Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What area looks/feels more Asian?
New York 19 11.52%
California 146 88.48%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 07:24 PM

312 posts, read 436,575 times

Advertisements

The Northeast in general cant compare to the West Coast on Asian presence. Its laughable when Northeasterners try to act like they offer quality Asian food, culture, shops, religious institutions, and the like. New York does very well for itself but its the only heavy hitter in the Asian category in the Northeast. Either way the Northeast in general is segregated across the map in its large megalopolises, the West Coast not so much.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:27 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,605,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Network View Post
The Northeast in general cant compare to the West Coast on Asian presence. Its laughable when Northeasterners try to act like they offer quality Asian food, culture, shops, religious institutions, and the like. New York does very well for itself but its the only heavy hitter in the Asian category in the Northeast. Either way the Northeast in general is segregated across the map in its large megalopolises, the West Coast not so much.
the west coast is pretty segregated dude, not sure where you got the idea it isn't

Old 05-23-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
the west coast is pretty segregated dude, not sure where you got the idea it isn't
Yeah for sure, I don't doubt it at all because segregation definitely exists everywhere. But the Northeast and Midwest are known for hyper segregation whereas its not the case in the West Coast.

Bay Area isn't really anywhere near as segregated as the Northeast or Midwest megalopolises.

It's not even close: All sizes | Contiguous United States, Census 2010 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/walkingsf/5557821892/sizes/o/in/set-72157626354149574/ - broken link)

Old 05-23-2011, 07:34 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,471,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Agree to disagree. That's not diverse. Those percentages indicate to me that, for whatever reason, more whites would rather not live in Oakland (especially considering that San Francisco has a much higher percentage of whites).
LOL BigLieBeliever, subscribe to whatever form of fabrication pleases you most. Do you also believe that the Earth is only 6,000 years old? I'm amazed that a grown adult (as I assume you are) would use the term "diverse" and claim the national percentages as a guideline to follow, and then deny that close-to-even numbers are actually diverse LMFAO!! But suit yourself; yes, we will agree to disagree lol.

Just please do us all a favor and don't enter the next diversity discussion boasting Eastern cities' supposed diversity, and then deviate from the criteria that fit your needs for this discussion. Hypocrisy is revolting. Stand by your 70% white/10% black/10% Hispanic/5% Asian model of "diversity" if that's what you truly believe. And maybe at some point try looking up the definition of the term "diverse" and get some insight into just how f-ed up your view of 70% white (or 70% anything at all) equating diversity is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
And I never said east coast cities don't have similar diversity issues. Of course they do.
No, what you said was that "we don't need cities that have such distorted percentages." Which means that you can take all of the NJ/NY cities that deviate from the US national percentages and throw them out of the discussion. Which doesn't leave NJ/NY looking very diverse after that's done, but hey, whatever you wanna do. Lol.

Last edited by jman650; 05-23-2011 at 07:46 PM..

Old 05-23-2011, 07:38 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,471,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
And what about the fact that Whites are the fastest growing race in Oakland behind Asians.

Furthermore, what exactly does being appealling to White people that have to do with overall racial diversity?

That sort of thinking must be an East Coast thing cause out here, Whites and Blacks are not the only game in town.

In California, Hispanics and Asians are not a novelty or groups that give White Yuppie Hipsterss neat restaurants to hang out in on weekends.

No, we have entire cities dominated by these groups and they are strong vibrant neighborhoods that dont rely on the approval of Whites OR Blacks to justify their existence.

Dont worry East Coaster, one day you'll get there.
Exactly! And I don't get what's so hard for some folks to get about the underlined part. It seems some of these clowns are able to count Hispanics here and there, but but anything not white, black or sometimes Latin (or in just Starks' case, Indian) just doesn't register. Which makes their participation in this thread even that much more bizarre lol.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:58 PM

929 posts, read 1,901,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket
More importantly, Seattle is the hometown of Samoan baller Peyton Siva! On the East Coast (even in areas with large Asian populations) you're less likely to see Asian Americans even representing high school basketball or football teams. This isn't the case in California or Washington State.
Not necessarily true. Even at my HS, which was about 93% White, I played Football with a Vietnamese dude and another player was Filipino and Greek. We had a few Black players(inc. myself), a Native American player and a player with parents from Colombia. I've seen Asian Basketball, Football, Track, Soccer, Tennis and maybe Baseball players at HS's in my part of NY. I've seen Asian athletes at HS's in other parts of the state as well. They might not be high profile, but they here too.
Ya, I don't doubt it. I was a reasonably successful Asian hs basketball player myself. I've actually spent a ton of time looking at rosters on maxpreps.com just out of demographic curiosity and hs basketball teams in CA have a much higher chance of having an Asian than similarly Asian-populated areas elsewhere.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:11 AM

929 posts, read 1,901,856 times
Quote:
Actually pretty surprised that no South Asian language is present in New Jersey.

For New York State:
DMV Written Tests or Driver
Quote:
Again, surprised that there isn't a South Asian language present, but JAPANESE is present in both NJ's and NY's driver license written tests, despite having a MUCH smaller Japanese speaking population than a South Asian one?
Ya, that's definitely odd. The South Asian population in NY and NJ dwarfs the Japanese population. However, since there are a ton of South Asian languages, the DMV may have felt that it'd be tough to do justice to all of them and may have not wanted to "pick favorites." India's official language is English, anyway, and Indians constitute the vast majority of South Asians in the Tri-State area.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:27 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,379,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Speaking on raw numbers, I'm with you.
Ehh, I don't think that's a good way to gauge how _____ a place is. After all, New York City has 500,000 more Hispanic people IN RAW numbers than Los Angeles, but I don't think very many people on CD is ever really going to claim that NYC is suddenly way more Hispanic than Los Angeles (in terms of the different numbers of groups represented, NYC's has waaaayyy more Latin American countries represented proportionally, but is that enough to make it seem more Latin? That's for another thread)

American FactFinder
Los Angeles: 1,838,822 Hispanics (48.5% of the population)
New York City: 2,336,076 Hispanics (28.6% of the population)

Or even more relevant to the SF-NYC example is comparing NYC-Miami on Latinos. NYC's Latinos, by themselves, make up nearly the same population as Miami-Dade County AS A WHOLE (which has 2.4 million PEOPLE of all ethnicities). Again; which feels more Latin? See what I mean? Raw numbers only tell part of the story when it comes to feel (though it does play a HUGEEEE part)

Guess the crux of those individual city threads would be: What's more important? Raw numbers or proportion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
Ya, that's definitely odd. The South Asian population in NY and NJ dwarfs the Japanese population. However, since there are a ton of South Asian languages, the DMV may have felt that it'd be tough to do justice to all of them and may have not wanted to "pick favorites." India's official language is English, anyway, and Indians constitute the vast majority of South Asians in the Tri-State area.
Well, the vast majority of Desis who come here tend to come from the Hindi/Urdu Belt (official languages of India and Pakistan, respectively), with Punjabi, Gujurati, and Bengali minorities. There are SOME South Indians (especially Tamils) who come here, but I doubt its as many as those who speak Hindi/Urdu.

It could also just be that California's DMV really LOVES translating stuff to make our lives that much more fun! But you would expect, given the HUGE amount of South Asians in the area, that at least one would be represented.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
Most Indians normally stick to regional languages rather than learning Hindi or Urdu altogether. It's a bit surprising but at the same time I can sort of see why the languages aren't offered for those services. Those are the largest South Asian languages but people who speak Telegu wont know Hindi, same for Tamil, Malyalee, Gujurati, Bengali, and a few others. Punjabi while classified as a language is mostly like a dialect rather than a language, its very similar to Hindi so in that case most Punjabi speakers are fluent in Hindi or Urdu too.

I don't know about other areas but where I live and in Texas in general, there never seems to be one type of Desi more common than the other, there's always this weird but somehow proportionate number of them all in the city or metro of choice.

It's almost the same thing with Chinese too.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:10 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,392,735 times
For whatever it's worth, here's an insightful article on Asian-Americans.

What Happens to All the Asian-American Overachievers When the Test-Taking Ends? -- New York Magazine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City