Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2018, 06:52 AM

20,456 posts, read 12,848,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
because you place your trust in a book rather than the Spirit.
They both have the same source-God, the Father. You put your trust in your feelings and call it God's spirit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 06:55 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,966,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You're suggesting you may be more in touch with the Spirit than Peter or John, who walked with Jesus?
No, I am suggesting that I am more in touch with the Spirit than words attributed to Peter or John, but which may contradict the nature of that Spirit. Your problem is that you don't question the validity of contradictory expressions. but try nto wrangle ways that excuse the contradiction.

Old 03-08-2018, 06:57 AM

Quote:
They both have the same source-God, the Father. You put your trust in your feelings and call it God's spirit.
As has been explained many times, I put my trust in a consistent character OF the Spirit promised and described by Christ as opposed to inconsistencies within a book.
There IS a difference between reason and feelings, you should check into it.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:12 AM

20,456 posts, read 12,848,808 times
Quote:
As has been explained many times, I put my trust in a consistent character OF the Spirit promised and described by Christ as opposed to inconsistencies within a book.
There IS a difference between reason and feelings, you should check into it.
I put my trust in the words of Jesus, period.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:20 AM

1,196 posts, read 757,852 times
Quote:
No, I am suggesting that I am more in touch with the Spirit than words attributed to Peter or John, but which may contradict the nature of that Spirit. Your problem is that you don't question the validity of contradictory expressions. but try nto wrangle ways that excuse the contradiction.
question could you post a few scriptures in which you believe makes the bible seem contradictory? i would like to see what's got you feeling this way. also could it be that you might not understand, therefore you see it as contradictions? i know before i was taught the truth, i at one time felt that way. thanks!

Old 03-08-2018, 07:39 AM

1,183 posts, read 540,848 times
Quote:
Even if it disagrees with the words people have claimed are those of Jesus and the apostles, but which are inconsistent with the character of the Spirit described by Jesus and confirmed by an encounter with that Spirit.
And the Bible warns us about false teachers

Charles Fillmore, Sun Myung Moon, David Keresh, L. Ron Hubbard all spoke just like you and Mystic

Last edited by SumTingy; 03-08-2018 at 07:52 AM..

Old 03-08-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
And the Bible warns us about false teachers

Charles Fillmore, Sun Myung Moon, David Keresh, L. Ron Hubbard all spoke just like you and Mystic
And John Calvin spoke just like you. What's the point? Compare for me the nature of the Spirit those people presented and their relation to that Spirit with what Mystic or I present.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo-50 View Post
question could you post a few scriptures in which you believe makes the bible seem contradictory? i would like to see what's got you feeling this way. also could it be that you might not understand, therefore you see it as contradictions? i know before i was taught the truth, i at one time felt that way. thanks!
Let's approach it this way: quote a scripture you once thought was contradictory to the message of Jesus and show how your new understanding reconciles it.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:46 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,447,921 times
Quote:
I put my trust in the words of Jesus, period.
No, you put your trust in a Book that you call Jesus.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:00 AM

88,860 posts, read 85,293,411 times
Quote:
It doesn't appear that way. You question the prophets and apostles words, do you not?
Of course. Everything should be questioned! That's when you ask the Spirit for guidance to help you understand.

My former priest explained it pretty succinctly. He said, "An hour after you walk out of here you aren't going to be able to recall word for word what I said, but hopefully, you will understand and recall the meaning of what I said."

So it was with the prophets and the apostles and other authors of the collection of writings we call The Bible. They later wrote down, or told to someone else who wrote it down, what they remember to the best of their ability. Further, the memory of two people witnessing the same event is going to be different, but the important thing was that they were able to convey what Jesus was saying. Others may have added their own twist or perspective--can you say PAUL? He certainly does say things that may have been applicable in a specific time and place, but that doesn't mean they apply to us now just because they appear as part of what some men decided to include in a collection of writings.

Further, those words were all written in languages not familiar to us today, and language cannot always be exactly translated from one to another, and things get mistranslated and lost, but it doesn't matter in the end as long as we are examining the meaning of what we read and asking for guidance as to what it is saying to us--unless we for some reason attribute inerrancy and divinity to the written works of human beings.

It doesn't mean there is no validity to what is written, but for the love of Christ, don't take everything in the Bible at face value and use it to say you have all the answers! God gave us our intelligence and the ability to reason. Don't you think it's an affront to God to just toss that aside in favor of mindless, thoughtless quoting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity