Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 04:31 PM

7,530 posts, read 3,032,424 times

Advertisements

The Dumb & Dumber gang has struck again.

"I think that the doctrine of hell is geared more towards motivating the Christian to evangelize than to scare the unbeliever into believing."

Neither works!

The unbeliever is not scared & a true believer in the Lord of Glory needs no motivation.

"A Christian should resemble a fruit tree with real fruit, not a Christmas tree with decorations tied on."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2021, 06:15 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,846,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose2Luv View Post

"I think that the doctrine of hell is geared more towards motivating the Christian to evangelize than to scare the unbeliever into believing."

Neither works!

The unbeliever is not scared & a true believer in the Lord of Glory needs no motivation.

"A Christian should resemble a fruit tree with real fruit, not a Christmas tree with decorations tied on."
The unbeliever may come to have a semblance of faith; at which point the fear of the Lord will be produced in him, if he has not yet received the forgiveness of sins.

And the doctrine of hell is indeed a motivation for evangelism; and this because we have love in our hearts for those who are headed there; which is the true motivation, of course.

But if people weren't headed for hell I would feel no need to evangelize them. I would consider that they are going to heaven anyway, and would let nature take its course.

But those who don't believe in hell, or who don't believe that hell is permanent, evangelize their doctrine for a different reason: because they want validation for their ear-tickling doctrine.

Have you never read what it says in 2 Timothy 4?

2Ti 4:1, I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;
2Ti 4:2, Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
2Ti 4:3, For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
2Ti 4:4, And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

Old 07-08-2021, 06:28 PM

25,461 posts, read 9,821,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
The unbeliever may come to have a semblance of faith; at which point the fear of the Lord will be produced in him, if he has not yet received the forgiveness of sins.

And the doctrine of hell is indeed a motivation for evangelism; and this because we have love in our hearts for those who are headed there; which is the true motivation, of course.

But if people weren't headed for hell I would feel no need to evangelize them. I would consider that they are going to heaven anyway, and would let nature take its course.

But those who don't believe in hell, or who don't believe that hell is permanent, evangelize their doctrine for a different reason: because they want validation for their ear-tickling doctrine.

Have you never read what it says in 2 Timothy 4?

2Ti 4:1, I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;
2Ti 4:2, Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
2Ti 4:3, For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
2Ti 4:4, And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
When I see posts like this I have to wonder how many people you feel you are reaching. I've never known anyone to come to God, as it were, with this type of preaching. In all my years as a Christian, evangelizing, I never knew anyone to be persuaded to accept my belief.

Old 07-08-2021, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
When I see posts like this I have to wonder how many people you feel you are reaching. I've never known anyone to come to God, as it were, with this type of preaching. In all my years as a Christian, evangelizing, I never knew anyone to be persuaded to accept my belief.
My answer to you is this:

Jhn 4:35, Say not ye, There are yet four months, and then cometh harvest? behold, I say unto you, Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest.
Jhn 4:36, And he that reapeth receiveth wages, and gathereth fruit unto life eternal: that both he that soweth and he that reapeth may rejoice together.
Jhn 4:37, And herein is that saying true, One soweth, and another reapeth.

Isa 55:10, For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater:
Isa 55:11, So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

Old 07-08-2021, 08:24 PM

3,220 posts, read 926,548 times
“He who seeks the glory of the One who sent him is truthful and there is no unrighteousness in him.â€

The truthful are sinless. Act in truth and you shall live.

Old 07-09-2021, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free4you View Post
“He who seeks the glory of the One who sent him is truthful and there is no unrighteousness in him.â€

The truthful are sinless. Act in truth and you shall live.
If I claim to seek the glory of the One who sent me, am I claiming to be without sin?

I would therefore be condemned by 1 John 1:8.

So, I leave it up to the reader to discern whose glory I am seeking.

However, I don't think that I am seeking my own glory; for my purpose here is to win souls to Jesus Christ.

Old 07-09-2021, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose2Luv View Post

Neither works!

It is the one who has no logical ground to stand on who will often resort to ad hominem attacks (insulting their opponents with insults in order to divert attention away from the subject matter) since that is their only recourse. They have no logical argument to set forth; so they insult their opponent to divert attention away from the subject matter at hand and to attempt to deter others from believing their opponent's point of view.

Old 07-09-2021, 05:53 AM

7,530 posts, read 3,032,424 times
Quote:
The doom boys of Click & Clack exist within their own wee world.

One is not persuaded to follow the Lord of Glory. One is drawn into that union by Him, with zero contribution on their part!

God is the Source, Guide & Goal.

Old 07-09-2021, 06:49 AM

4,483 posts, read 1,323,729 times
Quote:
Is it the word "hell" that offends you or the thought of judgement? You must be really offended by the preaching of Jesus!

Old 07-09-2021, 07:41 AM

25,461 posts, read 9,821,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
My answer to you is this:

Jhn 4:35, Say not ye, There are yet four months, and then cometh harvest? behold, I say unto you, Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest.
Jhn 4:36, And he that reapeth receiveth wages, and gathereth fruit unto life eternal: that both he that soweth and he that reapeth may rejoice together.
Jhn 4:37, And herein is that saying true, One soweth, and another reapeth.

Isa 55:10, For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater:
Isa 55:11, So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.
I used to think the same way. Never saw the evidence. But I know it keeps the narrative alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity