Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2018, 04:00 PM

605 posts, read 335,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
And God killed people and told other people to kill in God's name. If that's true, then God is giving Godself a bad name.
God gives life, and he takes it as he chooses. Kill is translated "to slay" or it can be translated as Murder in the KJV.

Either way, doing hospice showed me it's possible to pass from life to death without any pain (from what I interpreted). So only God knows how or why, he allows pain to occur. Or orders the destruction of the evil. Suffering isn't understood to me except the bible verse where it references perseverance. Something needed in order to win the race. On earth when the evil appear to have won, their penalty is beyond what most of us can imagine.

Luke 16:19-31
The Rich Man and Lazarus
19 “There was a rich man who was clothed in purple and fine linen and who feasted sumptuously every day. 20 And at his gate was laid a poor man named Lazarus, covered with sores, 21 who desired to be fed with hwhat fell from the rich man’s table. Moreover, even the dogs came and licked his sores. 22 The poor man died and was carried by the angels jto Abraham’s side.6 The rich man also died and was buried, 23 and in Hades, being in torment, he lifted up his eyes and l saw Abraham far off and Lazarus sat his side. 24 And he called out, m‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus to dip the end of his finger in water and cool my tongue, for I am in anguish in this flame.’ 25 But Abraham said, ‘Child, remember that you in your lifetime received your good things, and Lazarus in like manner bad things; but now he is comforted here, and you are in anguish. 26 And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, in order that those who would pass from here to you may not be able, and none may cross from there to us.’ 27 And he said, ‘Then I beg you, father, to send him to my father’s house— 28 for I have five brothers—so that he may warn them, lest they also come into this place of torment.’ 29 But Abraham said, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them hear them.’ 30 And he said, ‘No, father Abraham, but if someone goes to them from the dead, they will repent.’ 31 He said to him, ‘If they do not hear Moses and the Prophets, neither will they be convinced if someone should rise from the dead.’ ”

The Psalm 116:15 Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints.

Old 11-21-2018, 04:07 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,308,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeHunter View Post
God gives life, and he takes it as he chooses.

Wrong ....... The last Adam like his Father IS a Life giving Spirit, not a life taker. 1 Corinthians 15:45

Old 11-21-2018, 04:16 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,642,612 times
Yes, the Bible gives God a bad name. Anyone who reads it and thinks genocide, rape, and slavery are proof that God loves us gives him/herself a bad name. Those things are not love.

Old 11-21-2018, 04:23 PM

3,220 posts, read 926,548 times
The Lord is the God of the living not of the dead. He is The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

Old 11-21-2018, 04:23 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,399,541 times
Quote:
Nope, no signature needed. A simple explanation of the discrepancy was all that was necessary. Thanks.
Since you're here to learn truth, here's something that should help: you are not posting as a Christian would … you are posting as particular type of Christian (a fundamentalist) would. Glad I could help you in your endeavor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeHunter View Post
Still waiting.....
//www.city-data.com/forum/53699764-post115.html

Debate the topic, not the person

First, no one is debating you as a person. You said you were posting as a Christian would, which indicates that you do not understand that you are responding as only as a subset of Christians would and your opinions do not represent Christianity as a whole. Since you are an atheist, not a Christian, and I assume never have been one, and since you said you are here to learn, I was sure you would welcome the correction of your mistake. You're welcome.

Secondly, the response you were waiting for was posted some time ago:

Quote:
The Word is God (as the bible says). The bible is not (nor does it claim to be). It's great that some things in the bible talk about God/the Word, but it still doesn't make the bible God. Undoubtedly some things written within the bible have introduced some people to God/the Word. That still doesn't make the bible God nor the source of their life in God.
as well as here by camps:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Do you not knot that your bible says this..... Do you not know that Jesus Christ is in you and that if you do not know this you have failed the test? 2 Corinthians 13:5

What test is this? Of knowing the reality of the mystery of God hid through the ages, which is Christ in you. Col 1:27

Old 11-21-2018, 04:32 PM

63,834 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Wrong ....... The last Adam like his Father IS a Life giving Spirit, not a life taker. 1 Corinthians 15:45

Old 11-21-2018, 04:40 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,841,188 times
It's ironic that the majority of posts on this and many other threads in the "Christianity" forum are posted by non-Christians and/or professing Christians who do little, but, attack other Christians and the Bible.

Old 11-21-2018, 04:43 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,373,201 times
Quote:
You said in your posts that you are an atheist, which by definition means you do not believe in any god. You also stated in another thread that the God of the bible is the true God. I don't think asking you to explain the discrepancy is getting "personal".
It wasn't.

Old 11-21-2018, 04:48 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,373,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post
( so you got two right )
Actually, all of them are correct and came from the doctrines of men.

Old 11-21-2018, 04:51 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,399,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
It's ironic that the majority of posts on this and many other threads in the "Christianity" forum are posted by non-Christians and/or professing Christians who do little, but, attack other Christians and the Bible.
What, exactly, do you mean by "attack"? Strongly disagree with a fundamentalist view of the bible and the resulting ideas created by that view about the nature and character of God? Present a different perspective?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity