Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2010, 03:31 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,043,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
You do know this is a good way to get attacked by the person you are going to in love. I once went to a pastor who I believed had misspoke in his sermon. I approached him first by admitting my own strongholds or temptations and then I approached what I disagreed with. He never addressed the problem but he did come down on me for what I admitted to.

I have a serious yearning in my heart for the Jehovah Witnesses, when i lived in Virginia there was a group that came by about once a month and we talked for about an hour each time. We agreed on alot of stuff but the main thing that got me was Jesus being the brother of Satan and equal to Satan. They even went so far as to say Jesus was actually the archangel Michael and was not God but was a god. I am sorry but these things do not fit right and we had some pretty good discussions on this topic. Now we live in Morman Country and they avoid me like the plague, I guess they see me as a demon or something.
it does not say to confess your faults to the person who is in error...it says to get yourself right first so that you can see what is going on with the person in error in order to help him...For, instance if you had a problem with sexual sin and you saw another committing the same, first you need to get yourself under control and once you have done that then you can help that person to get their problem under control because you had already gone through the struggle and conquered it and now you can show them how to conquer it...

Old 06-06-2015, 09:54 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,844,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post
Christians differ in what they believe in, Jw believe that your works can get you into heaven,
Well,Faith without works IS dead.

believing is not eough

Old 06-07-2015, 07:09 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,406,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Well,Faith without works IS dead.

believing is not eough
And JW's do not believe any works can get you into heaven. That is God's choice period.

Their belief is that a genuine faith has works. A dead faith has none as James noted.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:02 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,497,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
And JW's do not believe any works can get you into heaven. That is God's choice period.

Their belief is that a genuine faith has works. A dead faith has none as James noted.
genuine faith also believes that:
  • Jesus is Immanuel ...... JW's reject that
  • The Word is God (John 1:1-5) ..... JW's reject that
  • Worship \ honor is due to Jesus the same as given to the Father .... JW's reject that
  • Jesus physically rose from the dead ..... JW's reject that
  • The message of the cross .... JW's reject that

Old 06-10-2015, 11:13 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
  • Worship \ honor is due to Jesus the same as given to the Father .... JW's reject that
Those JWs seem like really bright folks. Except I love birthdays, holidays and free time instead of knocking doors...

Old 06-10-2015, 11:18 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,497,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Those JWs seem like really bright folks. Except I love birthdays, holidays and free time instead of knocking doors...
Don't tell this to expatCA ... but those "exceptions" are an example of why they are a works-righteous religion.

Old 06-10-2015, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Yes they do because it is misapplication and misunderstanding of scripture.

Oh by the way honor and worship are different, as we honor men today but do not worship them. In fact the Biblical word does not include religious worship unless the context includes specific words to that effect. If you like the KJV the word in the 1600's also meant honor and respect, not religious worship unless that was specifically stated. They called Lord's "Your worship" like we today call a judge "your honor". Don't blindly believe, learn.

Old 06-10-2015, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Many find their free time is enjoyable knocking on doors, kinda like Paul and the early Christians did. They also play games, bowl, play golf, ski, boat, hike, skate ............................. lots of things are done. They are also very happy with their life.

Old 06-10-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Don't tell this to expatCA ... but those "exceptions" are an example of why they are a works-righteous religion.
Your ignorance is showing.

*** rs p. 359 Salvation *** (JW publication) (JW's official explanation in parenthesis)
Is anything more than faith needed in order to gain salvation?
Eph. 2:8, 9, RS: “By grace [“undeserved kindness,” NW] you have been saved through faith; and this is not your own doing, it is the gift of God—not because of works, lest any man should boast.” (The entire provision for salvation is an expression of God’s undeserved kindness. There is no way that a descendant of Adam can gain salvation on his own, no matter how noble his works are. Salvation is a gift from God given to those who put faith in the sin-atoning value of the sacrifice of his Son.)

Heb. 5:9, RS: “He [Jesus] became the source of eternal salvation to all who obey him.” (Does this conflict with the statement that Christians are “saved through faith”? Not at all. Obedience simply demonstrates that their faith is genuine.)

Jas. 2:14, 26, RS: “What does it profit, my brethren, if a man says he has faith but has not works? Can his faith save him? For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so faith apart from works is dead.” (A person does not earn salvation by his works. But anyone who has genuine faith will have works to go with it—works of obedience to the commands of God and Christ, works that demonstrate his faith and love. Without such works, his faith is dead.)

Acts 16:30, 31, RS: “‘Men, what must I do to be saved?’ And they [Paul and Silas] said, ‘Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.’” (If that man and his household truly believed, would they not act in harmony with their belief? Certainly.)

JW's are taught that works alone are of no value. Only works IN faith have any value. Of course for those who cherry pick a verse or two and ignore the rest .......................

Old 06-10-2015, 05:58 PM

1,422 posts, read 952,003 times
Do Jehovah's witnesses consider themselves Christians?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity