Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 05:23 PM

20,454 posts, read 12,836,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
Because the holy scriptures, Jesus said, are "they which testify of me." (John 5:39-40).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2021, 05:29 PM

4,483 posts, read 1,335,243 times
Quote:
Afraid I disagree with you there. For I believe that the kjv is infallible as concerning doctrine; and that therefore it translated it correctly when it said "for the remission of sins".

Besides, even if you do change that part of the verse, it does not change the fact that the Holy Ghost is absolutely promised to those who receive baptism in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth for the remission of sins.
If you can get past them receiving the Holy Spirit before water baptism in Acts 10 then you can believe whatever you like. We'll just have to disagree.

Old 07-09-2021, 05:54 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,863,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie24 View Post
If you can get past them receiving the Holy Spirit before water baptism in Acts 10 then you can believe whatever you like. We'll just have to disagree.
Like I said, a person can receive the Holy Ghost by faith apart from water baptism (Ephesians 1:13-14). They are sealed because of faith.

Water baptism in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth for the remission of sins is an extra step that one can take in order to ensure that one has the Holy Ghost (in the case that anyone doubts that they have a relationship with the Holy Ghost); and thus that "unction from the holy one" spoken of in 1 John 2:20; by which we can "know all things".

Old 07-09-2021, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Like I said, a person can receive the Holy Ghost by faith apart from water baptism (Ephesians 1:13-14). They are sealed because of faith.

Water baptism in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth for the remission of sins is an extra step that one can take in order to ensure that one has the Holy Ghost (in the case that anyone doubts that they have a relationship with the Holy Ghost); and thus that "unction from the holy one" spoken of in 1 John 2:20; by which we can "know all things".
The Holy Spirit doesn't come by a second step, it comes at repentance of the heart.

As long as you see that water baptism is not necessary for salvation, you are doing well.

It seems that you see that so we have no problem.

Old 07-09-2021, 06:11 PM

Quote:
The Holy Spirit doesn't come by a second step, it comes at repentance of the heart.

As long as you see that water baptism is not necessary for salvation, you are doing well.

It seems that you see that so we have no problem.
I do see a case in scripture that baptism in Jesus' Name might be required for salvation.

Act 2:38, Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Act 2:39, For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

Rom 8:30, Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

It appears that the Holy Ghost is conditionally promised to "as many as the Lord our God shall call."

You may have to think for a few minutes as to how this applies to what I am saying.

Old 07-09-2021, 06:30 PM

Quote:
I do see a case in scripture that baptism in Jesus' Name might be required for salvation.

Act 2:38, Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Act 2:39, For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

Rom 8:30, Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

It appears that the Holy Ghost is conditionally promised to "as many as the Lord our God shall call."

You may have to think for a few minutes as to how this applies to what I am saying.
No, it doesn't take me but a second to know you are wrong!

We are justified by faith, God will not accept anything else.

We can't have faith in Christ and water baptism for salvation.

He will not accept anything less than 100% faith, plus nothing for salvation.

Now you can think He does at your own risk!

Old 07-09-2021, 06:38 PM

Quote:
No, it doesn't take me but a second to know you are wrong!

We are justified by faith, God will not accept anything else.

We can't have faith in Christ and water baptism for salvation.

He will not accept anything less than 100% faith, plus nothing for salvation.

Now you can think He does at your own risk!
See Colossians 2:12 and compare to Ezekiel 36:25-27.

There is an operation that takes place (a heart surgery) when we are buried with Him in baptism.

Old 07-09-2021, 06:45 PM

Quote:
See Colossians 2:12 and compare to Ezekiel 36:25-27.

There is an operation that takes place (a heart surgery) when we are buried with Him in baptism.
That baptism is a spiritual baptism, not water baptism.

You should know that justbyfaith!

Old 07-09-2021, 06:48 PM

Quote:

Those verses are speaking of water baptism and sprinkling.

Old 07-09-2021, 06:54 PM

Quote:

Col. 2:12 is not talking about water baptism!

It is the believer being baptized into the death of Christ at repentance.

It refers to the Crucifixion and Christ being our substitute.

It's the same reference as Rom. 6:3-4.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity