Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2021, 12:58 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,333,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Thank you, L8. Sorry, Kav. There are very close-minded people here and I tend to react to them too strongly. I have ZERO doubt about Jesus and God because of my experiences and my extensive efforts over decades to explain it all to my intellect. As a retired Professor, I can be quite authoritarian.
Ya think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2021, 12:58 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I've seen some of his other posts. He kind of reminds me of my hippy cousin who is always trying to get me to do shrooms or LSD or Diviner sage to have a "spiritual experience" or to get "closer to God".
I wasn't born yesterday.
I do not and never have used any substances, Kav, except alcohol and I gave that up over 40 years ago.

Old 08-06-2021, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post

there is 20 centuries of Christian Mystics that would disagree with you.
here's a short list, even from a secular site, of those more notable - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_mystics
The smack thing? How about we don't do that and just pick on Mystic instead?

Old 08-06-2021, 01:03 PM

3,831 posts, read 1,386,018 times
Quote:
He is not. Christ is exactly who HE presented Himself to be unambiguously on the Cross. There is no other Christ.

Correct!
And He leaves His mark on those whose lives He touches with His Life!
Still many can not see, even if they had been given a magnifying glass,
which they have been given but also reject.

Old 08-06-2021, 01:07 PM

Quote:
I do not and never have used any substances, Kav, except alcohol and I gave that up over 40 years ago.
Wait a minute. Did you give it up for a specific reason? Lots of these things that happened to me were in recovery from alcohol abuse. One of those weird things was what precipitated my escape.

Old 08-06-2021, 01:13 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
This whole thread is kind of an indictment against faith. I'd love to see this posted in the AA forum and see what kind of reaction it gets. I'm thinking you won't be able to use this guy to bolster your claims BF.
What claim is that?

Old 08-06-2021, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
What claim is that?
If you are not trying to separate out the true Christians from the fake ones then I apologize.

Old 08-06-2021, 02:14 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Quote:
If you are not trying to separate out the true Christians from the fake ones then I apologize.
I'm just asking a question. It's a decent discussion. Should we believe anyone claiming to be Jesus? Are we correct to simply make up our own version of Jesus?

Old 08-06-2021, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I'm just asking a question. It's a decent discussion. Should we believe anyone claiming to be Jesus? Are we correct to simply make up our own version of Jesus?
I think we are supposed to make our own way to God. Even as a believer, I would have enough trust in God that He would make that happen. How could you leave something like that up to someone else and follow them no matter what they said? Especially those that are telling you that God is going to punish them? That's coercion from the accuser. Jesus frees people from that bondage.

Old 08-06-2021, 02:44 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Wait a minute. Did you give it up for a specific reason? Lots of these things that happened to me were in recovery from alcohol abuse. One of those weird things was what precipitated my escape.
No, L8. I am not an alcoholic. I was a very diligent and dedicated Buddhist meditator who really wanted to achieve Nirvana. I was very young and full of vinegar if you know what I mean, and very determined as only truly young zealots can be. I eventually stopped the use of alcohol because of my desire NOT to corrupt or interfere with my mental processes given their obvious importance to God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity