Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2015, 02:52 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,643,598 times

Advertisements

Where was there Seattle boosting going on? The biggest boosting on this thread by far comes from DC and Philly. Seattle is tucked away in the corner of the country and so it doesn't get a proportionate share of coverage, in my opinion, however, it probably has more going up right now than either DC or Philly. I personally know of a few big announcements happening soon, and in terms of high rise residential, few cities in the country have as much going up at any given time as Seattle, and not as tall either. Seattle's economy is in major expansion mode and is a much stronger economy pretty much at any given time than Philly's and right now is stronger than DC's.

If there is any city that should be boosted more, it's Seattle when it comes to new projects getting out of the ground. It blows most cities out of the water, consistently, and frankly gets overshadowed by sheer repetitive boosting of a few other cities that really shouldn't be boosting as much as they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 03:29 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
DC's economy is twice that of Seattle's we've already had a thread on those two cities so no reason to go back to that. Both cities however, are doing enormous amounts of construction.

That comment of yours btw is a boost lol

Old 03-23-2015, 06:37 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
DC's economy is twice that of Seattle's we've already had a thread on those two cities so no reason to go back to that. Both cities however, are doing enormous amounts of construction.

That comment of yours btw is a boost lol
And Philly's economy, although not currently as robust, is $100B more than Seattle's lol.

I agree that his post is definitely the definition of a boost. Seattle is definitely not building as much as DC. The city building the most currently in the country is NYC - BY FAR. There are easily 60 highrises/skyscrapers under construction in NYC and that's not including Jersey City, Newark, and other smaller cities in the metro area.

I would rank the cities with the most highrise/skyscraper and large scale construction as:

1. NYC
2. DC
3. Miami
4. Chicago
5. San Francisco
6. Houston
7. Seattle
8. Los Angeles
9. Philadelphia
10. Boston

Let's not forget that NYC, Philadelphia, Los Angeles and San Francisco are the only buildings with Supertall skyscrapers currently under construction.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:12 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,643,598 times
It's not about size of economy in-place. Economic growth is what drives real estate development. Rent growth is what drives real estate development/redevelopment, not what's in place.

The fact of the matter is that Seattle's economy is growing much faster than most economies in the US, and right now that includes DC's and perpetually that includes Philadelphia's.

Look, Austin's economy is tiny compared to Detroit's. But Austin has about as many towers going up as Boston and Philly do right now and Detroit has nothing, and this is because Austin's economy has totally outsized growth right now.

RE: Supertalls, you can take my word at face value (which as a stranger and a poster on this site means nothing, I realize) that Seattle is going to be getting a supertall as well real soon. Outside of supertalls, Seattle has more skyscrapers going up than Philadelphia. Seattle's skyline is already arguably larger than Philadelphia's, despite being a smaller city and the center of a smaller metro. Once that supertall comes, there will be no question.

Not knocking on Philly, per se, just responding to the counter-claim against the amount of boosting of Philly/DC on this thread (and site). I don't live in Seattle. If I really cared about "competing" on C-D, being that I live in SF, I would have a difficult time swallowing the amount of investment going on in Seattle and I probably wouldn't be highlighting that particular city.

^^^Your list is pretty decent and I generally agree, minus two things:

I would put Miami ahead of DC in a heartbeat and Seattle ahead of Houston. I would also put Philadelphia and Los Angeles ahead of Houston at this point.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:43 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
It's not about size of economy in-place. Economic growth is what drives real estate development. Rent growth is what drives real estate development/redevelopment, not what's in place.

The fact of the matter is that Seattle's economy is growing much faster than most economies in the US, and right now that includes DC's and perpetually that includes Philadelphia's.

Look, Austin's economy is tiny compared to Detroit's. But Austin has about as many towers going up as Boston and Philly do right now and Detroit has nothing, and this is because Austin's economy has totally outsized growth right now.

RE: Supertalls, you can take my word at face value (which as a stranger and a poster on this site means nothing, I realize) that Seattle is going to be getting a supertall as well real soon. Outside of supertalls, Seattle has more skyscrapers going up than Philadelphia. Seattle's skyline is already arguably larger than Philadelphia's, despite being a smaller city and the center of a smaller metro. Once that supertall comes, there will be no question.

Not knocking on Philly, per se, just responding to the counter-claim against the amount of boosting of Philly/DC on this thread (and site). I don't live in Seattle. If I really cared about "competing" on C-D, being that I live in SF, I would have a difficult time swallowing the amount of investment going on in Seattle and I probably wouldn't be highlighting that particular city.

^^^Your list is pretty decent and I generally agree, minus two things:

I would put Miami ahead of DC in a heartbeat and Seattle ahead of Houston. I would also put Philadelphia and Los Angeles ahead of Houston at this point.
Out of building overs 10 floors tall: Austin has 8 under construction. Los Angeles has 8. Boston has 10. Philadelphia has 14. Washington DC has 15. San Francisco has 21. Seattle 22. Chicago 33. Miami has 35. Houston 47. NYC 87.

Seattle has 25 buildings over 400 feet. Philadelphia has 29.

Seattle has 11 buildings over 400 feet under construction. Philadelphia will have 4. So Seattle will pass Philadelphia in this metric bring it to 36, with Philadelphia at 33, but Philadelphia will still have the taller top buildings.

However, Seattle has 49 total buildings over 300 feet. Philadelphia? 85.

Seattle's skyline is definitely not larger than Philadelphia's.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:29 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
Why is there so much Philly construction anyway? It's not like it's a booming economy or has high job growth like Boston, SF, Seattle, D.C., Austin, or Houston.

I feel like there are some cities that are going to overbuild and then the bubble will burst.

Atlanta has high job growth(+65k last year on par with Boston and SF) and good 2010-2013 population growth(6.6%, Seattle had 7.2%) in the city itself, yet it just doesn't feel like it has as many projects as many of these cities. It even has good rent growth, then again when you look at the metro stats, Atlanta is top 10 for housing permits, both single family and multi-family so it's really weird.

Maybe Atlanta is just still behind and it's going to shine in the next 2 years?

Old 03-23-2015, 09:09 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
Where was there Seattle boosting going on? The biggest boosting on this thread by far comes from DC and Philly. Seattle is tucked away in the corner of the country and so it doesn't get a proportionate share of coverage, in my opinion, however, it probably has more going up right now than either DC or Philly. I personally know of a few big announcements happening soon, and in terms of high rise residential, few cities in the country have as much going up at any given time as Seattle, and not as tall either. Seattle's economy is in major expansion mode and is a much stronger economy pretty much at any given time than Philly's and right now is stronger than DC's.

If there is any city that should be boosted more, it's Seattle when it comes to new projects getting out of the ground. It blows most cities out of the water, consistently, and frankly gets overshadowed by sheer repetitive boosting of a few other cities that really shouldn't be boosting as much as they are.

2014 Residential Units Delivered City Proper:

Delivered: 6,908 units

Projects Under Construction City Proper:

Office: 17 Buildings (3,227,871 sq. feet)
Retail: 62 Buildings (1,786,853 sq. feet)
Residential: 87 Buildings (11,937 units)
Hospitality: 22 Hotels (2,320 rooms)
Education: 21 Buildings (3,515,317 sq. feet)

Total Estimated Value of Projects City Proper: $9.2 Billion

D.C. Development Pipeline City Proper:

Office: 104 Buildings (48,201,812 sq. feet)
Retail: 181 Buildings (5,550,027 sq. feet)
Residential: 202 Buildings (52,874 units)
Hospitality: 73 Hotels (4,850 rooms)
Education: 33 Buildings (4,638,022 sq. feet)

Total Estimated Value of Projects City Proper: $38.2 Billion

Source: DC Development Report: 2014/2015 Edition

**This is just city proper.**

Old 03-23-2015, 09:18 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
Out of building overs 10 floors tall: Austin has 8 under construction. Los Angeles has 8. Boston has 10. Philadelphia has 14. Washington DC has 15. San Francisco has 21. Seattle 22. Chicago 33. Miami has 35. Houston 47. NYC 87.

Seattle has 25 buildings over 400 feet. Philadelphia has 29.

Seattle has 11 buildings over 400 feet under construction. Philadelphia will have 4. So Seattle will pass Philadelphia in this metric bring it to 36, with Philadelphia at 33, but Philadelphia will still have the taller top buildings.

However, Seattle has 49 total buildings over 300 feet. Philadelphia? 85.

Seattle's skyline is definitely not larger than Philadelphia's.
The Capital Riverfront neighborhood alone has 11 buildings over 10 stories under construction right now in D.C. The Mt. Vernon Triangle neighborhood has 6 buildings over 10 stories under-construction. Can't speak for the other cities, but DC has over 30 buildings over 10 stories under-construction.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:26 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,109,900 times
DC is most likely one of best if not the best city in country at having 30 buildings under construction. Hands down.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:28 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,514,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Why is there so much Philly construction anyway?
I feel like there are some cities that are going to overbuild and then the bubble will burst.
Yeah, one thing they don't usually do here is over build, i.e. we have a huge population and relatively small number of towers. Most are hotels in which we are sorely lacking. Last time our occupancy rate was as high as 2014, Harry Truman was president. Others are corp. HQs for local companies, office buildings in University city, condo/apartment towers because people want to live downtown, and some are completely random like this Mormon meeting house /apartment tower.

http://media.philly.com/images/600*4...ormon13z-g.JPG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City