Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the hub for Asian culture in the US: Tri-State Area, SoCal or the Bay Area?
Tri-State Area 31 22.63%
SoCal 42 30.66%
Bay Area 64 46.72%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 11:16 AM

2,342 posts, read 3,989,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
Yes, enlighten us with your thoughts.
k.
Quote:
Given that you were born in Albany, your parents obviously chose NY and the East Coast over the West Coast.
They got a better job offer in New York than California, they immigrated through San Francisco from China.
Quote:
How does the East Asian community out in the East Coast view its West Coast counterparts?
WC to EC, I feel like NYC and the rest of the eastcoast are making strides at Asian life. It's the little things that matter most to us and NYC has done well selling its Asian neighborhoods (chinatown Manhattan), restaurants, culture, and even sports figures (Lin) to the world. Its increasingly becoming more known as a place to live for Asians rather than a place to visit but it still has a long way to go before its impact is as influential as California. Asians have assimilated into society here, I for one can tell you many neighborhood watch programs out here have a fair amount of Asian volunteers, Asian politicians, lobbyists, journalists, news reporters, every job you can think of they have held or still do hold out here.

EC to WC, California is viewed as the gateway to the motherland but even though NYC still offers a lot for Asians. It's truly a global city in every sense of the word and I cant take anything away from that.

Doesn't matter anymore, its 2012 and the entire country is becoming more diverse. Asians are the largest immigration group into the US now for the first time surpassing Latinos and they aren't just settling in California but the other 49 as well, especially the states with already established immigration gateways like New York, Florida, Texas, Illinois, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Georgia, or North Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 11:32 AM

Asian culture in California is really normal. It's been assimilated into Californian society for so long. You will hardly find monuments or memorials like these in some of the newer Asian destinations but that is not to say that it cant or wont ever happen. It just hasn't yet because its a much newer thing for Asians to be settling back east, well newer as in more recent than California at least.

In California, Japanese inscriptions post WWII
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5456/7...6eb47597_z.jpg

Old 07-17-2012, 02:33 PM

54 posts, read 82,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
k.

They got a better job offer in New York than California, they immigrated through San Francisco from China.

WC to EC, I feel like NYC and the rest of the eastcoast are making strides at Asian life. It's the little things that matter most to us and NYC has done well selling its Asian neighborhoods (chinatown Manhattan), restaurants, culture, and even sports figures (Lin) to the world. Its increasingly becoming more known as a place to live for Asians rather than a place to visit but it still has a long way to go before its impact is as influential as California. Asians have assimilated into society here, I for one can tell you many neighborhood watch programs out here have a fair amount of Asian volunteers, Asian politicians, lobbyists, journalists, news reporters, every job you can think of they have held or still do hold out here.

EC to WC, California is viewed as the gateway to the motherland but even though NYC still offers a lot for Asians. It's truly a global city in every sense of the word and I cant take anything away from that.

Doesn't matter anymore, its 2012 and the entire country is becoming more diverse. Asians are the largest immigration group into the US now for the first time surpassing Latinos and they aren't just settling in California but the other 49 as well, especially the states with already established immigration gateways like New York, Florida, Texas, Illinois, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Georgia, or North Carolina.

You can thank the Golden State Warriors for Lin =) Lin is a Bay Area product...born and raised in Palo Alto.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:11 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,272,711 times
Chinatown in New York is the largest, but San Fran's is more venerable. Toronto has a greater Chinese population though, but it has the highest Chinese population of any city outside China. New York has the largest Indian population in the country.

San Fran seems to dominate in the Pacific rim cultures, I don't think anyone would question that. Especially Japanese and Vietnamese.

As far as Koreans go, LA wins hands down. K-town is the largest Korean concentration outside Seoul and the new Grand Wilshire tower will be funded by Korea air in a gesture of kinship between the two cities. LA also wins for Middle eastern demographics, particularly Armenians and Persians, though I've seen what looked like a Saudi Oil barons on Rodeo Dr.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:16 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,517,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFG510 View Post
You can thank the Golden State Warriors for Lin =) Lin is a Bay Area product...born and raised in Palo Alto.
Lin won't have much connection to New York much longer either considering he's going to Houston. Money talks... Too bad for the Knicks they've got Raymond Felton as PG--that guy ruined the Blazers last season.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:05 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,749,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by git45 View Post
Chinatown in New York is the largest, but San Fran's is more venerable. Toronto has a greater Chinese population though, but it has the highest Chinese population of any city outside China. New York has the largest Indian population in the country.

San Fran seems to dominate in the Pacific rim cultures, I don't think anyone would question that. Especially Japanese and Vietnamese.

As far as Koreans go, LA wins hands down. K-town is the largest Korean concentration outside Seoul and the new Grand Wilshire tower will be funded by Korea air in a gesture of kinship between the two cities. LA also wins for Middle eastern demographics, particularly Armenians and Persians, though I've seen what looked like a Saudi Oil barons on Rodeo Dr.

This is one of the most objective posts I've seen on this thread so far.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFG510 View Post
I know but he got his stardom in New York which is what matters. He's done a lot for that organization. Looks like he's not playing for the Knicks anymore

Old 07-18-2012, 07:20 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,782,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Here's a picture of an Asian girl in the passenger's seat, like so many before and after her, before I had the interior redone in red leather. We were in her hometown of Pacifica, out in front of the Taco Bell there. It's just about the coolest Taco Bell on earth, right there on the beach... but yeah, Pacifica is a smaller town just south of SF on the coast. Very picturesque. The two girls I know from there are Japanese-American (pictured), and Korean-American.

I love those lips she has.

And her teeth, so white, even on my monitor. What kind of tooth paste does she use?

Old 07-18-2012, 08:23 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,539,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by git45 View Post

I'm pretty sure there are more Vietnamese in LA/OC or Houston than in San Fran.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:24 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
I'm pretty sure there are more Vietnamese in LA/OC or Houston than in San Fran.
LA has more Japanese as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City