Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2021, 10:32 PM

4,483 posts, read 1,320,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Anointed View Post
Back off Charlie, you have been warned.
I don't know what your problem is Anointed but let's take it the scripture.

I kinda enjoy having you around!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2021, 10:43 PM

3,061 posts, read 914,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie24 View Post
I don't know what your problem is Anointed but let's take it the scripture.

I kinda enjoy having you around!
Yea! Well someone has to keep you on the straight and narrow Charlie, fancy saying; "The "Rock" is called the smitten Rock. it exemplifies Christ as the "Rock that was smitten on the Cross. By Moses smiting the "Rock" twice he was saying Christ would have to suffer the Cross again."

Old 01-21-2021, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Yea! Well someone has to keep you on the straight and narrow Charlie, fancy saying; "The "Rock" is called the smitten Rock. it exemplifies Christ as the "Rock that was smitten on the Cross. By Moses smiting the "Rock" twice he was saying Christ would have to suffer the Cross again."
That's the thing about types I didn't mention in the OP, some get it and some don't.

Old 01-21-2021, 11:15 PM

6,796 posts, read 2,907,672 times
Quote:
If, as you say, you believe that I might scare off those of your founding group who may merely be 'seeking' at this stage, and that is the one thing that your founding group do not want, then for the sake of your group, I will decline your half-hearted invitation for now, and perhaps at a later date when you feel more confident and less nervous as to the direction that this wonderful idea might take, you could possibly change your mind as to my inclusion into the (Bible Only) study group.
Thanks, Anointed. With such a newly formed group we mustn't go into anything too controversial as it just may scare off those who might be 'newbies'. It's not just you, I also include myself with those others who may be highly opinionated about scripture. In fact, I may have to wear a gag for a while in the early stages of these group meet-ups.

Old 01-21-2021, 11:20 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,699,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Thanks, Anointed. With such a newly formed group we mustn't go into anything too controversial as it just may scare off those who might be 'newbies'. It's not just you, I also include myself with those others who may be highly opinionated about scripture. In fact, I may have to wear a gag for a while in the early stages of these group meet-ups.
Hehe, yep..... might be wise!

Old 01-21-2021, 11:24 PM

6,796 posts, read 2,907,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV
Howdy neighbors. *Sigh* ...I'm at a loss as to why the church leadership within mainstream Christianity still persists in preaching to its flock that Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed because of the 'grave sin' of homosexuality. Years ago I participated in a church Bible study on the subject of S&G. We were advised by the leader of the group study to clear our minds of any preconceived notions that we might have pertaining to their destruction, i.e. the popular teaching that they were destroyed because of rampant homosexuality. And, I'm sure glad that we did go into this study with an open mind. We found nothing to indicate that the inhabitants of Sodom and Gomorrah were homosexual ...NOTHING! But, this left us to wondering how others had somehow read and continued to read such a falsehood into the story of S&G. "Others" involves scholars of theology and includes many well-known personalities today such as Michael Brown and James White ...both of whom possess theological doctorates as well as their having several anti-gay presentations on YouTube in which, I believe, S&G are referenced.

Ezekiel gives us the actual reason/s why Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed (Ezekiel 16:49-50) and NOWHERE mentions homosexuality. Jesus (Matthew 10:14-15) equates the lack of hospitality to strangers with the sin of Sodom and Gomorrah. Again, no mention of homosexuality. And, as already mentioned, there is no mention of homosexuality anywhere in the ACTUAL account in Genesis.

So, where does this falsehood come from and why do preachers persist in preaching the glaring lie to their congregation that S&G were destroyed because of homosexuality? I'll quickly mention that the intended rape of the angels visiting Lot by the inhabitants of Sodom has nothing to do with God's plan to destroy the cities. This is not to mention, of course, that Gomorrah had nothing to do with this part of the story but was also destroyed.

Please, discuss.
Quote:
I have a bachelors degree in theology, but I am in no sense of the word a scholar.

But I can tell you that the scholars you refer to are wrong!

It is plain to see there were homosexuals on S&G.

In Gen. 19 it is plain to see that the men of S&G tried to have sex with 2 angels who came in the flesh to take Lot and his family out of the city before it was to be destroyed. Read vs. 5.
Oh dear, 1185 posts on this particular thread topic started in 2015 and we're back to square one. Dare I move it to the other thread so that I can respond to this recent post?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/chri...community.html

Old 01-21-2021, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Oh dear, 1185 posts on this particular thread topic started in 2015 and we're back to square one. Dare I move it to the other thread so that I can respond to this recent post?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/chri...community.html
Oh dear, the page is not found.

Old 01-22-2021, 05:17 AM

Quote:
That's the thing about types I didn't mention in the OP, some get it and some don't.
And many, such as yourself, create erroneous types=metaphors that have absolutely no bearing on the subject being discussed.

Old 01-22-2021, 10:14 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
For the same reason that Mary Magdalene is NOT a prostitute, yet it persists in popular culture because of the influential medieval folklore.

Can't believe that one sermon by Pope Gregory the Great, the same man who reformed the Roman chants to their present form, spread an error around the world for a millennium. I'm surprised that people even remembered what he said the next day, considering how humdrum and unmemorable typical Catholic-style sermons/homilies are.

Old 01-23-2021, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
For the same reason that Mary Magdalene is NOT a prostitute, yet it persists in popular culture because of the influential medieval folklore.

Can't believe that one sermon by Pope Gregory the Great, the same man who reformed the Roman chants to their present form, spread an error around the world for a millennium. I'm surprised that people even remembered what he said the next day, considering how humdrum and unmemorable typical Catholic-style sermons/homilies are.
There are two women by the name Mary that concern us, one is the sister of Simon the Pharisee with the dreaded terminal skin disease who lived in Bethany, the name Lazarus means "Without hope or terminal."

Simon and Lazarus who lived in Bethany in whose house Mary the sister anointed the head and feet of Jesus with expensive perfume worth 300 silver coins, see John 12: 1-6. and Mark 14: 3, Matthew 26: 6, and Luke 7: 36. Simon and Lazarus are one and the same person, and it was this Mary as revealed in Luke 8, from who Jesus drove out seven demons.

Although many biblical translations refer to this woman as being Mary Magdalene, the Good News Bible, has; (Mary who was called Magdalene) in brackets, which normally denotes that it was a later interpolation.

GNB Luke 8: 1-2; Some time later Jesus travelled through towns and villages, preaching the Good News about the Kingdom of God. The twelve disciples went with him, 2and so did some women who had been healed of evil spirits and diseases: Mary (who was called Magdalene), from whom seven demons had been driven out;

IMO: This was not Mary from the town of Magdala on the shore of Galilee from the area where Jesus lived and performed most of his mighty miracles, or should I say the miracles of the Lord, which were attributed to Jesus, but she was Mary the sister of Simon the leper also called Lazarus, who lived in Bethany, just a few miles from Jerusalem.

A Rabbi in the days of Jesus, was expected to be married, Mary Magdalene from the town of Magdala is believed by many, to have been the daughter-in-law of Mary the mother of Jesus.

See the Mary Magdalene Chapel in Duc In Altum at Magdala! Magdala is a first century town believed to be the hometown of Mary Magdalene. It is located on the shore of the Sea of Galilee.

https://www.romereports.com/en/2019/...iblical-women/

Last edited by The Anointed; 01-23-2021 at 01:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity