Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: is baltimore more like northern or southern cities?
yes, like Philly 105 91.30%
no, its more like Richmond, Atl 10 8.70%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 12:32 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_Aficionado View Post
The actual size of the highways themselves are used as a barometer by some, especially in Sunbelt cities but not necessarily by me. I'm familiar enough with cities like Dallas to know that the golden rule does not always apply. I think you get what I'm saying though, large means different things to different people dependent on the perspective.

BTW, you know I've been all through Philly on foot as well as by automobile. I was dumbfounded the first time one of those SEPTA streetcars (I guess that's what you call them) approached me from behind using my lane of traffic! I didn't know who had the right of way, or if I needed to pull over and treat it like an ambulance.

Understood

Just for future reference the right of way is the same as you would treat a bus unless it is a trolly only lane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 04:42 PM

46 posts, read 118,728 times
Interesting poll...I have never heard anyone compare Atlanta to Baltimore, but to each their own. Baltimore and Philly seem to have a very similar feel.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:50 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,218,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
So on continuously developed Urbanized area:

Jacksonville .9 million
Atlanta 4.9 million
Baltimore 6.2 Million (part of a continuously urbanized space)

Also for reference the UA of Atlanta covers 5,083 sq miles and the combined Baltimore/DC UA continuously developed covers 4,734 sq miles with 27% more population but yes Baltimore is closer to Jacksonville Maybe Cleveland or Denver or Seattle, not Jacksonville
First of all, let me be clear for you, so you understand.

The mass that is the urbanized/suburbanized area of Atlanta is huge. The mass that is urbanized/suburbanized for Baltimore is much, much smaller.

Secondly, stop ADDING DC and Baltimore together. The link in development between the two is NARROW, as is clearly even shown between your maps, as well as any maps that I've seen, as well as observation when in the area. The development between the two parallels I-95. When you move away from I-95 for about five to ten miles, that suburbanized span fades away. You can clearly tell, based upon the fact there are large blobs of development, each for DC and Baltimore, and the area connecting the two is rather thin, relative to the masses.

Why is this the case? It's because of the fact that Columbia, Maryland was like an anchor city for development between the two. By way of it, developers didn't see developing between the two as much of an obstacle, so they began developing between the two. However, even that said, while I'll agree that there is now continuity between the two regions, they really do not function as one, the development is narrow compared to the two primary metro regions, indicating that the development was not part of the original development of both metro areas, and lastly because the areas didn't merge in a built-up sense until around the mid to late 90s. I can remember traveling throughout that region in the 90s, and there still being large gaps in development between Baltimore and DC.

On the other hand, Atlanta's urbanized/suburbanized (urban) span dwarfs what is really Baltimore's (not connecting the two by way of that thin link), and is larger than DC's as well (not dwarfing it, however).

Population-wise, Atlanta's population within the confines of the urbanized/suburbanized area is larger than what is really Baltimore. Again, please stop adding the two metros together.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:35 AM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
To make this long drawn out story short, Baltimore is a northeastern city.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:36 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,568,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post

The mass that is the urbanized/suburbanized area of Atlanta is huge. The mass that is urbanized/suburbanized for Baltimore is much, much smaller.

Secondly, stop ADDING DC and Baltimore together. The link in development between the two is NARROW, as is clearly even shown between your maps, as well as any maps that I've seen, as well as observation when in the area. The development between the two parallels I-95. When you move away from I-95 for about five to ten miles, that suburbanized span fades away. You can clearly tell, based upon the fact there are large blobs of development, each for DC and Baltimore, and the area connecting the two is rather thin, relative to the masses.

Why is this the case? It's because of the fact that Columbia, Maryland was like an anchor city for development between the two. By way of it, developers didn't see developing between the two as much of an obstacle, so they began developing between the two. However, even that said, while I'll agree that there is now continuity between the two regions, they really do not function as one, the development is narrow compared to the two primary metro regions, indicating that the development was not part of the original development of both metro areas, and lastly because the areas didn't merge in a built-up sense until around the mid to late 90s. I can remember traveling throughout that region in the 90s, and there still being large gaps in development between Baltimore and DC.

On the other hand, Atlanta's urbanized/suburbanized (urban) span dwarfs what is really Baltimore's (not connecting the two by way of that thin link), and is larger than DC's as well (not dwarfing it, however).

Population-wise, Atlanta's population within the confines of the urbanized/suburbanized area is larger than what is really Baltimore. Again, please stop adding the two metros together.
There is constant development throughout the DC-Bmore CSA which is why they are one CSA, The MSAs are broken up because of commuting patterns and proximity to the central cities. The development is continuous from a somewhere between Fredericksburg and Woodbridge VA, all the way north past Baltimore to almost Aberdeen, MD thats about 100 miles. East-West develoment goes as far as the Chesapeake bay, westward almost to the mountains, but at least to Frederick MD or Loudon County VA.

From I-95 and 295 you will not see all of this "development" but on every exit in each direction East or West of both there are communities throughout the 25-30 mile ride. Rt 1 which is not a freeway, you actually can see the density on both sides.

That Green line seperates the "Baltimore MSA" to the North from "DC MSA" to the south

Is Baltimore a northester city like Philly or a southern city like Atlanta-laurel.jpg

Last edited by the resident09; 11-17-2010 at 07:54 AM..

Old 11-17-2010, 07:50 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,568,606 times
Quote:

More development just North of the last pic in Laurel MD, you'll notice the trees immediately first from the highway, with the development just on the other side

Is Baltimore a northester city like Philly or a southern city like Atlanta-n-laurel.jpg

Continuing up I-95 in the "Baltimore MSA" of Howard county the "Midway point" of DC & Bmore still developed

Is Baltimore a northester city like Philly or a southern city like Atlanta-i-95.jpg

Baltimore County with I-95 running through it to the NE less than 10 miles outside of Downtown Baltimore.

Is Baltimore a northester city like Philly or a southern city like Atlanta-bmore-c.jpg

Old 11-17-2010, 01:00 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,766,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
To make this long drawn out story short, Baltimore is a northeastern city.
/thread.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:51 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Yeah it is 82 to 9 - almost like the first quarter of the Eagles Skins game

Old 11-17-2010, 01:52 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,410,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
Southern, just like Wilmington, Philly, and Newark.
Delaware is a northern city,

Old 11-17-2010, 03:04 PM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Those days are long gone. You'd be quite surprised how much the whole region has changed since the 1990s. Heck, even I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City