Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it wrong to call out many Catholicisim Doctrinal errors?
YES 15 26.79%
NO 41 73.21%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 07:56 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,155,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
<p>&lt;p&gt;

The bible does indeed teach us to hold fast to tradition whether by word of mouth or by letter. 2 Thessalonians 2:15.

The bible's very construction is based on over 300 years of traditions that came before it.

The gates of hell will not prevail against His Church. That's in the Bible, too.

Did you skip parts?
Traditions the apostles taught from the actual scriptures itself. All they had was the OT back then, so their traditions were actually biblically backed. Catholicism makes up its own traditions and says its biblical.

All traditions went down the tube in the 300 AD's once Rome got a hold of the bible and then went against every Jewish roots the bible had and introduced Catholicism and then started substituting Sunday for Sabbath, Getting rid of the biblical feast days and putting Xmas and Easter in their place and pretty much being Anti Jewish everything, so by then the bible lost all of its hebrew roots and Christianity merged with pagan customs and we have those traditions to follow now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 08:08 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,363,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Traditions the apostles taught from the actual scriptures itself. All they had was the OT back then, so their traditions were actually biblically backed. Catholicism makes up its own traditions and says its biblical.
They preached the NT before it was written!

Quote:
All traditions went down the tube in the 300 AD's once Rome got a hold of the bible and then went against every Jewish roots the bible
I ask again: Are you a Jew for Jesus? Why so concerned with Jewish Holy Days and traditions?

Do you celebrate Yom Kippur? This is in the bible.

General observances[edit]
Leviticus 16:29 mandates establishment of this holy day on the 10th day of the 7th month as the day of atonement for sins. It calls it the Sabbath of Sabbaths and a day upon which one must afflict one's soul.
Leviticus 23:27 decrees that Yom Kippur is a strict day of rest.

Quote:
had and introduced Catholicism and then started substituting Sunday for Sabbath, Getting rid of the biblical feast days and putting Xmas and Easter in their place and pretty much being Anti Jewish
Do you celebrate the Jewish New Year too?

You are more than welcome to not celebrate the birth of Jesus or to avoid Easter.

I ask again: Are you a Jew for Jesus?

Frankly I am puzzled for the yearning of Jewish sacred days and the disdain for Easter and Christmas.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
They preached the NT before it was written!

I ask again: Are you a Jew for Jesus? Why so concerned with Jewish Holy Days and traditions?

Do you celebrate Yom Kippur? This is in the bible.

General observances[edit]
Leviticus 16:29 mandates establishment of this holy day on the 10th day of the 7th month as the day of atonement for sins. It calls it the Sabbath of Sabbaths and a day upon which one must afflict one's soul.
Leviticus 23:27 decrees that Yom Kippur is a strict day of rest.

Do you celebrate the Jewish New Year too?

You are more than welcome to not celebrate the birth of Jesus or to avoid Easter.

I ask again: Are you a Jew for Jesus?

Frankly I am puzzled for the yearning of Jewish sacred days and the disdain for Easter and Christmas.

I am not a Jew, I have just come to realize in the past couple of years, some of what I have been taught in Christianity is the false teachings and traditions the Catholic Church passed down and everyone else just followed along.

No , I dont really celebrate any of the biblical feast days because 99% of all Christian churches dont celebrate it and most Jewish congregations are not really seem welcoming to black people. So, I study them and get the true meaning of them and dont just lump everything up as that was for the Jews and Im a Christian, so none of that applies to me. I would gladly celebrate Passover and Tabernacles if my church did it. As for the Jewish new year, even the Jews cant agree on their calendar as there is a debate about whether they should go by the full moon or sliver of a moon, so I just stick the the calendar I was born under Jan 1st. Yes I do know the biblical new year is in the spring right before Passover, so I respect their new year.

As for everything being Jew vs Christian, it is absolutely ridiculous to say outside of the cermonial and sacrifical laws, that God said Jews can only do X,Y,Z and Christians and do as they please. When God gave the commandments at Mt Sinai, ALL 12 tribes were present and Jews are just one of the 12 tribes from the tribe of Judah, so to say commands in the bible were to the Jews only is wrong because God told all 12 tribes, not to murder, what to eat and not to eat, dont steal, his holy days etc. But to say a Christian is under a new set of laws when Jesus himself didnt come to abolish anything is as ridiculous as saying only Jews are to refrain from Sexual Immorality and Christians dont have to.

Jewish Holy Days and traditions are biblical traditions as God said those are his days, NOT the Jews days.
Leviticus 23

Feasts of the Lord

23 And the Lord spoke to Moses, saying, 2 “Speak to the children of Israel, and say to them: ‘The feasts of the Lord, which you shall proclaim to be holy convocations, these are My feasts.

Paul kept Pentecost and Feast of Tabernacles(the Actual Time Christ was born). Here is proff of him keeping Tabernacles years after Christ .

Acts 18:20-21

New King James Version (NKJV)

20 When they asked him to stay a longer time with them, he did not consent, 21 but took leave of them, saying, “I must by all means keep this coming feast in Jerusalem;[a] but I will return again to you, God willing.” And he sailed from Ephesus.

Jewish traditions are in the Talmud and that is oral traditions, much of what Jesus spoke against as well, so I would not back any Jewish tradition unless it is in the bible

Im not against Christmas and Easter as I observe them in a sense of, I will go to church on those days and attend a Christmas or Easter play, but I dont celebrate it as I will not decorate my house with Santa Claus, elves, reindeer, shop til I drop for gits I cant afford, Easter Egg Hunts, and anything to do with the Easter bunny as they have nothing to do with Christ. So take away the pagan ascpect of those holiday. God knows people hearts so im sure he knows others that keep those things as well dont mean harm, but it is just my personal conviction on those matters. But I will not arrogantly states Easter is for Christians and Passover is for Jews.

My whole point is Catholic and many Christians need to realize much of the bible and its teaching are for them too and stop saying everything is for the Jews only and thinking the new man made holidays and traditions are biblically backed. For all those that say X,Y,Z was a Jewish thing that you are talking about but, say you want to be Christ like and follow him...Jesus was a Hebrew from the Tribe of Judah, so he is Jewish too. So if you wan to put down biblical traditions, you are putting down your savior too.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:21 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,450,659 times
Quote:
I am not a Jew, I have just come to realize in the past couple of years, some of what I have been taught in Christianity is the false teachings and traditions the Catholic Church passed down and everyone else just followed along.

No , I dont really celebrate any of the biblical feast days because 99% of all Christian churches dont celebrate it

The Bible doesn't say to celebrate the feast days in church.

and most Jewish congregations are not really seem welcoming to black people.

How many have you been to? In how many parts of the country? Don't you think that's an awfully damming statement to make about a group of people you clearly don't know? (hint, hint)

So, I study them and get the true meaning of them and dont just lump everything up as that was for the Jews and Im a Christian, so none of that applies to me. I would gladly celebrate Passover and Tabernacles if my church did it.
Again, those are not to be celebrated in church. Passover is a "home" holiday.

As for everything being Jew vs Christian, it is absolutely ridiculous to say outside of the cermonial and sacrifical laws, that God said Jews can only do X,Y,Z and Christians and do as they please. When God gave the commandments at Mt Sinai, ALL 12 tribes were present and Jews are just one of the 12 tribes from the tribe of Judah, so to say commands in the bible were to the Jews only is wrong because God told all 12 tribes, not to murder, what to eat and not to eat, dont steal, his holy days etc. But to say a Christian is under a new set of laws when Jesus himself didnt come to abolish anything is as ridiculous as saying only Jews are to refrain from Sexual Immorality and Christians dont have to.

Then that means that you and all other Christians should be observing the dietary laws, festivals and holidays, rules on dress, prayer, and all the Sabbath rules - which means no cooking or driving on the Sabbath. Do you walk to church or ride a bike?

My whole point is Catholic and many Christians need to realize much of the bible and its teaching are for them too and stop saying everything is for the Jews only and thinking the new man made holidays and traditions are biblically backed. For all those that say X,Y,Z was a Jewish thing that you are talking about but, say you want to be Christ like and follow him...Jesus was a Hebrew from the Tribe of Judah, so he is Jewish too. So if you wan to put down biblical traditions, you are putting down your savior too.
So, again, you completely keep all the things I mentioned above, as they are in the Bible and commanded by the LORD?

Because if you don't, you must surely realize that you have no right to tell other Christians (or Catholics) how to practice their religion when you don't even follow your own teachings.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Im not against Christmas and Easter as I observe them in a sense of, I will go to church on those days and attend a Christmas or Easter play, but I dont celebrate it as I will not decorate my house with Santa Claus, elves, reindeer, shop til I drop for gits I cant afford, Easter Egg Hunts, and anything to do with the Easter bunny as they have nothing to do with Christ. So take away the pagan ascpect of those holiday. God knows people hearts so im sure he knows others that keep those things as well dont mean harm, but it is just my personal conviction on those matters. But I will not arrogantly states Easter is for Christians and Passover is for Jews.

See the part in bold. You need to lighten up a bit and understand that God is not anal or capricious.

It is unavoidable for Christian traditions to be blended with other traditions. That is how the world operates. Catholic Churches decorate with Christmas trees. WHO CARES!!!!!!!! Don't worry about that. You think God would be jealous of competition by Santa?

BTW, the CC celebrates the Epiphany which is probably much more Christmas like than anything else.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:

All traditions went down the tube in the 300 AD's once Rome got a hold of the bible and then went against every Jewish roots the bible
I have to tell you that the very first thing Constantine did in 331 was to create 50 Bibles:

Quote:
The Fifty Bibles of Constantine were Bibles in Greek language commissioned in 331 by Constantine I and prepared by Eusebius of Caesarea. They were made for the use of the Bishop of Constantinople in the growing number of orthodox churches in that very new city.

It is speculated that this commission may have provided motivation for the development of the canon lists and that Codex Sinaiticus and Codex Vaticanus are possible surviving examples of these Bibles.[2] There is no evidence among the records of the First Council of Nicaea of any determination on the canon.

Do you realize how huge that is at a time when the printing press had not been invented? This helped the propagation of Christianity!!

And the Codex Vaticanus: Do you realize all bibles all to that point were scrolls that were incredibly difficult to read. Have you ever try to read a book in a scroll. The Codex or book form was a huge advancement for the study of the Bible.

Please, keep posting: You have a lot to learn.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
So, again, you completely keep all the things I mentioned above, as they are in the Bible and commanded by the LORD?

Because if you don't, you must surely realize that you have no right to tell other Christians (or Catholics) how to practice their religion when you don't even follow your own teachings.

Im should not even going to go into detail trying to explain what I wrote, as it should explain itself . You have the usual, if anyone questions anything about what Catholicism does that the 1st thing is to ask if you observe X,Y,Z to try to cover up the issue or question asked. I clearly stated all the sacrificial and ceremonial laws were abolished, but as usual it veered off to what are you doing.

- I didnt say it did either, I simply stated I would have no other members to celebrate it with since just about all churches don't recognize that day at all.

How many have you been to? In how many parts of the country? Don't you think that's an awfully damming statement to make about a group of people you clearly don't know? (hint, hint)
-Here in the south many of my friends have visited them and never feel welcomed in most of them, thats why I said MOST not ALL. I personally am not interested in the whole Hebrew Roots type moment.

Again, those are not to be celebrated in church. Passover is a "home" holiday.
-Passover is at home, but if your place of worship doesn't celebrate it, 99% of the time, you will have no one esle to celebrate it with as well.Then that means that you and all other Christians should be observing the dietary laws, festivals and holidays, rules on dress, prayer, and all the Sabbath rules - which means no cooking or driving on the Sabbath. Do you walk to church or ride a bike?
-Typical stupid response that tries to make excuses for what your not doing what the bible commands. No cooking command was to the Hebrews in regards to the manna. There is no commands by Jesus to not cook on the Sabbath. Cars didnt exist back then, so there is no such thing as driving is not allowed and not to walk more than a Sabbath day journey is a oral command of the Jews not form God.Dietary laws still have validity to them as why God even Gave them in the 1st place.So pretty much, I mention 2 things the RCC replaced and substituted: holydays and the Sabbath and you get all in a bind. Go research the topic and you will see for yourself.All this to draw away from the blatant issue of Catholicism doctrine it refuses to acknowledge and will make excuses for all day long for it.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
See the part in bold. You need to lighten up a bit and understand that God is not anal or capricious.

It is unavoidable for Christian traditions to be blended with other traditions. That is how the world operates. Catholic Churches decorate with Christmas trees. WHO CARES!!!!!!!! Don't worry about that. You think God would be jealous of competition by Santa?

BTW, the CC celebrates the Epiphany which is probably much more Christmas like than anything else.
The bible says do not worship God the same way the pagans do as it is an abomination to him.
Deuteronomy 12:29-31

29 “When the Lord your God cuts off from before you the nations which you go to dispossess, and you displace them and dwell in their land, 30 take heed to yourself that you are not ensnared to follow them, after they are destroyed from before you, and that you do not inquire after their gods, saying, ‘How did these nations serve their gods? I also will do likewise.’ 31 You shall not worship the Lord your God in that way; for every abomination to the Lord which He hates they have done to their gods; for they burn even their sons and daughters in the fire to their gods.

Keep up Santa and all the other nonsense that has nothing to do with Christ.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
The bible says do not worship God the same way the pagans do as it is an abomination to him.
Deuteronomy 12:29-31

Do me a favor: Look up the definition of pagan. Go to dictionary.com or any other source. By definition Christians, Jews, and Muslims are not pagan. This verse does not apply to abrahamic religions.

The verse was written for pagans that lived thousands of years ago. You need to read that in the context of very primitive people that actually worshiped statues. The folks of that era wanted to be different than the pagans, I get that. No need to apply the same philosophy to the CC which is not a pagan religion.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:24 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,450,659 times
Quote:
Im should not even going to go into detail trying to explain what I wrote, as it should explain itself . You have the usual, if anyone questions anything about what Catholicism does that the 1st thing is to ask if you observe X,Y,Z to try to cover up the issue or question asked. I clearly stated all the sacrificial and ceremonial laws were abolished, but as usual it veered off to what are you doing.

Either you do what the Bible says or you don't. The sacrificial laws have to do with the Temple, which no longer exists. Everything else is still kosher.

- I didnt say it did either, I simply stated I would have no other members to celebrate it with since just about all churches don't recognize that day at all.

It is not required to observe with others, just to observe. You don't need a group.

[/b]-Here in the south many of my friends have visited them and never feel welcomed in most of them, thats why I said MOST not ALL. I personally am not interested in the whole Hebrew Roots type moment.

Did you just show up or did you approach the Rabbi(s)your curiosity and wanting to learn? I'm sure that would make a difference. And I can see that you completely missed what I said about damning a group of people without really know anything about them.

[/b]-Typical stupid response that tries to make excuses for what your not doing what the bible commands. No cooking command was to the Hebrews in regards to the manna. There is no commands by Jesus to not cook on the Sabbath. Cars didnt exist back then, so there is no such thing as driving is not allowed and not to walk more than a Sabbath day journey is a oral command of the Jews not form God.Dietary laws still have validity to them as why God even Gave them in the 1st place.So pretty much, I mention 2 things the RCC replaced and substituted: holydays and the Sabbath and you get all in a bind. Go research the topic and you will see for yourself.All this to draw away from the blatant issue of Catholicism doctrine it refuses to acknowledge and will make excuses for all day long for it.

Thanks for calling me stupid, when I clearly know a great deal more than you do about religious customs.

The underlined shows how little you actually know about Judaism, and therefore about the OT.

The Sabbath law is not to light any kind of fire (not just for when the Hebrews were in the desert). Observant Jews do not light any type of fire on the Sabbath - which means no cooking, no turning on the oven or stovetop. Yes, Jesus did NOT cook on the Sabbath. Jewish women have spent thousands of years figuring out how to deal with this and have become quite good at it.

Starting a car engine produces a spark, which is a form of fire, therefore driving is prohibited on the Sabbath. In observant Jewish communities people live within walking distance of the synagogue for this very reason.

You still have a lot of learning to do. I suggest you get some books on Judaism and Torah observance (written by Jews, not Christians) so you can understand what the laws really mean, their purpose, and their observance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity