Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2021, 12:04 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,094,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Where the hell did you get that definition????

From Britannica:
Mysticism is the sense of some form of contact with the divine or transcendent, often understood in Christian tradition as involving union with God. Mysticism played an important role in the history of Christian religion and emerged as a living influence in modern times.
Are you admitting that you're a mysticist?

Mysticism isn't Christianity.

It's strange you are allowed to go on about like you do here. I wonder If I claimed I was a "Muslim" and went to the Islam pages and said stuff that wasn't Islamic if the moderators would tolerate that? I suspect they wouldn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2021, 12:21 PM

63,842 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post

It's strange you are allowed to go on about like you do here. I wonder If I claimed I was a "Muslim" and went to the Islam pages and said stuff that wasn't Islamic if the moderators would tolerate that? I suspect they wouldn't.
Do you bother to read anything or do you just post your knee-jerk responses according to your misguided views. I am a Christian. Mysticism is and has been an integral part of Christianity. It is not the occult New Age crap that you fundies keep thinking it is. In my view, Jesus was actually a Jewish Mystic, as were John and Paul. Since God had to incarnate in a human, the choice of a mystic just makes sense.

Old 08-06-2021, 12:33 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,337,059 times
Quote:

You have to consider the fact that you may not know all there is to know about Christianity My group lied to me and tried to control the narrative by preemptively telling me anyone who didn't agree with their views was a watered-down Christain and worldly. That includes you and your dad. Is that true? Maybe you have some things in your head that are not true as well.

Mysticism is the transcendence that lots of believers are looking for.

Old 08-06-2021, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Do you bother to read anything or do you just post your knee-jerk responses according to your misguided views. I am a Christian. Mysticism is and has been an integral part of Christianity. It is not the occult New Age crap that you fundies keep thinking it is. In my view, Jesus was actually a Jewish Mystic, as were John and Paul. Since God had to incarnate in a human, the choice of a mystic just makes sense.
I know Kav from another website. He does not have ill intent. He's trying to heal.

Old 08-06-2021, 12:44 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,094,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
You have to consider the fact that you may not know all there is to know about Christianity My group lied to me and tried to control the narrative by preemptively telling me anyone who didn't agree with their views was a watered-down Christain and worldly. That includes you and your dad. Is that true? Maybe you have some things in your head that are not true as well.

Mysticism is the transcendence that lots of believers are looking for.
I've seen some of his other posts. He kind of reminds me of my hippy cousin who is always trying to get me to do shrooms or LSD or Diviner sage to have a "spiritual experience" or to get "closer to God".

I wasn't born yesterday.

Old 08-06-2021, 12:44 PM

63,842 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I know Kav from another website. He does not have ill intent. He's trying to heal.
Thank you, L8. Sorry, Kav. There are very close-minded people here and I tend to react to them too strongly. I have ZERO doubt about Jesus and God because of my experiences and my extensive efforts over decades to explain it all to my intellect. As a retired Professor, I can be quite authoritarian.

Old 08-06-2021, 12:48 PM

Quote:
I've seen some of his other posts. He kind of reminds me of my hippy cousin who is always trying to get me to do shrooms or LSD or Diviner sage to have a "spiritual experience" or to get "closer to God".

I wasn't born yesterday.
There is evidence that hallucinogens can reset certain conditions. I would never do it without a doctor there tho. Too much can go wrong.

Old 08-06-2021, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
That would be no one and no thing for I have already looked long and hard. Also, I disagree that the Bible can't be used to evaluate others regarding their beliefs.
Alrighty then....

do not lean upon your own understanding...

I don't believe that. I am more along the lines of the law inscribed in our hearts. Don't go against that. Although, now that I think about it...

...the heart is treacherous and not to be trusted. But then again it also says we will be judged by our hearts so I guess we might as well go for it.

Old 08-06-2021, 12:55 PM

This whole thread is kind of an indictment against faith. I'd love to see this posted in the AA forum and see what kind of reaction it gets. I'm thinking you won't be able to use this guy to bolster your claims BF.

Old 08-06-2021, 12:55 PM

3,831 posts, read 1,386,786 times
Quote:

there is 20 centuries of Christian Mystics that would disagree with you.
here's a short list, even from a secular site, of those more notable - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_mystics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity