly could she still be a virgin after having given birth?
That is physically impossible your know?
Unless of course this was not a physical birth.
It was a miraculous birth. Just like how could Mary conceive without intercourse with a man? God can do anything in anyway He wants it to happen.

Old 12-21-2013, 06:36 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,728,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Hi Mike and Merry Christmas. Thanks for clarifying that Joseph was not Jesus' blood father. However, it's interesting that Jesus had to come through the line of David in order for God to fulfill His promise to the Jews. Mary came from the lineage of Nathan and Joseph came from the lineage of Solomon both sons of David.
RESPONSE:

No. If Joseph was not Jesus' "blood father," Jesus did not fulfill the messianic prophecy. The messiah had to be a son of BOTH David and Solomon. Not Nathan who never was a king of Israel.

2 Sam. 7:12-16
12i when your days have been completed and you rest with your ancestors, I will raise up your offspring after you, sprung from your loins, and I will establish his kingdom. 13He it is* who shall build a house for my name,[Solomon] and I will establish his royal throne forever. 14I will be a father to him, and he shall be a son to me. If he does wrong, I will reprove him with a human rod and with human punishments;j 15but I will not withdraw my favor from him as I withdrew it from Saul who was before you.k 16Your house and your kingdom are firm forever before me; your throne shall be firmly established forever.

Once again, Nathan was a son of david but never sat on the throne of Israel. Hence, according to the prophecy, the messiah could not have descended from him.

And, according to God's prophecy, IF Jesus was not of the biological lineage of BOTH David and Solomon, he wasn't the messiah

Last edited by ancient warrior; 12-21-2013 at 06:44 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-21-2013, 06:48 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,728,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
It was a miraculous birth. Just like how could Mary conceive without intercourse with a man? God can do anything in anyway He wants it to happen.
RESPONSE:

Mary might have conceived without a man ( by parthenogenesis ), but since a woman always lacks the Y chromosome for maleness, Mary could not have passed it on and Jesus would have been a woman!

Old 12-21-2013, 08:34 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,221,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
RESPONSE:

No. If Joseph was not Jesus' "blood father," Jesus did not fulfill the messianic prophecy. The messiah had to be a son of BOTH David and Solomon. Not Nathan who never was a king of Israel.

2 Sam. 7:12-16
12i when your days have been completed and you rest with your ancestors, I will raise up your offspring after you, sprung from your loins, and I will establish his kingdom. 13He it is* who shall build a house for my name,[Solomon] and I will establish his royal throne forever. 14I will be a father to him, and he shall be a son to me. If he does wrong, I will reprove him with a human rod and with human punishments;j 15but I will not withdraw my favor from him as I withdrew it from Saul who was before you.k 16Your house and your kingdom are firm forever before me; your throne shall be firmly established forever.

Once again, Nathan was a son of david but never sat on the throne of Israel. Hence, according to the prophecy, the messiah could not have descended from him.

And, according to God's prophecy, IF Jesus was not of the biological lineage of BOTH David and Solomon, he wasn't the messiah
I just preached a sermon on this a couple weeks ago. Yes--Jesus fulfilled the requirement of being a legal heir to the throne. He was of the line of David, legally.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Joseph could have been a widower with children from his first marriage. He was older than Mary.
There is nothing in the text to suggest how old Joseph was, or that he had any other children. If you are going to believe that, you are reading into the text what isn't there. If we are going to use that line of logic, Joseph COULD have been a visitor from the planet Neptune, and had 6 heads. Technically, the text doesn't say he wasn't.....But I'd rather take my theology from what is actually written.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:49 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,346,057 times
Because Catholics always project their desired virtues onto their idols so that they don't have maintain these virtues themselves

Old 12-21-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Because Catholics always project their desired virtues onto their idols so that they don't have maintain these virtues themselves
At least be fair. Seriously. I doubt that most of the rank-and-file Catholics have really even thought about the topic.

Old 12-21-2013, 10:10 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,360,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post

I love ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity