Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2013, 10:45 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post

So the DT of DC added 21% to federal or direct federal support jobs - equaling like 375K in total - that is what like 75-80% of all jobs DT or the expanded DT jobs

the region has 1.76 million Federal or Federal support jobs - what is the total workforce in the MSA like 2.4 million. DC has a strong reliance on govt spend

http://www.spur.org/files/u2/disburs...ederaljobs.gif

Since 1990 Govt related jobs in DC have grown by 59% - amazing

Last edited by JMT; 11-07-2013 at 06:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 11:52 AM

558 posts, read 716,020 times
Quote:
You have never been to Gallery Place have you? Is there anywhere in San Fran with 24 hour vibrancy like Gallery Place?
I have not. Just judging from the images it doesn't look any different, similar amounts of people walking around, similar buildings, etc. I'd say most of San Francisco's downtown is pretty vibrant at all times, especially around Union Square, SOMA, Market Street, Castro, Tenderloin, Mission, North Beach etc. Perhaps not at 4 in the morning, but I am kind of doubting Gallery Place is either. Perhaps this area is a notch above SOMA in terms of vibrancy (SOMA is still developing), but there are lots of places in San Francisco that seem quite a bit busier than anywhere in DC, any time of day. San Francisco has a really dense core.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:21 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,757,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
So the DT of DC added 21% to federal or direct federal support jobs - equaling like 375K in total - that is what like 75-80% of all jobs DT or the expanded DT jobs

the region has 1.76 million Federal or Federal support jobs - what is the total workforce in the MSA like 2.4 million. DC has a strong reliance on govt spend

Since 1990 Govt related jobs in DC have grown by 59% - amazing

The total non-farm jobs for the MSA is 3,068,500 jobs I believe.

Table 3. Employees on nonfarm payrolls by state and metropolitan area

Old 11-06-2013, 04:55 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Quote:
Houston, SF, SD? I don't see any vibrant urban districts in those cities around their stadiums? Could you please point me to what you are talking about? All I see is parking lots and low intensity development.
Are you serious? You've never actually been to the area around SF and SD ballpark's have you? Both are pretty vibrant, especially San Diego's since it's borders the Gaslamp District where there is a ton of nightlife and dining. You really proved you have no clue what you're talking about with this subject when it comes to what others cities have and do.

This looks like parking lots and low rise development to you:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=san+d...296.17,,0,-1.7

Definitely better than what you find and will find around Nationals Park. That suburban looking TOD-like development won't change that lol.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:03 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Are you serious? You've never actually been to the area around SF and SD ballpark's have you? Both are pretty vibrant, especially San Diego's since it's borders the Gaslamp District where there is a ton of nightlife and dining. You really proved you have no clue what you're talking about with this subject when it comes to what others cities have and do.

Definitely better than what you find and will find around Nationals Park. That suburban looking TOD-like development won't change that lol.
I was in the Gaslamp District during a baseball game last spring, definitely some decent foot traffic.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:24 PM

37,135 posts, read 39,394,719 times
I wonder when gentrification in the Bronx is going to push hard enough that the area around Yankee stadium is going to be awesome. I mean, they could just open up parts of it such as concession stands for non-event days. Does any stadium/arena do that actually? I sort of wish Barclays Center would do so as there are some pretty good eats inside. Then again, the neighborhoods surrounding Barclays Center are probably some of the best the US has to offer, so I suppose it's unnecessary--but it would be great for Yankee Stadium. Barclays Center even has the suburban anomaly of the Atlantic Terminal mall where you can gawk at the offerings of Target, Applebee's and Chuck E. Cheese's while that entire complex is surrounded by an assortment of independent shops, eateries, and performance venues. Go America!

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 11-06-2013 at 06:29 PM..

Old 11-06-2013, 06:32 PM

37,135 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
I know many people struggle with remembering the context of different discussion's, however, this discussion began because Oy made a statement about the waste of resources (public money) that goes into building a stadium. I responded by saying I would agree for other cities, however, National Park in D.C. is paying for itself and Verizon Center was privately funded. I said any proposal for a football stadium would be privately funded or it wouldn't happen. Just trying to keep you guys on task
No, these are wastes no matter what. A nation putting that much of its time and resources into this stuff is wasting its resources.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:

I was talking about Gallery Place, not Nationals Park. Nationals Park is in the process of getting built still. It has, however, paid itself off which is the only reason I brought it up. Go back and read.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:

I guess I just feel like Gallery Place has more life than any other stadium I have seen outside of Madison Square Garden in NYC for obvious reasons.

Dancing down Gallery Place. - YouTube

Old 11-06-2013, 10:20 PM

281 posts, read 472,966 times
Quote:

He's admitted in the past that he's never been outside of the Northeast, and other times he has said he has LOL, whatever's convenient I guess
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City