Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2022, 09:32 PM

1,339 posts, read 651,012 times

Advertisements

I'll answer the topic directly. All of these religious terminology makes religion confusing.

My belief: The bread/wafer becomes the Body of Christ once it is blessed over the altar (when the priest says the words that Jesus said to His disciplines).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2022, 07:20 AM

1,810 posts, read 897,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
I'll answer the topic directly. All of these religious terminology makes religion confusing.

My belief: The bread/wafer becomes the Body of Christ once it is blessed over the altar (when the priest says the words that Jesus said to His disciplines).
The bread/wafer is symbolic only. Once it goes in your mouth it is still a piece of bread or a wafer. It doesn’t change into something else. That thinking is utter nonsense.

Old 12-15-2022, 07:38 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,918,254 times
Quote:

Religious terminology exists to clarify, not to confuse.

You say: "The bread/wafer becomes the Body of Christ once it is blessed over the altar (when the priest says the words that Jesus said to His disciplines)"

All well and good, but that can mean many different things. For many people, this is too vague and will prompt further questions.

Being precise in stating our foundational principles is critical, because if they're off, then error and disagreement will compound down the line.

Old 12-15-2022, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
The bread/wafer is symbolic only. Once it goes in your mouth it is still a piece of bread or a wafer. It doesn’t change into something else. That thinking is utter nonsense.
In your religious tradition, that's correct. The bread remains bread and is purely symbolic.

But in the Catholic Church, this is not so. Since the Catholic Church was founded by Christ and has been endowed with His Authority, the Priests act in persona Christi to truly change the elements from bread and wine into the Body and Blood of Christ.

Old 12-15-2022, 08:28 AM

1,339 posts, read 651,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
Says who? Your denomination?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Religious terminology exists to clarify, not to confuse.

You say: "The bread/wafer becomes the Body of Christ once it is blessed over the altar (when the priest says the words that Jesus said to His disciplines)"

All well and good, but that can mean many different things. For many people, this is too vague and will prompt further questions.

Being precise in stating our foundational principles is critical, because if they're off, then error and disagreement will compound down the line.
Good point. The entire bible, in my opinion, is vague and the more it is read, the more questions that can be asked. Hence why I think it can be a bad thing to assert that one's own religious beliefs are 100% accurate.

Quote:
In your religious tradition, that's correct. The bread remains bread and is purely symbolic.

But in the Catholic Church, this is not so. Since the Catholic Church was founded by Christ and has been endowed with His Authority, the Priests act in persona Christi to truly change the elements from bread and wine into the Body and Blood of Christ.
I personally am not Catholic but I respect their beliefs and when I read the scripture of the Last Supper, Jesus literally states the bread is His body and the wine is His blood. What exactly does He mean by this? There's not much context. He could be saying the bread represents His body and the wine represents His blood, but the scripture does not say that. We have to do our best to interpret what he says either literally or non-literally and take our best guess as to what He meant.

Old 12-15-2022, 08:52 AM

Quote:
I personally am not Catholic but I respect their beliefs and when I read the scripture of the Last Supper, Jesus literally states the bread is His body and the wine is His blood. What exactly does He mean by this? There's not much context. He could be saying the bread represents His body and the wine represents His blood, but the scripture does not say that. We have to do our best to interpret what he says either literally or non-literally and take our best guess as to what He meant.
The Apostles knew what Jesus meant. We learn from them and from their successors.

Old 12-15-2022, 09:18 AM

16,665 posts, read 15,660,325 times
Quote:

If that is truly what happens, you can take some wine that has been changed into blood and have it tested just like each of us has our blood tested as a part of our medical examinations. It will show plasma, red blood cells, white blood cells, iron, and all the other normal constituents of blood.

You can post the blood test results here.

Old 12-15-2022, 09:20 AM

3,824 posts, read 1,378,057 times
Quote:
Says who? Your denomination?

Good point. The entire bible, in my opinion, is vague and the more it is read, the more questions that can be asked. Hence why I think it can be a bad thing to assert that one's own religious beliefs are 100% accurate.

Jesus clearly gave the context - only a few verses over:

(paraphrasing)
"... your ancestors ate (manna) but still died v.49,
but he who eats THIS bread will NOT die ...v.50"

and "I am the bread of life...v.35"
and "...this bread is my flesh... v.51"
and "...my flesh is real food, my blood real drink..." v.55

how can you say 'no context' ?

Old 12-15-2022, 09:27 AM

3,824 posts, read 1,378,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
If that is truly what happens, you can take some wine that has been changed into blood and have it tested just like each of us has our blood tested as a part of our medical examinations. It will show plasma, red blood cells, white blood cells, iron, and all the other normal constituents of blood.

we don't yet have instruments to measure glorified body characteristics ...

Old 12-15-2022, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post

The appearance of wine remains. It looks and tastes like wine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity