Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2009, 07:57 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,991,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenevada View Post
Remember that just because someone who declares themselves a Jehovah's Witnesses makes an unkind, it doesnt mean that everyone who belongs to the organization subscribes to that belief. Many times, personal feelings crowd out what we know from our study of the bible. We all 'sin and fall short of the glory of God', right?

If I found one thing contrary to the word of God in the beliefs I hold dear, I would abandon that belief. As of yet, I have not. I am a Jehovah's Witness BECAUSE I believe the way I do. Not the other way around, as I've said many times. So if you can show me ONE thing that is contrary to the word of God in the Watchtower or any other of our bible based publications, I would feel responsible to address that issue and see whether I agree. I've been doing this my whole life and I can confidently say, it is because of this 'testing out the inspired expressions' that I am still one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

As far as being 'rude' goes, remember you're talking to humans. Not 'Stepford Wives'. We aren't programmed to be perfect so we each have our own little foibles we must overcome. I like to think I am polite when Mormons or anyone else comes to my door. I'm sure everyone in my congregation would say the same.
quote: If I found one thing contrary to the word of God in the beliefs I hold dear, I would abandon that belief.

According to your version of the Bible,the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures, or according to the King James 1611 version?

So where do I start? I know let's start with John 1:1

In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with (ho) God and the Word was God.(no article "ho")

Do you realize that in the Greek it's isn't even proper rules of language to put an "a" before the second word God. If the first noun, in this case God, HAS the article (ho)then the second time the same noun is used it doesn't need 'ho' because it is automatically know it belongs there.

Last edited by mshipmate; 01-28-2009 at 08:07 PM..

Old 01-28-2009, 08:34 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,305,053 times
Christianity and Jehovah's Witnesses are two different things.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:54 AM

661 posts, read 1,184,234 times
Quote:
Christianity and Jehovah's Witnesses are two different things.
You said it. That makes it so.

There are 1000's of sects of Christianity. Some are monotheistic, some Trinitarian. You believe yours is the truth. So do they. Which is one reason I dont believe.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:44 AM

706 posts, read 1,242,014 times
Their religion is counterfeit christianity, but as for the individual JW, I won't judge them, that would be unchristian. The best thing that we as Christians can do is to pray for them and hopefully their eyes will be opened to the falsehoods that they are taught by their deceitful organization.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:04 PM

661 posts, read 1,184,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethetruth View Post
Their religion is counterfeit christianity, but as for the individual JW, I won't judge them, that would be unchristian. The best thing that we as Christians can do is to pray for them and hopefully their eyes will be opened to the falsehoods that they are taught by their deceitful organization.
They pray exactly the same for you.

How do you know you have THE truth?

Old 01-29-2009, 12:18 PM

706 posts, read 1,242,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwielder View Post

Well there is no absolute truth other than Jesus Christ, I may not know which particular denomination is the correct one, but I do know that this one is definitely not,

Old 01-29-2009, 12:20 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,591,041 times
maybe not the total truth but it's clearer than the JW

i'm sure you can find why within these pages of this thread

Quote:

Old 02-01-2009, 08:43 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,305,053 times
Quote:
You said it. That makes it so.

There are 1000's of sects of Christianity. Some are monotheistic, some Trinitarian. You believe yours is the truth. So do they. Which is one reason I dont believe.
All that I am saying is that JW don't believe that Jesus is God, and to be honest they are a cult. Christians differ in what they believe in, Jw believe that your works can get you into heaven, and so on. I'm not saying that my belief if over or beyound anyone elses, but I do know that Jw are different from what we believe in. There may be other Christians that practice something different, but most bible believing Christians, don't see Jw as christian, most will call them cults, which they are.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:45 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,497,210 times
The unbelieving Jews confronted Jesus when he said he (Jesus) saw Abraham....."You are not yet fifty years old," the Jews said to him, "and you have seen Abraham!"
58"I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!" 59At this, they picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds."

If Jesus was perfect and remained perfect, then he should not called himself the most sacred name the Jews would stone anybody for which they hold as blasphmey...I am

Jesus also told the Jews that his miracles proved his claims, that he was Jehovah.
Before Jesus, the OT prophets called upon the name of Jehovah to do a miracle....
After Jesus, the Apostles called upon the name of Jesus.....
HOWEVER...Jesus called upon nobody, he just did it.

Fact: If Jesus was to remain sinless, he should have called upon the name of Jehovah in doing miracles
Fact: If Jesus was to remain sinless, he should have said God the Father would raise him. But Jesus said that he will raise himself from the dead...
John 2:19
Jesus answered them, "Destroy this temple, and I will raise it again in three days."
This was verified in a court proceeding
Mark 14:58
"We heard him say, 'I will destroy this man-made temple and in three days will build another, not made by man.' "

Anybody who does not honor Jesus as Jehovah, doesn't honor the Father. JWs are like Saul (before his conversion.. aka Paul) Saul thought he was defending Jehovah, when actually he was persecuting him.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:40 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,185,601 times
This debate is endless and usually gets rather contentious, so all I'd like to say is that it will all be settled when words at Psalm 83:18 are finally fulfilled.

In the meantime, I implore everyone, regardless of your religion, to take a good hard look at whatever you were taught to believe and see if you are truly prepared to stand before the one who is "the Most High over all the Earth".

Last edited by treedonkey; 05-12-2009 at 02:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity