Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2012, 07:55 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,583,688 times

Advertisements

Mutiny, I see Columbia as most influential in SC. Because it is the capitol, biggest and most centrally located.

I agree with you that Greenville is #3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 08:03 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Mutiny, I see Columbia as most influential in SC. Because it is the capitol, biggest and most centrally located.
I won't necessarily argue with that, but the Port of Charleston is pretty much THE economic engine of SC which is the main reason I put Charleston first. But you can make an argument for Columbia also.

But all three--Charleston, Columbia, and Greenville--are pretty close to each other. There aren't any huge gaps between first and third in SC like in other states since all three metros are roughly the same size.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:12 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,095,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
It's called the port of Savannah.
That's still nowhere near the overall economic impact of metro Augusta.. Please check the diffrences in GDP between Augusta and Savannah..

I believe this chart is from the year 2000.. As you can see even without Aiken & Edgefield counties in SC(both apart of metro Augusta)...

Metro Augusta still produces more revenue for the state....

Old 03-21-2012, 08:25 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
That's still nowhere near the overall economic impact of metro Augusta.. Please check the diffrences in GDP between Augusta and Savannah..

I believe this chart is from the year 2000.. As you can see even without Aiken & Edgefield counties in SC(both apart of metro Augusta)...

Metro Augusta still produces more revenue for the state....
Economic impact and GDP are two different things. The economic impact of the port of Savannah is greater Savannah's and Augusta's GDPs:
The port of Savannah has an economic impact of more than $27 billion and is credited with 300,000 direct and indirect jobs.

Official: Bankrupt mill should become state's third port - Atlanta Business Chronicle
You measure the economic impact of certain entities/sectors of the economy, which in Georgia's case would be things like Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, the port of Savannah/all of Georgia's ports, tourism/convention business, etc. The port has a statewide economic impact unlike anything else in the state aside from Hartsfield-Jackson.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:31 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,003,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Its a toss up between Austin and San Antonio.
You are right. I would give Austin the edge due to it being the state capital and home to UT. Texas would be one of the larger economies in the world if it was a country. State capitals have a lot of influence on that of course. San Antonio the easy pick for 4th.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:30 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,289,338 times
For New York, I'd say Rochester.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:39 PM

451 posts, read 694,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
1NYC
2Buffalo
3Rochester

Albany is the state capital but having the government there makes it useless since the NY govt is horrible.

Buffalo would be third.

No way Rochester is more important than Albany. Seriously?

Albany's size has nothing to do with it (although the metros are comparable at a million+). Its the political center for the state and the worlds most important city. The connection between Albany and NYC is undeniable as a lot of stuff that happens in NYC has to go through Albany.

Most would argue the most important corridor in NYS in from Albany to NYC.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:26 AM

3 posts, read 3,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
In Ohio, Cincinnati? (the largest metro in the state?) Only in the dreams of Ohio's other "2-Cs"--what were their names again?
Not true, the largest Metro Area in Ohio is Cleveland (2,077,240). Cincinnati's metro area is only 1,625,406 in Ohio; 2,130,151 if you add the Indiana and Kentucky counties. Columbus is larger in Ohio than Cincinnati, too. (1,836,536). btw, Cleveland and Columbus are the other C's

Old 03-22-2012, 02:06 AM

133 posts, read 236,406 times
I want to say Jersey City (Newark and Trenton being the most vital cities)
But I'll mention Paramus due to the 3 malls and $5 billion in annual revenues making it one of the largest shopping Meccas in the nation.

Overall
1. Newark
2. Trenton
3. Jersey City
4. Atlantic City
5. Paramus

I'd throw Paterson or Elizabeth in the mix, but I'm not sure what makes them so important outside Union and Passaic County. New Brunswick or Hoboken could be more important than Paterson/Elizabeth for all I know. Jersey City could knock Trenton off as runner up in the near future, if it ever sees the tremendous growth Hoboken saw this past census.

Last edited by ImOnTheMove; 03-22-2012 at 02:22 AM..

Old 03-22-2012, 04:35 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,386,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Virginia presents an interesting case, especially when you throw in the fact that they have counties that essentially function as cities. Just going by incorporated municipalities, I'd probably go with VA Beach with Richmond being first and Norfolk second. Throwing counties into the mix puts Fairfax County first, Richmond probably ranking second, and Norfolk third.
I totally disagree. I'd put it as:

Arlington
Alexandria
Fairfax (city)
Reston
Norfolk
Richmond
All other VA cities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City