Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Minneapolis vs Denver
City of lakes 63 55.26%
Queen city of the plains 51 44.74%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 08:04 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,072,296 times

Advertisements

No way does Minne beat Denver in Sports!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 12:23 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
No way does Minne beat Denver in Sports!
Not winning percentage, no.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:11 PM

Or fans! And that is a fact!!! Avs had the longest sellout streak in the NHL for about a 10 year stretch, Rockies have broke every attendance record there is, and the Broncos are always sold out with far too many people still wanting season tickets! As for the Nuggets? Well they do fairly good! Better than the wolves for sure! So yes, Denver is the better sports city! I can give Minne the slight edge for the gophers, but between CU and DU it is pretty close!

Old 03-28-2013, 04:26 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,985,611 times
Quote:
Or fans! And that is a fact!!! Avs had the longest sellout streak in the NHL for about a 10 year stretch, Rockies have broke every attendance record there is, and the Broncos are always sold out with far too many people still wanting season tickets! As for the Nuggets? Well they do fairly good! Better than the wolves for sure! So yes, Denver is the better sports city! I can give Minne the slight edge for the gophers, but between CU and DU it is pretty close!
If one were to average out total attendance for NFL, MLB, NHL, and the NBA over the past 10 or 20 years, the two markets would have similar attendance numbers. I had time to do NHL attendance over the past 10 seasons; Minnesota averaged 18,398 and Colorado averaged 16,617. I'm assuming they are within a couple thousand of one another for every other sport as well. That said, to state Denver has the better fan base is NOT a fact. Furthermore, neither CU or DU generate the revenue that the University of Minnesota does in sports. As of 2011, the U of M generated $78,924, 683, CU generated $60,923,253. DU isn't even on the radar so it's safe to assume that the U of M generates more revenue than CU and DU combined.

These two metro areas are similar on so many levels it's crazy. To try and have a p*ssing contest between the two is pointless.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:42 PM

"If one were to average out total attendance for NFL, MLB, NHL, and the NBA over the past 10 or 20 years, the two markets would have similar attendance numbers"

Not true at all!!! Mile high has been selling out that whole time, and it holds MANY MANY more than the metrodome! Louder as well!! Coors set every attendance record there is (and old mile high the first year). I do believe DU has been the far better hockey program as of the last 10 years. Minne IS NOT in the same league as Denver for pro sports! Denver has also been named the "Sporting City" of the year more times than Minne as well! I will say it is close, but Denver is a step ahead!

Old 03-28-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Now how is all of that possible when 25% of the metro's residents come from other cities? Denver is incredibly transient!

And sell-outs don't mean anything if the seats aren't totally occupied. For instance, I know teams have corporate sponsors that help. The Columbus Blue Jackets were a sell-out team in Columbus, but when I went to ONE game (against the Wild) there were at least 1/3 of the seats vacant. Offten times corporations sign a deal with the team to purchase a predetermined number of tickets in the event that the team is close to a blackout. I know Pillsbury did this with the Vikings for quite a while (not anymore). It wouldn't surprise me if something like that occurred with the Avalanche. Denver, while quite a good hockey town in this country, pales in comparison compared to MN and its hockey culture.....it's night and day (and you wouldn't know why unless you've lived in both places).

So for pro sports, I think it's closer than you may feel, even though the MN teams have struggled mightly compared to the Denver teams in the past two decades. And in terms of other sports (college, high school, not the "big four" pro sports like soccer or lacrosse) I think it's easily as good, if not better.....but I wouldn't know as I haven't lived in Denver before, so I'm not going to pretend like I'm some expert on its sports scene.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:17 AM

There are no empty seats at Invesco!!!! And Coors Field is just to damn big to always be full (50,200). But yes, we do get more fans than Minne (except the Avs now).

Old 03-29-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
There are no empty seats at Invesco!!!! And Coors Field is just to damn big to always be full (50,200). But yes, we do get more fans than Minne (except the Avs now).
How about MLB?

Old 03-29-2013, 10:55 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,985,611 times
Quote:
Up until this year, the Metrodome never had empty seats. I think this year it was at 95% capacity. This will obviously change with a new stadium.

IMO, Broncos fans are better when it comes to supporting their team. Vikings fans, especially the older ones, are extreme when it comes to supporting their team.

As far as Coors Field, the Metrodome seated over 55,883 for baseball. The Twins made the right decision in building a stadium with a capacity of just over 39,000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
How about MLB?
10 year average:
MLB
CO: 30,766
MN: 30,037

NBA
CO: 17,096
MN: 15,948

My assumption was right, the two markets are close.

Last edited by YIMBY; 03-29-2013 at 11:09 AM..

Old 03-29-2013, 04:43 PM

Now try football! CLose, but as i said, Denver is ahead! Now look up the rockies attendance records! Must ever at 1 game. Most ever at 2-game and 3-game series. Highest attendance ever for 1-season. Fastest team ever to 10, 20, and 30 million fans! And NO chance on Earth that the Twins routinely sold out the metrodome for all season! No chance at all! For a few games? Yes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City