Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How will you react?
Rage, rejection, and disown right away. 3 7.89%
Lecture ,counsel, and punish the child until he or she is straight. 2 5.26%
Remain neutral and pray for the best, but refuse to engage in the GLBT community. 13 34.21%
Support and understand the child's decision and remain accepting of the GLBT people. 20 52.63%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 09:46 AM

4,213 posts, read 5,833,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Of course, the Gnostic Christian response: THERE IS NOTHING, IN AND OF IT'S SELF, WRONG WITH BEING GAY. Sure, Satan, our creator, does not like people being gay...but he also does not like people eating crab, listening to music, wearing bright colors, shaving their beards etc etc etc...funny, I have yet to see a Nicene Christian condemn women for showing their hair in public the way they condemn gays.

Anyway, yes, having a thousand sex partners can be spiritually damaging, but some straight people do that as well as some gay people. Simply loving someone of the same sex? Nothing wrong with it at all.

Keep in mind that Satan's laws, i.e., the Old Testament, also say that disobedient children should be stoned to death and that it is a sin to take a road-killed animal off the street. Most Nicenes, however, cherry pick what they want to follow from the laws of satan, so they often lack consistency.
I seriously think you need to post elsewhere. Satan is the adversary of God and not the author of the OT. You clearly have no understanding of the scriptures or how the OT and NT work together.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
We're winning!!!

Love and Enlightenment eek out the lead 'round the last bend....

Go, gay, Go! Go, gay, Go!
Not really, all this poll is really showing us is who are real Christians and who are not.

You realluy need to look at the count though, the top three are against the gay and the bottom one is for the gay and it seems the gay lifestyle is loosing.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:52 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,218,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
They are not married in the eyes of God because marriage is only between on man and one woman. Now if a person who has gay tendencies is married to someone of the opposite sex then so long as they are faithful to their spouse and deny their same sex temptation then they will be blessed by the Lord.
Well, that's a cute little interpretation and opinion you have there, but you don't know what God believes or condones.

My parents told me they felt like I had died when I told them I was gay. They're simple, uneducated Christian Fundamentalists and there's no having a rational discussion with them about religion. There are only two options with my parents - believe exactly as them, or go to hell.

Needless to say, we don't have a good relationship. I haven't seen them in several years, and no longer love them. I could care less what they think of me. They've said cruel things to me in the past and I don't need that type of thing in my life. I have my own family and have moved on.

I just find it ironic that these people who claim to be all for "family values" are the first ones to throw a gay child under the bus.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:11 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,702,097 times
^
Isn't that great? Robin takes something about marriage being between a man and woman and then extrapolates her opinion to come up with this bit about suppressing gay tendencies to be with one's spouse.

But, I guess she is right because she believes in a secular interpretation of the Bible and, therefore, any opinion of hers MUST be the opinion of God.

I feel for you Denverin. Uneducated fundamentalists are a problem worldwide. The solution is to keep developing analytical thinking skills in our youth (not teach them any doctrine or lack of doctrine - simple analytical skills) so people stop just parroting.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Well, that's a cute little interpretation and opinion you have there, but you don't know what God believes or condones.

My parents told me they felt like I had died when I told them I was gay. They're simple, uneducated Christian Fundamentalists and there's no having a rational discussion with them about religion. There are only two options with my parents - believe exactly as them, or go to hell.

Needless to say, we don't have a good relationship. I haven't seen them in several years, and no longer love them. I could care less what they think of me. They've said cruel things to me in the past and I don't need that type of thing in my life. I have my own family and have moved on.

I just find it ironic that these people who claim to be all for "family values" are the first ones to throw a gay child under the bus.
My definition is Biblical and Christian.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
^
Isn't that great? Robin takes something about marriage being between a man and woman and then extrapolates her opinion to come up with this bit about suppressing gay tendencies to be with one's spouse.

But, I guess she is right because she believes in a secular interpretation of the Bible and, therefore, any opinion of hers MUST be the opinion of God.

I feel for you Denverin. Uneducated fundamentalists are a problem worldwide. The solution is to keep developing analytical thinking skills in our youth (not teach them any doctrine or lack of doctrine - simple analytical skills) so people stop just parroting.
Well first Robin is a he and has specified so many times. And as I stated above my perspective is Biblical and Christian which this op is asking for a Christian perspective.

I have also expressed my own struggles with same sex attraction and have resisted such temptation my entire life. It has gotten easier as I get older, but something that trully helped me was my family relationships. I was very close to my father and my wife helped me alot.

It is not a matter of teaching out children doctrine, but if we raise our children reading the Bible and understand the love of our Lord then sexual immorality will not be such a big issue.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:24 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,218,248 times
Quote:
^

I've heard the "parroting" from my parents - and their beloved pastor of a megachurch loves to preach on the "evils" of homosexuality, so I feel that they've just fallen for more brainwashing. Their pastor is also under investigation by by the IRS, drives a Hummer with armed guards, and lives a lavish lifestlye. But hey, as long as it's a heterosexual lifestyle

I haven't lived around my parents for 16 years, and I'm quite happy with my life, so no big deal to me. I just can't imagine my own children feeling that way about me. I would never turn against my own children the way my own parents did me. To basically flush all those years of work and love down the toilet in the name of religious fundamentalism is just nuts, IMO. I think my parents are just anti-gay, can't deal with it, and therefore seek out justification and affirmation through religon.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I've heard the "parroting" from my parents - and their beloved pastor of a megachurch loves to preach on the "evils" of homosexuality, so I feel that they've just fallen for more brainwashing. Their pastor is also under investigation by by the IRS, drives a Hummer with armed guards, and lives a lavish lifestlye. But hey, as long as it's a heterosexual lifestyle

I haven't lived around my parents for 16 years, and I'm quite happy with my life, so no big deal to me. I just can't imagine my own children feeling that way about me. I would never turn against my own children the way my own parents did me. To basically flush all those years of work and love down the toilet in the name of religious fundamentalism is just nuts, IMO. I think my parents are just anti-gay, can't deal with it, and therefore seek out justification and affirmation through religon.
So sinse you have condemned yourself to hell, you are willing to condemn your children as well. You are very hateful if this is your stance and you have the nerve to judge your parents.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:32 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,022,674 times
If my son told me he was gay, I would say "let's go have a beer!!!" Of course he would need to be 21 but I'd still say it now. I love him more than life itself and his choices would be my choices. I would support him 1000%!!!!!!!!

Old 03-09-2009, 11:51 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,977,654 times
I remember, from way back in my late teens, a big tough young man and his partner showing up at his dad's front door for Thanksgiving. My brothers and I were playing football in our front yard half a block from this guys house. It would have been about 1965. I never learned what set it off, but it wasn't long until the door flew open, with the son running away as fast as he could with his dad right behind him. Did I mention the dad was a DI in the Marines? Anyhow, dad caught son in a corner between two houses and a fence, and the fight was on. Here were these two big, powerful men just standing there trading blows. Apparently there was a lot of pent up history between them because it was brutal....and lasted for quite a while. It would have been at least a two rounder without a break. Finally their hands dropped, their faces bloody, they stood there staring. After a few moments of silence broken only by the heavy breathing of the two men, the dad turned and looked at us. He shook his head and said "He may be *****, but, by God, he's a man." From then on we often saw Jim and his partner visiting Jim's parents. I was 17 at the time and about to enter my senior year in HS and was my first exposure to the gay community. I often wondered at what kind of anger or hatred could trigger that kind of fight between two people who had loved each other for decades. Surely anger of that magnitude can only come from Satan.

denverian, I hope that you realize there are a lot of us heterosexual Christians who not only will NOT condemn you and your lifestyle (choice really isn't applicable, is it?) but will pray that you find the partner of your dreams and live a full and happy life. Why God allows diversity of this type is beyond my understanding, but I accept the fact that a persons sexuality is not under his control. And in recognizing my own limitations I understand that you should have all the rights I do and should be allowed to pursue your happiness to the fullest. I wish you the very best life has to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity