Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2021, 11:48 PM

11,898 posts, read 3,707,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Not according to 2nd temple period Judaism which clearly depicts the Nephilim as half angelic and half human offspring of the mating of angels and human women.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
So, if all but eight people were wiped out by the flood, how could the Nephilim still exist in the land after the flood?...
Quote:
There was no global flood. Geology proves that. The fact remains that 2nd Temple period Judaism believed, as shown by 1st Enoch among other writings, that the Nephilim were the offspring of angelic and human mating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
No global flood then, no angelic/human breeding then

Those thing looked forward to being fulfilled at the appointed time, in a broader, more global way I believe
Quote:
The interbreeding of rebellious angels with humans does not necessarily depend on a historical global flood. Having said that, the story of the interbreeding of rebellious angels with humans has as its backdrop the Mesopotamian myth of the Apkallu <snip>
Quote:
I agree with you on the flood scenario...So, what if they were wrong regarding the Nephilim?...
Mike, I probably didn’t word my comment very well and what I meant was what Richard is saying, no global flood at that time ... and I believe there was not actual angels having literal babies with human females at that time

I believe they are both stories that have symbolic meaning embedded in them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2021, 11:41 AM

3,430 posts, read 1,845,129 times
Quote:
Mike, I probably didn’t word my comment very well and what I meant was what Richard is saying, no global flood at that time ... and I believe there was not actual angels having literal babies with human females at that time

Could they have been the source of Giants? (Samoan and Native American people come to mind. Larger races of peoples)

Old 09-13-2021, 11:47 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
One of the reasons I believe the Nephilim were indeed 'giants' and hybrids...NOWHERE in the bible, is a human being referred to as being a 'Nephilim'.

Even the mightiest human men that lived in those days...were NOT referred to as Nephilim.
In Numbers 13:33, the spies thought they saw Nephilim, or descendants of them. It's thought that Goliath was one, possibly.

My view is that the "giants" seen later on were just big men.

Old 09-13-2021, 11:48 AM

Quote:
There was no global flood. Geology proves that. The fact remains that 2nd Temple period Judaism believed, as shown by 1st Enoch among other writings, that the Nephilim were the offspring of angelic and human mating.
Next thing you know, you'll be telling us biology confirms that virgins can't give birth.

Old 09-13-2021, 02:44 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Next thing you know, you'll be telling us biology confirms that virgins can't give birth.
(Big Grin)

Old 09-13-2021, 02:53 PM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:

I understand that you don't believe that angels mated with human women, Meerkat. We will have to disagree on that. Both Peter and Jude stated that it was angels and there is no other event in the Hebrew Scriptures to which they could have referred than Genesis 6.

Peter in 2 Peter 2:4 where he says that the angels that sinned were cast into Tartarus. And Jude in Jude 1:6.

I see no reason why angels could not mate with human females. We are dealing with the supernatural here after all.

But it's okay to disagree.

Old 09-13-2021, 03:06 PM

Quote:
I understand that you don't believe that angels mated with human women, Meerkat. We will have to disagree on that. Both Peter and Jude stated that it was angels and there is no other event in the Hebrew Scriptures to which they could have referred than Genesis 6.
To be fair, no. Neither writer said that angels mated with women. It is strongly inferred from the text, but it does not outright say it.
Quote:
Peter in 2 Peter 2:4 where he says that the angels that sinned were cast into Tartarus. And Jude in Jude 1:6.

I see no reason why angels could not mate with human females. We are dealing with the supernatural here after all.

After studying Jude more in-depth, I do believe that angels did mate with women. Whether or not they produced Nephilim, or the Nephilim are mentioned as a dating mechanism is unclear. But yes, this is a non-essential.

Old 09-13-2021, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
To be fair, no. Neither writer said that angels mated with women. It is strongly inferred from the text, but it does not outright say it.
You're splitting hairs. They were referring to Genesis 6 in which the sons of God mated with human females, and both Peter and Jude said that it was angels who were involved. And this is in keeping with 1 Enoch.
Quote:
After studying Jude more in-depth, I do believe that angels did mate with women. Whether or not they produced Nephilim, or the Nephilim are mentioned as a dating mechanism is unclear. But yes, this is a non-essential.
Since you are now accepting that angels can mate with human women why not accept Genesis 6:4's statement that seems to link the Nephilim with the children that were born from the angel/human mating. That is, Gen 6:4 appears to be saying that the Nephilim are the children that were born from that mating. And again, this is in keeping with 1 Enoch so it was a belief held in 2nd temple period Judaism.

Old 09-13-2021, 03:25 PM

11,898 posts, read 3,707,679 times
Quote:

I don’t think we are disagreeing so much as having a different perspective of when/how these things take place

Its about the different layerings and timings

I believe these things (supernaturally) relate to the past 2000 years, and we now have sufficient knowledge to be able to separate the history of regions/nations and be able to match it up with the prophetic things in the Scriptures that were foretold

There is an overlaying/overshadowing that happens

Old 09-13-2021, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I agree with you on the flood scenario...So, what if they were wrong regarding the Nephilim?...
Well, apart from the Bible, apart from Christianity, apart from Judaism, laying all that aside, our reality has some strange goings on. Things pertaining to the occult, the supernatural, weird happenings. I think there's room in the supernatural realm for the Nephilim and for the demons which supposedly are the spirits of the dead Nephilim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity