Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 02:35 AM

8,039 posts, read 1,847,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Jesus Christ's blood was shed! What exactly do you think can UNDO the forgiveness achieved by the shed blood of Christ on Calvary, JBF????
Unbelief (Romans 5:1-2, Ephesians 2:8-9)

Quote:
This is true. All those who have agape love are "born of God" (conceived by God) and cannot sin while in the states of mind of agape love.
How about you?

Are you SUCCEEDING at living according to this love; or merely TRYING?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2021, 02:57 AM

614 posts, read 173,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Any second now someone will be by to tell us that's how our barbaric ancestors thought, and he'll give his $.02 about how he thinks God wants us to just love. He won't actually base that on anything, except his own feelings.
Yeah, because why say that loving God and loving our fellow man are the greatest commandments? If you said that, then it would support universalism. You might fall for the lie that God loves everybody. Or that God's love is something that you can't ever be separated from.

I don't know why people don't look upon the situation between God and people as that between a father and his children. We agree, I think, that we are here as a result of the work of God. Some people take the origin stories literally. I don't think that man could possibly have heard what God had to say to him about that. I think we have a hybrid story in Genesis, that contains some factual and sequential truth, but doesn't address science, except symbolically.

Last edited by Am I a Prophet; 07-28-2021 at 02:58 AM.. Reason: the writing process

Old 07-28-2021, 03:47 AM

8,039 posts, read 1,847,256 times
That hell is the reality is evident in such scriptures as Matthew 13:41-42, 49-50, 25:46, Mark 9:42-48, Romans 11:9-10.

Old 07-28-2021, 06:47 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,008,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
I certainly do not think that anyone's sin is unforgiveable (unless it is the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit).

But I do believe that sins are not forgiven except through the shed blood of Christ on the Cross of Calvary.

Those who are born of God do not and cannot sin (1 John 3:9 (esp. the kjv)).

I do not believe the Bible contradicts itself, therefore I would say your understanding of the verse is in error.

If it is not, what hope do we have if God contradicts Himself? I have to believe that understanding/interpretation comes into play. Although I believe the New World Translation does not accurately translate that verse, I do believe they translate it the way it means: (1 John 3:9) . . .Everyone who has been born from God does not practice sin, for His seed remains in such one, and he cannot practice sin, for he has been born from God. . .

Perhaps you will agree with our understanding of it, but at any rate that is what we understand it to mean Faith.

Old 07-28-2021, 09:33 AM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Jesus Christ's blood was shed! What exactly do you think can UNDO the forgiveness achieved by the shed blood of Christ on Calvary, JBF???? This is true. All those who have agape love are "born of God" (conceived by God) and cannot sin while in the states of mind of agape love.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
Unbelief (Romans 5:1-2, Ephesians 2:8-9)
Neither of those verses say unbelief will UNDO the forgiveness and reconciliation Christ achieved. They reinforce that we can have faith that it cannot happen.
Quote:
How about you?
Are you SUCCEEDING at living according to this love; or merely TRYING?
Trying and imperfectly achieving it is sufficient thanks to Christ's perfection (Grace). Since we don't know how much 30 fold, 60 fold, or 100 fold is, I try as often as possible. My faith in Christ is made evident by my attempts and imperfect achievements. You are relying on your claims to believe the "precepts and doctrines of men" ABOUT Jesus and God which is NOT something you can either control or guarantee. I like my chances.

Old 07-28-2021, 10:54 AM

45,590 posts, read 27,215,643 times
Quote:
Jesus Christ's blood was shed! What exactly do you think can UNDO the forgiveness achieved by the shed blood of Christ on Calvary, JBF????
I didn't think you believed in the blood being shed for forgiveness of sins.

Old 07-28-2021, 11:26 AM

1,091 posts, read 279,369 times
Quote:
Neither of those verses say unbelief will UNDO the forgiveness and reconciliation Christ achieved.
I would agree with you here. I was also wondering why he appealed to those texts too. Here they are, using a literal translation:

Rom 5:1 Having been declared righteous, then, by faith, we have peace toward God through our Lord Jesus Christ,
Rom 5:2 through whom also we have the access by the faith into this grace in which we have stood, and we boast on the hope of the glory of God.

Having been (past tense) justified, and believing that we are justified, "faith" thereupon gives us peace toward God. What justifies us (at least here in this text) points back to Rom 4:25. The resurrection of Christ.

The access "into this grace" is by "the faith". Not "faith", but rather "the faith", with the Gk definite article. The gospel is often called "the faith", by Paul. It's Christ's death burial and resurrection that gives us access into which we have stood. It's the same thing expressed in 1Co 15:1.

I'm not sure why this text was appealed to, either:

Eph 2:8 for by grace ye are having been saved, through faith, and this not of you—of God the gift,
Eph 2:9 not of works, that no one may boast;

The faith spoken of is "not of you". And, it's doubtful whether the gift being spoken of is in relation to "faith" or even "grace", both being in the Gk. feminine gender, and "this" being in the Gk. neuter gender. Which leads me to believe that Paul is speaking of: the "faith of Christ". Christ's faith, or faithfulness, that saves us. That's the gift that saves (Rom 5:15-18). And man does not have the power to nullify, turn back, prevent, or undo (however you want to translate the Heb verb: שׁוּב) what God has done (Isa 43:13).

Old 07-28-2021, 11:37 AM

4,483 posts, read 1,324,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjGuru View Post
I would agree with you here. I was also wondering why he appealed to those texts too. Here they are, using a literal translation:

Rom 5:1 Having been declared righteous, then, by faith, we have peace toward God through our Lord Jesus Christ,
Rom 5:2 through whom also we have the access by the faith into this grace in which we have stood, and we boast on the hope of the glory of God.

Having been (past tense) justified, and believing that we are justified, "faith" thereupon gives us peace toward God. What justifies us (at least here in this text) points back to Rom 4:25. The resurrection of Christ.

The access "into this grace" is by "the faith". Not "faith", but rather "the faith", with the Gk definite article. The gospel is often called "the faith", by Paul. It's Christ's death burial and resurrection that gives us access into which we have stood. It's the same thing expressed in 1Co 15:1.

I'm not sure why this text was appealed to, either:

Eph 2:8 for by grace ye are having been saved, through faith, and this not of you—of God the gift,
Eph 2:9 not of works, that no one may boast;

The faith spoken of is "not of you". And, it's doubtful whether the gift being spoken of is in relation to "faith" or even "grace", both being in the Gk. feminine gender, and "this" being in the Gk. neuter gender. Which leads me to believe that Paul is speaking of: the "faith of Christ". Christ's faith, or faithfulness, that saves us. That's the gift that saves (Rom 5:15-18). And man does not have the power to nullify, turn back, prevent, or undo (however you want to translate the Heb verb: שׁוּב) what God has done (Isa 43:13).
When a person hears the Gospel they are given faith to believe, but they must make that choice to believe with that given faith. Man can refuse with his God-given free will.

That's what most of the world will do, refuse that faith to believe. There are many reasons why! The scripture gives many of them as illustration.

Old 07-28-2021, 12:05 PM

1,091 posts, read 279,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie24 View Post
When a person hears the Gospel they are given faith to believe, but they must make that choice to believe with that given faith. Man can refuse with his God-given free will.

That's what most of the world will do, refuse that faith to believe. There are many reasons why! The scripture gives many of them as illustration.
The flesh will always reject the Gospel. Faith, however, resides in the spirit of the soul, not the flesh. It resides within Christ's Kingdom, that is (Gk present tense, indicative mood) already within us (Luk 17:21), but the soul cannot see or enter into that Kingdom and it's faith (the faith of Christ) until born of God (Jam 1:18, Joh 1:13, 3:3,5).

When we are born of God, God opens the door of faith (Act 14:27), and our "quickened" soul (be it this world or the world to come) can no longer resist (Joh 5:21, 6:63), but comes to Christ in faith, and believes (Joh 6:37-39).

Old 07-28-2021, 01:15 PM

4,483 posts, read 1,324,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjGuru View Post
The flesh will always reject the Gospel. Faith, however, resides in the spirit of the soul, not the flesh. It resides within Christ's Kingdom, that is (Gk present tense, indicative mood) already within us (Luk 17:21), but the soul cannot see or enter into that Kingdom and it's faith (the faith of Christ) until born of God (Jam 1:18, Joh 1:13, 3:3,5).

When we are born of God, God opens the door of faith (Act 14:27), and our "quickened" soul (be it this world or the world to come) can no longer resist (Joh 5:21, 6:63), but comes to Christ in faith, and believes (Joh 6:37-39).
Man has free will to choose salvation and we see from scripture most will not choose it. This is where we can't meet, Guru.

Even during the Great Tribulation when God is judging man, they know who is doing it, but will not repent and want nothing to do with God.

Rev. 16:8-11

"And the fourth angel poured out his vial upon the sun; and power was given unto him to scorch men with fire.

And men were scorched with great heat, and blasphemed the name of God, which hath power over these plagues: and they repented not to give him glory.

And the fifth angel poured out his vial upon the seat of the beast; and his kingdom was full of darkness; and they gnawed their tongues for pain,

And blasphemed the God of heaven because of their pains and their sores, and repented not of their deeds."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity