Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2019, 08:13 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
It's "required" but he doesn't "need" it... Okay, BF, that makes a lot of sense....
Yes. He doesn't need it, and he doesn't need us. But he's so good that he saves us anyway.
Quote:

I don't think you understand the term "loving", BF. Your "loving" God sends billions to hell for not believing in him, or not believing correctly. If this is love to you, then you have some serious issues, my friend.

As for "dying for us", that makes little to no sense as well... God sent his son to die for our sins, to "save us" from himself. Could he not have done the same thing without the theatrics?
No. He sends billions to hell for sin. The way to avoid it is to worship him. There is a difference.

Old 10-22-2019, 08:16 AM

6,797 posts, read 2,913,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Actually, he is all-loving. He loves us so much he died for us, and he gives us faith in order to trust and believe in him.
But, but ...had God not made the rule 'the wages of sin is death', then no torturous death of Jesus would have been necessary in the first place, would it? So, why all the drama surrounding 'the shedding of blood' by Jesus for a ruling that could simply have been revoked by God? According to most of you, all one has to do is to repent of their sins to be saved - with or without the sacrifice having been made by Jesus. Do you ever question these things, BF, or do you just blindly go along with what you're told?

Old 10-22-2019, 08:20 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
So what? That doesn't answer the question. Why would he NEED to be worshiped? Why the egotistical and petty demand? It's just funny to me, because this kind of thing is so human. The NEED to feel important, to be loved. In reality, an all loving God, as you guys claim he is, would not NEED these things. In fact, if he was all loving, he should be more worried about us, and not himself. The way you guys describe it, he is nothing more than a petty, selfish, and insecure god.
Yes, the OT god-thing is weak, needy and petty -- by necessity. The god-thing that weak, needy and petty fundies worship HAS to be small -- or they can't wrap their little fundie minds* around it.

*Thanks again for that super-illuminating thread you started, Finny.

Old 10-22-2019, 08:23 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,399,541 times
Quote:
I just wish he/she would get the details right and be willing to be corrected when wrong. You want your daughter to go far in life? Teach her to be honest, and teachable.
Please do not use my daughter to backhandedly insult and accuse Imiss of dishonesty and an unteachable spirit, especially since she has never displayed anything of the sort in this thread (or any other that I’m aware of).

Old 10-22-2019, 08:27 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,469,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Yes, the OT god-thing is weak, needy and petty -- by necessity. The god-thing that weak, needy and petty fundies worship HAS to be small -- or they can't wrap their little fundie minds* around it.

*Thanks again for that super-illuminating thread you started, Finny.
The people in the OT had gone so far astray, they NEEDED to be told exactly what to do like little children, because they were incapable of behaving appropriately on their own. And unfortunately we are in the same exact place today. Even with rules, people don't know how to act. Do you think we live in a moral and just society? I don't think there's anyone alive who can honestly say "yes" and if you can, I know whose side you're on.

Old 10-22-2019, 08:31 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,607,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Hey, Imiss, I want to say thank you. People like yourself have and do pave the way for the upcoming generation. Because of your willingness to speak up and live authentically even in the face of prejudice you are creating a world where my daughter’s peers are more likely to be accepting of her. And, more importantly, where she is more likely to be accepting of herself. She is such a beautiful soul and if I hadn’t been brought to my senses by God through people like yourself, I can only imagine the kind of hurt I would have certainly caused her, and the damage to our relationship that I would have done.
Thank you, Pleroo. I know I don't always use the best words, can be a bit blunt and rude, but I believe my heart is in the right place. I believe your daughter will be just fine, Pleroo. Seems like she has a parent with a good head on their shoulders, which is always a good start.

Old 10-22-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
I've said many times on this forum that Christ calls us to deny ourselves and follow him. Doesn't matter if you identify as gay, straight, or some new letter of the alphabet previously unused in the acronym. Maybe your sin is alcohol, maybe it's stealing, or any of a 1000 different sins. God calls us to put it behind us and follow him. Our desires are secondary to a relationship with our Creator.
Yet you only call for certain people to do so. Why is that? You can SAY that everyone has too, but your words betray you. You equate homosexuality to things like alcohol addiction or kleptomania, or other "sins", yet you clearly do not treat it the same, and don't believe your God does either.

Old 10-22-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Even though you don't really care for the views of people here, it seems you're open to learning. I think you should try to find believers who aren't tied to a religion. I don't think the path to God is through religion. All of them are corrupt at this point. I think these people are turning you off, which is understandable. But you're throwing the baby away with the bathwater.
Tree, I have been through this kind of stuff for many years. Like others, you mistake my speaking out as somehow being angry or hating religion. That isn't the case at all. My personal search is not something I have gone into much detail about, and I'm not going to do so here on this thread, but I am firmly agnostic, and in no way claim there is 100% no God, or anything like that. I am on my own journey of spirituality that does not revolve around worshiping a book, or a God that hates me/dislikes me/wants to punish me for being me. I am merely pointing out things that do not make sense in certain belief systems, such as Christian fundamentalism.

You are right about one thing though, and I have pointed this out numerous time to those like jeff, BF, Finn, and Choir Loft, and that is that people like them turn others off from their brand of religion, myself included. Although that brand of religion will never be "on" for me, as there are far too many discrepancies and things that require you to turn your brain off to believe.

Old 10-22-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Yes. He doesn't need it, and he doesn't need us. But he's so good that he saves us anyway.

No. He sends billions to hell for sin. The way to avoid it is to worship him. There is a difference.
Are you daft enough to think that "just worshiping him" is something that billions CAN do?

Not to mention you proved my point, by just now claiming that God REQUIRES worship, meaning he "needs" it to allow you into his kingdom. Mighty human of him.

Old 10-22-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Please do not use my daughter to backhandedly insult and accuse Imiss of dishonesty and an unteachable spirit, especially since she has never displayed anything of the sort in this thread (or any other that I’m aware of).
It's what they have to use, Pleroo. They have to believe that people like myself are nothing more than angry people who hate God, and have minds closed off. Otherwise, they would have to actually consider what I have said. As it is now, they just poo-poo it away because I am just an angry, closed minded God hater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity