Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 11:37 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,598,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
How? Like Mother Theresa in India helping the poorest of the poor.
Anjezë Gonxhe Bojaxhiu was a horrible person. You should actually look into how she treated the sick and dying. A worse con artist than Trump. Please do not use her as a standard of virtue. Please.

Here, I'll get you started on your research.

https://wiki2.org/en/Criticism_of_Mother_Teresa+Newton
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 01:14 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,523,461 times
Jiawen Cheong, non-aethist
Answered Dec 6, 2012 · Author has 122 answers and 581.7k answer views

I believe we should judge a person's work by the fruit it bears

MT spent 70 years in the slums of Calcutta. She has given dignity to thousands of children, and in the city she's loved and respected by Christians and non-Christians alike.

Christopher Hitchens spent his life as an alcoholic and died from smoking-related cancer. Not content with simply ingesting toxins, he's life work is spewing vehemence and hate against people who are trying to make a difference.

Was MT perfect? No. She was human. Was Christopher Hitchens right about MT? Possibly, but if any of you can claim to have made a larger contribution to the world, I would like book lunch with you.

Old 04-05-2019, 01:15 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,523,461 times
Mike Orsini
Updated May 18, 2018

Mother Teresa's Missionaries of Charity, consisting of over 5000 nuns and growing, continue to help poor and suffering people around the world even today. Hitchens died of a self-inflicted throat cancer from smoking and drinking to excess at 62 years of age. Hitchens attacks an old nun for her medical treatment of the poor but he couldn't even take care of his own health...what a hypocrite! He was also wrong about supporting the war in Iraq which has lead to the terrorism we see around the world today. Why people think this guy was some kind of genius is beyond me. He was an articulate blowhard, more interested in advancing his own reputation than anything else. But modern society prizes form over substance which explains his popularity. He even admits in a Youtube panel discussion he was more interested in sensationalism than telling the truth about Mother Teresa. So in the end, history will show Mother Teresa wins and Hitchens loses. How can this be??? Because goodness always conquers evil, regardless of how flashy, witty and glamorous evil appears to be on the surface...even while it rots away at the core.

Old 04-05-2019, 04:52 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You ASKED, he answered.
No, he blamed Christian missionaries (by saying they had a part to play) for religious persecution/atrocities and when asked how, he deflected by talking about something else.

Question: How did Christian missionaries have a part to play in the murder of people in Africa?

Old 04-05-2019, 06:25 AM

1,146 posts, read 649,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Whole Christian villages wiped out, media silent - Metro Voice News

"Another week. Hundreds more dead and wounded Christians lay in villages in Nigeria while the world sleeps. Brothers and sisters in Christ were the target of yet more bloody attacks in the last seven days as Boko Haram terrorists captured the town of Michika in Nigeria’s far eastern state of Adamawa.

It was a scorched earth attack with little left standing and few people left alive.This time, however, the terrorists exchanging fire with government troops but the response was not enough to save families.

According to an op-ed in the Washington Examiner by journalist Douglas Burton, the attack continued for hours with an unknown number of casualties, although initial reports mentioned: “scores killed.” Burton is a member of the advisory board for Save the Persecuted Christians (STPC), which advocates on behalf of more than 300 million persecuted Christians around the globe."

So sad no reporting of this in our media.
"Everybody reads the newspapers. Most people are stupid enough to believe what's written in the newspapers." - Al Capone

The American media is owned by six major corporations (as of 2015):

General Electric
The Walt Disney Company
News Corp.
Time Warner
Viacom
CBS

These corporations are in the business of making money, NOT disseminating truth. News is gossip repackaged. Gossip is big business and owners of news media are only concerned with promoting stories that entertain the masses, not in stories that inform. If the two points agree, so much the better. Most of the time they do not.

Promotion of stories requires approval of sponsors and associated financial partners. If a news story denigrates a particular sponsor or corporation, then it is either not carried at all or relegated to the back pages of a newspaper that few read.

Its not so much about persecution of Christians as ignoring their plight.

Its just business, nothing personal.

Our problem is that in such a situation the first thing to suffer is the truth.

"The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names." - Chinese proverb

that's me, hollering from the choir loft.....

Last edited by Choir Loft; 04-05-2019 at 06:34 AM..

Old 04-05-2019, 07:38 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No, he blamed Christian missionaries (by saying they had a part to play) for religious persecution/atrocities and when asked how, he deflected by talking about something else.
I can read it for myself, you know, and can see that it was not a deflection. He said in response to the question of how:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Like telling the people who depend on them for food and medical supplies to not use condoms and thus encourage the spread of deadly diseases and the births of sick children who often die before their 1st birthday.

Like that.
Quote:
Question: How did Christian missionaries have a part to play in the murder of people in Africa?
From the Snopes article you posted:

"Religious affiliation is a secondary issue in the ongoing Nigerian herder-farmer conflict, which impartial experts consistently describe as being primarily a dispute over natural resources and land usage."

It's clear to me that he's saying that one is a consequence of the other, so that is a correct statement. They did play a part by encouraging birth rates that the available resources cannot support.

It's a war over resources with religion used as the excuse for division. As a matter of fact, while it's popular to blame wars on religion, especially to blame the "other" religion for creating the problems, conflicts rarely are actually over religion; rather, religion is used as the excuse for creating the us-vs.-them mentality needed to conduct war over land, wealth, resources, etc.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I can read it for myself, you know, and can see that it was not a deflection.
So, Christians played their part in mass murder committed by muslims by telling people to not use condoms (which they don't have access to anyway).

Now I've heard it all.

I know you feel compelled to jump into defending anti-Christian nonsense, but this one takes the price.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 04-05-2019 at 10:40 AM..

Old 04-05-2019, 11:20 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
So, Christians played their part in mass murder committed by muslims by telling people to not use condoms (which they don't have access to anyway).

Now I've heard it all.

I know you feel compelled to jump into defending anti-Christian nonsense, but this one takes the price.
I know you feel compelled to restate the meaning of people's posts to make it appear that their intent was something other than what it was, but this wasn't your best example of that tired old trick. Try harder next time.

Old 04-05-2019, 12:18 PM

This is like listening to someone blame Jews for the holocaust (played a part in it).

Old 04-05-2019, 01:07 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
This is like listening to someone blame Jews for the holocaust (played a part in it).
Poor, sad Finn. I'm sorry you're still so upset and angry about the same sex marriage thing. Perhaps you should join BF and pray for spiritual antacids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity