Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2015, 07:29 PM

539 posts, read 523,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by portlandnewb View Post
Uh, sure Brooklyn is

Pushed to smaller cities where they can afford to live
I bet more full time bands live or started just in the borough of Brooklyn in the past ten years than any other city in the US besides maybe LA.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:46 PM

116 posts, read 86,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers1523 View Post
I bet more full time bands live or started just in the borough of Brooklyn in the past ten years than any other city in the US besides maybe LA.
Show us a link and we might believe you..... regardless, the music scene is way down in NYC compared to the 70's 80's and 90's because of the higher cost of living

Old 08-05-2015, 09:38 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlandnewb View Post
More does not equal better...... quality over quantity..... look up any rankings on best restaurants and cultural amenities

Don't let the media fool you into believing NYC is the greatest

Oh, and Washington DC and San Francisco have better quality amenities than NYC too
Give me a break...sure Chicago, DC, and SF hold their own but they simply don't hold a candle to NY in terms of cultural amenities, restaurants, etc. and any objective person knows that.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:30 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,427,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Overrated: Minneapolis - Overpriced and overhyped. Nothing really special, just above average mid-sized city. Nothing stands out except perhaps the nice parks and lakes that dot the city. Locals have a stuck up attitude about this city. It's a good city, but it's not great. The dining, cultural activities, museums, etc. are all just what any big city should have, nothing really special.
I actually agree with this. While Minneapolis probably doesn't get much hype in the Northeast or the West, it definitely does in the Midwest. And people from there are stuck-up about their city, without a doubt.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:27 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,857,329 times
Milwaukee is very underrated. There's a ton of interesting stuff to see and do there, and the city has a distinctive character. Which isn't to say it doesn't have some serious problems, just that the bad and the good exist side by side, as opposed to the bad blotting out the good.

Also, St. Paul > Minneapolis in a lot of ways, but between the two Minneapolis seems to get way more respect.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:00 AM

275 posts, read 415,880 times
Boston is probably the most overrated city in the North. It's about as expensive as NYC, San Francisco, and DC, with not as many amenities or career opportunities as those cities. The city pretty much shuts down by 9pm, as it's filled mostly with college students and tourists during the day. Don't get me wrong, I like Boston a lot, but I just don't understand why it's so expensive to live there. Philadelphia and Chicago offer just as much (if not more) at a much cheaper price tag.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:09 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,526,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers1523 View Post
This was definitely true up until recently - Brooklyn was easily this country's hipster/trust fundie capital during that time. Undeniably ground zero to what people seem to think the new generation of "hipsters" are. Word spread, money invaded, and creative types have been moving out (some to Queens, others to different points around the country) over the last few years.

I think the biggest, most active local scene currently is in the Bay Area, though. LA hasn't been a major player in decades.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:51 AM

574 posts, read 688,848 times
Underrated- Philly, Milwaukee, and Minneapolis

Old 08-06-2015, 01:32 PM

636 posts, read 611,087 times
Overrated: Boston and DC

Underrated: Bmore

Old 08-06-2015, 02:05 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,129,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Bones View Post
Boston is probably the most overrated city in the North. It's about as expensive as NYC, San Francisco, and DC, with not as many amenities or career opportunities as those cities. The city pretty much shuts down by 9pm, as it's filled mostly with college students and tourists during the day. Don't get me wrong, I like Boston a lot, but I just don't understand why it's so expensive to live there. Philadelphia and Chicago offer just as much (if not more) at a much cheaper price tag.
X.

Boston is beautiful no doubt about it, but I've never felt a sense of rush to see the place like I do NYC, SF, LA and DC. I even want to go to Chicago more than Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City