Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 02:47 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,247,624 times

Advertisements

This thread is another reminder to me of why I would never again join a church - because the churches are full of busy-bodies who are always more concerned with what others are doing rather than keeping up with their own selves. I was shunned for having kids Disney Films in my home when one of my Pastors visited many years ago. Who needs that kind of non-sense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 02:49 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,539,368 times
Vizio, have any of you ever thought the old couple were living together because they are lonely or may need both incomes just to survive.you know, food, medicine, lutilities, mortgage? Did you actually ask them if they were having sex because it "appears" they are.

Are you asking all the veterans if they killed anyone in combat?? It "appears" they may have..being war and all.

Are you asking all the young people if they are having sex because they might "appear" to be?

Old 08-08-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
A lengthy questionnaire?

"Please check all boxes that apply: Anal sex, homosexual sex, tax cheat, gossiper, glutton, complainer, mixes fabrics, told someone to go to hell, took the Lord's name in vain, shacking up, went to a stag party with a stripper, pays for lap dances, believes in evolution, thinks the Earth is five million years old, doesn't believe in talking snakes.........."
There is a church sign in my area right now that says: "God knows your Google history". I wondered why they chose to use the word "your" instead of "my" or "our". But the point is, they want to remind you that God has his eagle eye on you. Who of those of us who believe in an Omniscient Holy Spirit doesn't know this already?

Old 08-08-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Vizio, have any of you ever thought the old couple were living together because they are lonely or may need both incomes just to survive.you know, food, medicine, lutilities, mortgage? Did you actually ask them if they were having sex because it "appears" they are.

Are you asking all the veterans if they killed anyone in combat?? It "appears" they may have..being war and all.

Are you asking all the young people if they are having sex because they might "appear" to be?
And will the churches ask everyone if they ever masturbate? And is there a scripture that forbids it? Sometimes you would think it was someone other than God who created sex.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:55 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,350,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
Once again, I never said such a thing. Perhaps you should re-read my post so you can fully understand what I said.

Our church is full of sinners, as is every church in the world. The difference is that Christians are not supposed to live in unrepentant sin, meaning they continue sinning even though they know it is wrong. It is perfectly normal for my wife to slip up and find herself caught up in gossip, however, she admits it is wrong, repents and seeks forgiveness from those that she may have hurt by her actions. This is the Holy Spirit at work in her.

This is completely different from someone who admits it is wrong but shows no repentance or desire to change from their sin.

One who is a new creature should be convicted by the Holy Spirit to repent from sin and grow stronger and closer to God daily, not reject God's Word and the authorities He commands us to submit to.
This sounds like perfect in your own eyes, because you have no sin to repent of and because of this a license to judge sin in others, a complete rehash of Jesus' teaching of the plank and speck of dust in your teaching.

Old 08-08-2014, 03:00 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,239,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Song View Post
This thread is another reminder to me of why I would never again join a church - because the churches are full of busy-bodies who are always more concerned with what others are doing rather than keeping up with their own selves. ...snip...
Amen.

Holier-than-thou folks turn my stomach.

Old 08-08-2014, 03:01 PM

12,064 posts, read 8,469,899 times
It wouldn't be in my value system to do it this way but the church belongs to the people who go there. Whether they are misguided or on the right track is none of my business unless they ask me.

It must have been devastating for the family. But, certainly they have chosen to attend that church and knew the belief system. They've had an eye-opening experience, I'm sure. So maybe some good has come from it.

It is my very strong belief that no outside group has the right to judge them on their morality or force them to adopt a behavior that is against their beliefs. When we defend alternative lifestyles and condemn those who don't aren't we being as judgmental and exclusive as we claim them to be? Ugly to me.

It really frightens me to think that it would be right to force them to have the funeral. That's a surefire way to further degrade our liberties. Sometimes I think I see a day coming when we are all going to have to think the same thoughts and act the same way or risk imprisonment. I've lived long enough to see that happen in other countries. Scary.

Old 08-08-2014, 03:04 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,256,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
This sounds like perfect in your own eyes, because you have no sin to repent of and because of this a license to judge sin in others, a complete rehash of Jesus' teaching of the plank and speck of dust in your teaching.
My church, as well as myself follow the teachings of Jesus.

Old 08-08-2014, 03:10 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,419,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
It wouldn't be in my value system to do it this way but the church belongs to the people who go there. Whether they are misguided or on the right track is none of my business unless they ask me.

It must have been devastating for the family. But, certainly they have chosen to attend that church and knew the belief system. They've had an eye-opening experience, I'm sure. So maybe some good has come from it.

It is my very strong belief that no outside group has the right to judge them on their morality or force them to adopt a behavior that is against their beliefs. When we defend alternative lifestyles and condemn those who don't aren't we being as judgmental and exclusive as we claim them to be? Ugly to me.

It really frightens me to think that it would be right to force them to have the funeral. That's a surefire way to further degrade our liberties. Sometimes I think I see a day coming when we are all going to have to think the same thoughts and act the same way or risk imprisonment. I've lived long enough to see that happen in other countries. Scary.
Maybe I missed it. Did someone in this thread propose that the church should be forced to do anything? It seemed to me that the o.p. was just expressing his disgust with the insensitivity of the action taken.

Old 08-08-2014, 03:10 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,266,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post

As a gay Christian, I agree. If the church doesn't like gay people, it has the right not to accept/marry/bury gay people.

I certainly would have nothing to do with this church (or probably most churches), but they have their rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity