Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which citys has the most Christmas spirit when visting Nyc,Los Angeles,Houston,Dallas,Chicago,Miami
NYC 67 51.54%
LOS ANGELES 9 6.92%
DALLAS 9 6.92%
HOUSTON 8 6.15%
MIAMI 4 3.08%
CHICAGO 33 25.38%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 11:17 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,960,053 times

Advertisements

I don't get why some people have trouble imagining Christmas being a spirited event in warm climates. When I studied abroad in Buenos Aires, Christmas was spectacular there. More spirited and decorated than even New York. And it was 70 degrees or so most days during the season. In the US, I've been in Miami, LA, SF, and New Orleans during the Christmas season and all were quite beautiful and spirited. Climate has little to do with Christmas. I will admit a fresh blanket of snow looks beautiful on Christmas day, but most of the major northern cities hardly ever get snow on Christmas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 01:43 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
You know, I've seen a lot of narrow mindedness on this forum and a lot of times I can brush it off as just the naturally inclination of people having trouble seeing life through a prism they've never experienced.

This whole "I can't imagine Christmas in a warm place" though is one of the most ignorant things I've ever heard. Newsflash: Jesus was born in a DESERT.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:58 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
You know, I've seen a lot of narrow mindedness on this forum and a lot of times I can brush it off as just the naturally inclination of people having trouble seeing life through a prism they've never experienced.

This whole "I can't imagine Christmas in a warm place" though is one of the most ignorant things I've ever heard. Newsflash: Jesus was born in a DESERT.
It was a very dense desert though

People though are accustomed to certain things but agree very much with your points

On this to me NYC still embodies a Christmas vibe that seems mostly unmatched on the whole, I love being in Manhattan around the holidays, it is magic whether 65 or 25 IMHO

Old 12-01-2011, 01:45 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,903,955 times
I have never been to Miami but would think that Miami would glamor up for christmas but evidently not!!

Old 12-01-2011, 03:12 PM

285 posts, read 437,961 times
You can keep your damn snow for x-mas!
In LA if you want snow you go up to the mountains next door and you'll find it there.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:35 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,755,398 times
Quote:

Lets be honest, is Christmas in the US really about the birth of Jesus? I know alot of Jews that celebrate both Christmas and Hanukah.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:52 PM

285 posts, read 437,961 times
^^^
Considering that the word itself for Christmas derives from Cristus I find it difficult to belive that anybody would ask
if Christmas in the US has anything to do with Christ? don't know if maybe that was a rethorical question?

I can choose to celebrate the Aztec god Texcatlipoca or for that matter celebrate Hanukah if it happens
to coincide with christmas time.
but that by itself that does not make it a christmas event, or christian celebration, of course if you are jewish you will celebrate Hanukah and not celebrate christmas, I think it would be a very strange to see jewish people celebrating christmas or vise-versa, but maybe it could be possible if you were part of a bi-religious household.

Last edited by daortiz; 12-01-2011 at 05:01 PM..

Old 12-01-2011, 05:14 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,519,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daortiz View Post
^^^
Considering that the word itself for Christmas derives from Cristus I find it difficult to belive that anybody would ask
if Christmas in the US has anything to do with Christ? don't know if maybe that was a rethorical question?

I can choose to celebrate the Aztec god Texcatlipoca or for that matter celebrate Hanukah if it happens
to coincide with christmas time.
but that by itself that does make it a christmas event, or christian celebration, of course if you are jewish you will celebrate Hanukah and not celebrate christmas, I think it would be a very strange to see jewish people celebrating christmas or vise-versa, but maybe it could be possible if you were part of a bi-religious household.

It isn't strange at all. In America Christmas is most definitely a mostly secular holiday, it definitely doesn't revolve around Jesus or anything much Christian here at all. It's something that gets alot of flak from people in my family, coming from a Polish Catholic immigrant family.

I know and have known so many tons of people who celebrate Christmas that don't see it as a religious day at all, maybe a holiday about togetherness, sharing and things like that at most. Examples I've known include many Jews, atheists, agnostics, Hindus, some Muslims even, people with no real religious opinions or views at all who make up the vast majority of people I've ever met who celebrate Christmas. If you want go to a country where most of that country actually celebrates Christmas as a real Christian holiday it certainly isn't this one, which I guess I should mention I don't care about because I realize this might sound a little critical.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:15 PM

669 posts, read 1,273,695 times
Quote:

First of all Jesus was most likely not even born in December, 2nd of all the holiday were really celebrating as Xmas is Saturnalia a ancient Roman pagan holiday, 3rd our modern interpretation of Xmas comes from Europe a few hundred years ago where in most nations it snows during winter like it does here in the Northeast and Midwest.

There's a reason almost every Xmas movie or special has a snowy Xmas as its setting.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:36 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd9124 View Post
First of all Jesus was most likely not even born in December, 2nd of all the holiday were really celebrating as Xmas is Saturnalia a ancient Roman pagan holiday, 3rd our modern interpretation of Xmas comes from Europe a few hundred years ago where in most nations it snows during winter like it does here in the Northeast and Midwest.

There's a reason almost every Xmas movie or special has a snowy Xmas as its setting.
This pushes it a bit much. Christians put the birth of Jesus celebration around the pagan holiday to coopt it. It is still about Jesus.

I agree completely about the snow part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City