Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2008, 09:53 PM

250 posts, read 503,707 times

Advertisements

Dojilynn & Urban:

Thanks for letting me vent a little. I know that we will simply disagree on this, but I would like the opportunity to discuss ithe Book of Mormon without all the acrimony that marred this thread in the past. Some of the issues could not be aired out properly in my opinion because of the rancor the swirled around the discussion. Will you indulge me a little longer?

Old 02-18-2008, 10:52 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,117,925 times
Sure, it has gone pretty well considering!!!

Old 02-19-2008, 09:00 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,502,852 times
Go right ahead.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:54 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,525,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
Go right ahead.
I have always wondered about this phrase and how it came to be. It's giving us conflicting directions. I'm torn between going right or ahead.

The English language is so strange. As far as I know, it is the only language that allows one to chop a tree down and then chop it up.

Of course, I, along with George Carlin, worry about what a chair would look like if one's knees bent in the opposite direction.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:18 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,502,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post
I have always wondered about this phrase and how it came to be. It's giving us conflicting directions. I'm torn between going right or ahead.

The English language is so strange. As far as I know, it is the only language that allows one to chop a tree down and then chop it up.

Of course, I, along with George Carlin, worry about what a chair would look like if one's knees bent in the opposite direction.
ROFL...I had never really thought about it. Thanks for the laugh!

Old 02-19-2008, 04:23 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,117,925 times
So very true Sergeant!!! How about another one....I'll be right back. I usually respond that I'll be left front and then we just look at each other for a few seconds. But then, how do we: stand up, stand out and then stand down? Ok, I'm done for now.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:41 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,458,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
I think I understand what you are saying. Thank you for explaining it better.
de nada. i am enjoying this thread.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:25 PM

OK, enough of this tomfoolery! Back to the AOF.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:41 PM

One of the questions that Mormons are commonly asked regarding the Book of Mormon is........for me at least, is why do we need the Book of Mormon?

Any one can feel free to offer an answer, if they wish.

I would begin by letting the Book of Mormon answer for itself. The title page was not written by Joseph Smith but was translated by him from the original plates. I believe it was composed by the last prophet to write in the gold plates, a prophet named Moroni. I have copied the title page in its entirety.

THE
BOOK OF MORMON
AN ACCOUNT WRITTEN BY
THE HAND OF MORMON
UPON PLATES
TAKEN FROM THE PLATES OF NEPHI

Wherefore, it is an abridgment of the record of the people of Nephi, and also of the Lamanites—Written to the Lamanites, who are a remnant of the house of Israel; and also to Jew and Gentile—Written by way of commandment, and also by the spirit of prophecy and of revelation—Written and sealed up, and hid up unto the Lord, that they might not be destroyed—To come forth by the gift and power of God unto the interpretation thereof—Sealed by the hand of Moroni, and hid up unto the Lord, to come forth in due time by way of the Gentile—The interpretation thereof by the gift of God.
An abridgment taken from the Book of Ether also, which is a record of the people of Jared, who were scattered at the time the Lord confounded the language of the people, when they were building a tower to get to heaven—Which is to show unto the remnant of the House of Israel what great things the Lord hath done for their fathers; and that they may know the covenants of the Lord, that they are not cast off forever—And also to the convincing of the Jew and Gentile that Jesus is the Christ, the Eternal God, manifesting himself unto all nations—And now, if there are faults they are the mistakes of men; wherefore, condemn not the things of God, that ye may be found spotless at the judgment-seat of Christ.

TRANSLATED BY JOSEPH SMITH, Jun.
First English edition published in 1830

Old 02-19-2008, 05:55 PM

Which is to show unto the remnant of the House of Israel what great things the Lord hath done for their fathers; and that they may know the covenants of the Lord, that they are not cast off forever—And also to the convincing of the Jew and Gentile that Jesus is the Christ, the Eternal God, manifesting himself unto all nations—And now, if there are faults they are the mistakes of men; wherefore, condemn not the things of God, that ye may be found spotless at the judgment-seat of Christ.

From the title page we learn that the Book of Mormon manifests to our understanding the great things the Lord has done for our fathers--or rather for those who have gone before us.

The Book of Mormon also teaches us the covenants of the Lord, thus reinforcing the Bible.

The Book of Mormon is written to convince the Jew and Gentile that Jesus is the Christ, manifesting himself not just to the Jews in palestine but to all nations.

Then Moroni gives an interesting disclaimer. He tacitly acknowledges that there may be mistakes of men in the book but not in the doctrines of God recorded in the book.

There is another reason the Book was written which Moroni alludes to--which is to let the remnant of the house of Israel know that they are not cast off forever but will again learn about their Savior and be gathered in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.