Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2013, 12:32 AM

580 posts, read 1,180,829 times

Advertisements

SF is not even a top 5 skyline in the US
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 12:34 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,132,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
SF is not even a top 5 skyline in the US
What do you rate above SF? I know it's the obvious NYC and Chicago, but what else?

Old 03-11-2013, 12:39 AM

507 posts, read 806,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
What do you rate above SF? I know it's the obvious NYC and Chicago, but what else?
It's very subjective but I would put Seattle, Pittsburgh, Philly, and maybe Dallas as having a better skyline, however skylines don't define a city for me, nice to look at but not much else.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:53 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times
I like Los Angeles better than either New York or San Francisco. I honestly think it's the most laid back and liberal in the classic definition among the three cities.

The San Francisco Bay Area, and especially SF, is the quintessential perfect place in terms of quality of life. Annnnnnd the people that live here know this and really let it get to their heads, which can ruin its enjoyment sometimes. East Coasters feel more comfortable in SF/Bay, more often than not because it has some East Coast attitude (for better or worse) and it's a city of interconnected walkable neighborhoods.

New York is just...New York. Nice place to visit certainly. While I'm not a North American self-loather, I think I would prefer to live in Tokyo over New York, LA or SF anyday.

So, my list of preference: 1. Tokyo, 2. LA, 3. SF, 4. NYC

Old 03-11-2013, 06:44 AM

580 posts, read 1,180,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
No.
Why not? I guess the truth hurts.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:59 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,134,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
Why not? I guess the truth hurts.
No, I unknowingly slipped into a conversation with a "skyline" person (you). Now I am exiting.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:08 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This weird, flailing rant doesnt really disprove my statements.

Contrary to your ignorant statement earlier, the Bay Area's clout and influence in 2013 while not as big as New York, is quite substantial and that is evident by the billions of people who rely daily on platforms of self expression and connectivity that originate from and are globally managed in the Bay Area.

And by the TRILLIONS of dollars investors from around the world have put specifically in the Bay Area because they recognize the potential of our innovations.

Billions of people and trillions of dollars equal immense clout and influence, fyi.

And so, combine that with the other things that contribute to making the Bay Area desirable not only as a place to live and play,.but also be a part of the worldwide capital of the most innovative industry on earth, and.suddenly making the case for the Bay Area becomes quite easy. Wouldnt you agree?

#boss
I'm not sure you're understanding what I said. No one said the Bay Area has no influence or isn't influential--it just has much less so than NYC. You seem to have a very different view of what "much less" would entail, but you seem perfectly happy to harp on, in comparison, the much smaller differences in stature between SF and other cities in the US. The tri-state area is much more influential the Bay Area, and NYC is much much more influential than SF. These are in relative terms to each other.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:12 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'm not sure you're understanding what I said. No one said the Bay Area has no influence or isn't influential--it just has much less so than NYC.
No, you said the Bay Area's influence and clout is miniscule compared to New York and while I'm sure New York has more name recognition and a far more famous image, the Bay Area in 2013 is extremely influential and wields tremendous clout and influence, definitely NOT miniscule compared to New York, but in fact pound for pound, probably greater than New York in this regard.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:14 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
No, you said the Bay Area's influence and clout is miniscule compared to New York and while I'm sure New York has more name recognition and a far more famous image, the Bay Area in 2013 is extremely influential and wields tremendous clout and influence, definitely NOT miniscule compared to New York, but in fact pound for pound, probably greater than New York in this regard.
See, you have that right there "compared to" it's small. You've got it.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:32 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
See, you have that right there "compared to" it's small. You've got it.
No that's what you said.

But your 1980s mentality is rendered outdated by the fact that hundreds of millions(if not billions) of people directly affected by the Bay Area on a daily basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City