Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2013, 12:34 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,367,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Very eloquently stated.

But, ultimately you are using the Bible to state your case. And the case is every strongly in favor of Mary Losing her virginity. But, within the context of religion she can be called a Virgin. It is just a different perspective of Catholicism which does not solely rely on the Bible.
By the way, Lutherans, older mainstream Protestants, and Martin Luther thought the Virgin remained a Virgin.

The virginity of Mary is very much an issue of theology and was always a controversy since the 2nd century. The non-virginity of Mary gained momentum among the Bible literalists of recent times and I can see why they make that point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 12:38 PM

33,343 posts, read 26,564,538 times
Quote:
Very eloquently stated.

But, ultimately you are using the Bible to state your case. And the case is every strongly in favor of Mary Losing her virginity. But, within the context of religion she can be called a Virgin. It is just a different perspective of Catholicism which does not solely rely on the Bible.
You have just acknowledged that based on the Bible the case is very strong that Mary did not remain a virgin. And yet, if you choose to disregard the statement of the apostle Matthew who walked with Jesus and who knew Mary, for the sake of the tradition you have been taught, and if you value the word of the Pope over the word of an apostle who walked with Jesus and who personally knew Mary, then you will continue to disregard what is recorded in the Word of God as an historical fact for the sake of that tradition.

Last edited by Michael Way; 12-27-2013 at 12:50 PM..

Old 12-27-2013, 12:54 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,504,071 times
Mary was a virgin when Jesus Christ was born, then after that she
was no longer a virgin when she had sex with her husband Joseph
and they had at least 6 children between and possibly even more.

Mary was not the mother of God, she is the mother of Jesus Christ
who is the only begotten Son of God ! ! !

God was never born ... he has always been.

Old 12-27-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
You have just acknowledged that based on the Bible the case is very strong that Mary did not remain a virgin. And yet, if you choose to disregard the statement of the apostle Matthew who walked with Jesus and who knew Mary, for the sake of the tradition you have been taught, and if you value the word of the Pope over the word of an apostle who walked with Jesus and who personally knew Mary, then you will continue to disregard what is recorded in the Word of God as an historical fact for the sake of that tradition.
It does not work like that----------I see religion as man made. And the Bible is as man made as the Sacred Traditions. I believe God cannot be known with certainty and all we have is this man made stuff. It is fun to discuss these issues, but I personally don't have the answers.

I gladly advocate my Catholicism. But will not go as far as to tell you "my religion is better than yours".

From the point of view of the historical Jesus I would assume he had brothers. I don't disregard that! However, when it comes to theology I am more than happy top agree with the perpetual Virginity of Mary since there is no harm or no foul. And lastly, it puts Jesus in contact with a pristine women as his mother (before and after the delivery).

Old 12-27-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
Mary was a virgin when Jesus Christ was born, then after that she
was no longer a virgin when she had sex with her husband Joseph
and they had at least 6 children between and possibly even more.

Mary was not the mother of God, she is the mother of Jesus Christ
who is the only begotten Son of God ! ! !

God was never born ... he has always been.

If you believe in the trinity then Mary is the Mother of God.

But, do not forget, this is religion.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:00 PM

33,343 posts, read 26,564,538 times
Quote:
It does not work like that----------I see religion as man made. And the Bible is as man made as the Sacred Traditions. I believe God cannot be known with certainty and all we have is this man made stuff. It is fun to discuss these issues, but I personally don't have the answers.

I gladly advocate my Catholicism. But will not go as far as to tell you "my religion is better than yours".

From the point of view of the historical Jesus I would assume he had brothers. I don't disregard that! However, when it comes to theology I am more than happy top agree with the perpetual Virginity of Mary since there is no harm or no foul. And lastly, it puts Jesus in contact with a pristine women as his mother (before and after the delivery).
Yes, it does work like that. Theology - the study of God, must be based on truth. How you see it is irrelevant. It is reality that is revelant. And the reality is that the Bible is not man's subjective opinion about God, but is God's objective revelation to man.

Christianity is not a religion, but is a relationship with God though Jesus Christ.

You again acknowledge that as a matter of historical fact Jesus had brothers, that Mary did not remain a virgin, but nevertheless, despite that, for the sake of tradition you are content to agree anyway with the Roman Catholic notion of Mary's perpetual virginity.

For you then, tradition takes priority over historical facts. That is your choice.

As for myself, I believe the inerrant Word of God. And as for tradition,
Col. 2:8 See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
If do believe in the trinity the way the bible teaches.

But I do not believe the Holy Word Of God teaches that Mary is the Mother of God ! ! !

Quote:
Chrisianity is a Holy Religion Given by God Our Holy Father and creator of all things ! ! !

Old 12-27-2013, 02:13 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,230,802 times
Quote:
Hey Vizio:

IN religion anything goes. That is why is called religion!
Maybe I'm just not all that bright...but I have no idea what you said there.
Quote:

And different religions do not have to be in agreement.

I understand why Protestants are indifferent about Mary or about her virginity. Different religion, different perspective.
Do you not consider Catholicism to be Christianity? Or is it a different religion?

As for Mary and her perpetual virginity? We all believe she was a virgin at the time she gave birth. That part is stated in scripture. There is no basis, though, for her perpetual virginity, or her being conceived immaculately. That was all completely made up by someone. It's not found in scripture.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:13 PM

668 posts, read 691,890 times
Quote:

God has always existed and has no mother. Mary was only the birth mother of the human body that God inhabited while on this earth. Mary did not give birth to God.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:55 PM

The Roman Catholic Church teaches a man made religion, and not found in to be the teaching
of the Holy Word Of God. This man and this church claims to have the only way
to be saved, and go to heaven.

The head of that church is a normal man they call a pope, papa,
who claims to have all power, and authority of heaven, earth, and hell
and man's salvation.

He is also a man appointed by men, and not by God Our Holy Father ! ! !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity