Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2015, 09:53 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times

Advertisements

Interesting map of the 17 highrises (over 200 feet tall) currently under construction in the downtown area

Mapping Chicago's 17 Highrises Under Construction Right Now - Curbed Maps - Curbed Chicago

More starts are expected this summer, but for the current crop:

9 apartment highrises
4 hotels
2 office buildings
1 hospital
1 condo building

Last edited by Chicago60614; 02-18-2015 at 10:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 12:23 PM

591 posts, read 782,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Interesting map of the 17 highrises (over 200 feet tall) currently under construction in the downtown area

Mapping Chicago's 17 Highrises Under Construction Right Now - Curbed Maps - Curbed Chicago

More starts are expected this summer, but for the current crop:

9 apartment highrises
4 hotels
2 office buildings
1 hospital
1 condo building
I hope we get more condo units in the future

Old 02-20-2015, 02:09 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
I love Capitol Riverfront & am thinking of moving their from my H Street apartment. But I think I might wait until more construction is completed, i don't want to live in a construction zone
Well, this neighborhood is going to be the densest neighborhood in all of D.C. I used to think it would be NOMA/Union Market, however, a lot of the sites that were slated for office are switching to residential in Capital Riverfront. The neighborhood is approaching a total buildout of 15,000 housing units. At full buildout, some tracts could easily eclipse 80k people per square mile.

JBG acquires majority of Akridge's Half Street project by Nationals Park - Washington Business Journal

Old 02-24-2015, 08:28 AM

The Capital Riverfront Neighborhood is on fire. This neighborhood is going to be a real force in the city!

First Phase of 670-Unit Anacostia River Development Gets Approval

Last edited by MDAllstar; 02-24-2015 at 08:40 AM..

Old 02-24-2015, 10:23 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownWonder View Post
I hope we get more condo units in the future
Well the new $900 million high rise getting into gear for Lakeshore East should signify a lot as far as the red hot apartment development market spreading to condos.

The 88 floor building is supposed to be 400 condos and 250 luxury hotel rooms. That should make a statement.

Another highrise just kicked off since I posted that link last week, for 247 apartments in a 30 story highrise just west of the Kennedy Expressway in West Town.

Another 18 floor highrise not on that list is also under construction as of this week. Coming in at only 35 condo units though, it will be a luxury building with only 2 units on most of its 18 floors plus the penthouse.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:25 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,643,781 times
Downtown Development: The Latest Info on 96 Projects - LA Downtown News

Quote:
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES - The development boom in Downtown Los Angeles is hitting a new level: Not only are projects being built, but they are going vertical. In other words, the Central City is literally on an upswing.

This is important because it speaks to increasing density in one of the few communities in Los Angeles that welcomes it. Whereas residents of Hollywood, the Westside and the Valley frequently protest when a new high-rise is proposed, in Downtown it is often embraced as a means to give the area a critical mass.

This is being seen on numerous fronts. The 73-story Wilshire Grand replacement is rising at Seventh and Figueroa streets and the 33-floor Onni Tower at 888 S. Olive St. is nearing completion. The multi-tower Metropolis near L.A. Live is under construction and the development firm Trumark Urban just broke ground on a 22-story condominium complex at 1050 S. Grand Ave. in South Park. That is literally just the start, as drawings have been made and entitlements are being sought for another batch of high-rises, some 40 or even 50 stories.

That’s not the extent of the boom. The rush of low-rise rental complexes continues, and things are also heated on the civic front, with, among other projects, the Federal Courthouse steaming forward and the recent groundbreaking of the replacement of the Sixth Street Viaduct.

In the following pages, Los Angeles Downtown News provides the latest updates on 96 projects. Expect things to continue to look up, figuratively and literally...

Old 02-24-2015, 01:00 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
Is there a city in this country that's not experiencing a fairly unprecedented building boom in the core -- particularly residential development?

Old 02-24-2015, 01:05 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,886,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Is there a city in this country that's not experiencing a fairly unprecedented building boom in the core -- particularly residential development?
San Bernardino, CA

Old 02-24-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post

No, I think all major cities are seeing major development. It's great! Everyone is returning to the city!

Old 02-25-2015, 08:46 PM

741 posts, read 1,113,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Well, this neighborhood is going to be the densest neighborhood in all of D.C. I used to think it would be NOMA/Union Market, however, a lot of the sites that were slated for office are switching to residential in Capital Riverfront. The neighborhood is approaching a total buildout of 15,000 housing units. At full buildout, some tracts could easily eclipse 80k people per square mile.

JBG acquires majority of Akridge's Half Street project by Nationals Park - Washington Business Journal
Take a look at the map I created in Google for completed, under construction, and planned residential activity in Capitol Riverfront/Navy Yard in DC. I stayed within the bounds of Census Tract 72. Let me know if I missed anything.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8761...Q.kSDoYqsy-r0Y

And, here's the map I made for Mount Vernon Triangle:
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9023...Q.kAnZP5HlCH5o

Last edited by revitalizer; 02-25-2015 at 09:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City